Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just wondering what most other Boxer breeders do about heart murmurs in their puppies discovered at the final vet exam. I am talking about low grade 1 or 2 of course. As they are common in puppies, I still don’t feel the majority of people looking to buy a puppy would willingly pay for a puppy with a murmur when they could find one without. Most people don’t understand and think they are a serious issue. So do you keep the puppy(ies) at home until they are cleared completely? As we also know sometimes boxers can also have a low grade murmur and never cause heart issues. Do you not disclose the murmur, and then explain later that yes the vet found a slight murmur and that they are common and guide them with the appropriate steps to take and also let them know that they are covered by the health guarantee? Or do you disclose the murmur before the puppy goes home? Everyone IMO is wanting a perfect puppy and feel they will walk away when the puppy more than likely will be just fine or else take the puppy and then not be comfortable with constant worry until the murmur is gone. Much research coming up shows that as many as 50% of Boxer puppies have murmurs with 95% of those being begnin. So what is everyone doing with those puppies with murmurs to get them into loving homes that they deserve? Also assuming parents have had echos as well as breed recommended health testing cleared.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
If I were purchasing a puppy , it would have to be from health tested sire & dam preferably 3 generations. If they were clear on heart issues I would not have a problem with a puppy with a low grade murmur, 1 a 2 would have me more concerned and I may not be willing to pay as much $ as I would be taking a chance but knowing what I do about murmurs in pups I would probably go ahead. I would disclose this information if I were reputable and perhaps have literature on murmurs. If it was a puppy from someone just breeding their dog who had no genetic testing or were breeding with no background I probably still would give the dog a home but I would only pay a nominal fee. But then again someone breeding that way probably wouldn't even disclose it. That being said...my most recent dog is a standard poodle, while I love my boxer I could not find one from health tested parents in the vicinity and while I also like st poodles one basically fell in my lap from health tested, proven in conformation parents, which is why I ended up with him. I constantly worry about the boxer that something will go wrong, he is by far the best of the best, but not from health tested stock.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts