Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this makes me so mad !!! i cant stand it...i HATE that place !!! they never have boxers .. all their dogs come from australia new zealand so they say !! papers are fake or lost...etc   BUT charge upwards of $3000+ per dog..no matter the breed !! ive seen dogs from there ..as pups and adults...neighbors had one...few people at the dog park..and its pathetic what they pass off as pure bred dogs !! makes me sick and disgusted...

so now ..after years of MOSTLY (not all) well bred boxers on the island...a big litter of garbage boxers jsut came in..and please dont take me saying that as anything except the breeding quality b/c you know i love all our boxers...and Isis is probably the farthest you can get from well bred...but its what its going to cause on a small island that i am angry about.

and of course no neuter contracts nothing...and people are begging for boxers here..placing ads in papers, craigslist etc...so you can see where this will go in about 8 months...byb's breeding these poor puppy mill boxers..

PLUS..once these dogs get older and have terrible health issues or dont LOOK good..they will be thrown away...

i cant understand how this place can get away with this  :twisted:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Re: puppy mill BOXERS came into Hawaii last week GRRRRRRRRRR

Ky.....that is terrible...I understand your frustration.  I am having a hard time comprehending the stupidity of some people and their decisions.   People see dollar signs.....regardless of what the long term effects are.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

http://www.petscentral.org/

LIERS !!! how can they do it? but i guess they can huh b/c they are...UNREAL !!

G

·
0 Posts

wow i can see how you would be so concerned.  without good breeding on islands, it could make a real mess of all breeds!  i'd be pissed too.

aren't there any responsible breeders in hawaii, so ppl can get a health tested, standard breed dog?

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

there are a few really great males & females but they are still too young to know if everything is going to be good enough for breeding...all under 2...

there is one good akc breeder on the big island but they have a waiting list of course and people jsut dont get it that the wait so SO SO worth it..

·
Registered
1,552 Posts

I'd imagine they come from Australia/NZ because it's rabies-free, too.  Puppies coming in from the US would be subject to a 120-day quarantine period - not as easy to sell five- or six-month old puppies!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts

I hate to hear that Ky, how maddening that people can't wait for a well bred boxer.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts

$3000 per dog?  :-O  That is just insane. And people are too stupid to wait for a well bred pup from a responsible breeder.  :doh:
Are there any boxer rescues there Ky?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

Wow Ky, that is awful...Is there nothing that can be done? Or are people that ignorant and stupid to pay that kind of maoney for a badly bred dog? Amazing

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Jen..the law here is 10 months old..so to get a pup from anywhere else on your own...HAS to be over 10 months...except other hawaiian islands...

Lisa...there are rescues as far as general ones...but mostly humane society and private ones...no boxer rescues...matter of fact i havent heard of any breed having a rescue here...and the rescues on the mainland DONT come here to get dogs...pretty sad...ALOT of homeless cats & dogs here :(

·
Registered
1,552 Posts

Sorry, I was just looking at the general Hawaii import rules - didn't realize the different islands had different ones! :)

·
Registered
421 Posts

I'm so feeling your pain.  My dear friend bought a husky from them a couple months before we got Eddie. She looks to be in the standard and is a pretty dog, but has a couple of behavior issue, which I think stem from being taken from the litter to early. But, my friend has done a great job with her husky. She recently adpoted a male husky from a military family PCSing as well, also bought from same said place. She wants to do health testing and also make sure they are good to go standard wise and breed them, but seeing as they are both from Australia she needs to some family history on the pups. I told her I thought she would be better off fixing them both and just having good pets, but who knows if she will listen. In some ways I can't wait to get back to the states.

On a funnier note though, I was talking with my 6yo son about how Lenny is ours to have in our family forever and he got all teary eyed and said "Our dogs will never be on Craigslist. Right mom?". I assured him they would never would. I guess he had seen me more than once looking on there before we got Lenny.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

OMG thats so cute ~!!!! hahahahhaha Cl here is aweful isnt it

ya that puppy place is horrible !!!

how's Len anyway? anytime you wanna go to the dog park let me know...or have a playdate here at our house eveen...pretty good sized yard and mine arent territorial when it comes to non aggressive dogs..esp pups :)

·
Registered
15 Posts

I can't remember the name of it anymore but there's a puppy place off of Nimitz around Sand Island access Rd I believe back behind all the warehouse looking buildings. The turn in is right before the wine store, it may be right there at Nimitz and Mokauea St. I really can't remember exactly but they had a good selection there usually and the people were great. All the dogs there looked good and healthy and I've seen a boxer or two there when we went.

I hope you can find something out there I know it can be hard

·
Registered
498 Posts

PokeFan,

The place you are talking about is Pet Central, and we here in Hawaii (Ky and myself) do think is a puppy mill. In fact, as I have been reading most all dogs coming from pet stores come from farms where no care is given to the dog and all focus is on making a profit. No reputable breeder would sell to a pet store. Oprah did a story on this on her show last Friday.

Why don't responsible breeders sell to pet stores? Because they care too much about where their dogs are going and want to ensure that the dogs that they have worked so hard to breed properly go to good homes. Makes sense, right?

I will NEVER get a dog in a pet store. It's basically just supporting a industry that treats animals as livestock and will not give the animals the proper care. In fact, all over this forum, there are awful stories of people that purchase dogs from pet stores or online and the nightmares in terms of health and behavior problems that come as a result.

Theresa

·
Registered
421 Posts

Well said Theresa! This is the place I was talking about. They import these poor pups and yeah, they won't have rabies, but what else could be wrong with them? Besides health issue unknown to buyer, there can be other issues down the line such as housebreaking and temperment problems.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts

:oops: Here's my sad story: Eight years ago, in 2000, I BELIEVED a "farm supply" store when they said they didn't EVER deal with puppy mill pups. I made the mistake of falling in love with a baby Whippet they had. (I don't consider Angelina a MISTAKE now, though...) She's had behavioral problems (fear of being alone, nursing on her stuffed animals to this day when she's stressed!) because I know she was taken away from her mother too early--among other attrocities at the "breeder" she came from in Kansas. Long story short, I call her my $700 rescue Whippet. Now she has Addison's Disease. I don't know if it's inherited or what, but we caught it in time. Now, because of the steroid therapy she's on, she's the FATTEST Whippet in town! (She looks like a wiener dog with long legs...but she's ALIVE!!) I, too, saw Oprah on Friday. I couldn't watch a few parts of the puppy mills being shown. All I could picture was my poor girl being born to a sad mother in that kind of environment. It wasn't Angelina's fault, I had to tell myself--and she's had a wonderful life. She probably won't live as long as most Whippets (18 or 19). She gets a lot of pleasure rough housing with Bibby. (Instead of her usual British accent, she turns into Anna Nicole Smith when he sniffs her..."Hey, Baaaaybeeee", she drawls.  LOL!

You guys, please forgive me for being so gullible back then--but I do have a wonderful girl.  Again--it wasn't her fault.

Julia

Attachments

·
Registered
421 Posts

What a pretty girl your whippet is. Nothing wrong with being chubby. :D

BTW Ky, I would love to get together. Late afternoon Saturdays or mid-afternoons on Sundays are good for us. Weekdays I can do walks though as I can have the baby in the stroller and contained. lol The dogs seem to walk better next to the stroller too for some reason. Go figure.

G

·
0 Posts

we've all had our gullible moments.  that oprah show was great for showing just how horrible those conditions can be at back yard breeder farms.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts