Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My work schedule is changing and I will be working some 12hr days and was wondering if it would be a good idea if I could keep my 7 week old puppy out side while I am gone. I would be keeping him and my 14 week old lab/golden retriever mix in a puppy play pen in my fenced backyard while I am at work. Its a nice size and it will have a dog house and plenty of food and water for the both of them. I am in the process of crate training (it working great so far) and dont want to keep him kooped up in his crate while at work and was wondering if doing this would have any effect on the training. He stays in it some while I am doing stuff in the yard and cant keep an eye on him and he is fine in it. What are your thoughts on this. Thanks for the help.

Andrew

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I don't know where you live but boxers really don't tend to do well in the heat. The boxer is considered a Brachycephalic breed, which means their mouth and nose areas are significantly smaller than longer nosed breeds. They have less receptors, and they have a greater chance of heat exhaustion and heat stroke.
Boxers really do not make good outside dogs. They are absolutely dependant upon the companionship of their families. This is not a dog to be left alone unattended for hours on end. It is common to find a Boxer who suffers from separation anxiety. They need to be around people and they thrive on this special companionship. Boxers can develop unwelcome behaviors such as digging, barking and chewing if ignored or become bored. They have the potential to do a great deal of damage (they are powerful chewers) if they are not in a suitable environment. There are too many dangers outside for them as well. Someone can steal them, or a bad storm could happen. Lord knows what two pups could get into.
Maybe you can get somebody to let the dogs out while you are at work. I know this is not the answer you wanted to hear but I just do not think a 7 week old puppy and a 14 week old puppy should be left unattended outside while you are at work.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I have to agree with Tootsie on this..2 pups, even in a closed in enviroment? The potential for something happening is big.....I've learned an awful lot over the years since we first brought Buck home and a lot of what I did, I know now was soo wrong, including leaving him outside while we were at work. Even living in So Cal, which has a pretty mild spring, it was the wrong thing to do. My ex did come home at lunch to check up on Buck and would play with him for a bit, but still, we were darn lucky! The worst that happened was a huge hole on the side of the house and then the destruction of the Malibu lights that we had spent all w/end installing....Grrrrrr....Chloesmom had her pup stolen from her yard while she just went to the store, so yes, anything can happen...

·
Registered
9 Posts
BOXERS ARE VERY SENSITIVE TO TEMP.

IMO, they should never be outside (outdoors) more than a couple of hours.

but maybe i just spoil mine.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. I am going to try to see if one of my nephews can come buy and let them out while I am gone to work.  The spot where the pen was going be is very shaded and out of sight. And mybe out like that 2 days a week. But I will call someone today to do it for me. Thanks

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Some dogs, and Boxers seem to be more prone, are very allergic to stinging insects.  We almost lost Valentine once when she was stung - the dogs went out to play, can't have been out more than 10 minutes or so, she came running back in and collapsed, then broke out in hives all over.  After a trip to the emergency room she was fine, but I'd hate to think what might have happened if we hadn't been home....

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I dont reccomend leaving your pups out. As samsonsmom said- i had my puppy stolen from my yard, and all i did was run to the store to grab one item. When i came home she was gone. Which is why i have the seperate sig because i still hope that my baby girl will come home. Any who - not to take the thread over- As peeps before me have said. Boxers dont do well in heat. My girls will get a little warm even when inside if i dont keep fans on in the rooms they are in. I now have a fan in every room in the house :D I work 10 hour days 4 days a week, and luckily my boyfriend is home more often so he does take the dogs out for their walks. I would try to get a neighbor or friend or family memeber to come by the house during the day and play with them, then walk and feed them. That would be the best thing.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Chloesmom\";p=\"15419 said:
I dont reccomend leaving your pups out. As samsonsmom said- i had my puppy stolen from my yard, and all i did was run to the store to grab one item. When i came home she was gone. Which is why i have the seperate sig because i still hope that my baby girl will come home. Any who - not to take the thread over- As peeps before me have said. Boxers dont do well in heat. My girls will get a little warm even when inside if i dont keep fans on in the rooms they are in. I now have a fan in every room in the house :D I work 10 hour days 4 days a week, and luckily my boyfriend is home more often so he does take the dogs out for their walks. I would try to get a neighbor or friend or family memeber to come by the house during the day and play with them, then walk and feed them. That would be the best thing.

Just out of curiosity, what was your outdoor arrangement?  On a lead attached to a stake in the ground or a tree?  Inside a fence?  If so, was it a small chain link fence (4ft) or a tall fence that completely blocked view of the animal?  Could the dog been seen outside from the street/sidewalk??

I only ask because I do safety/security work and I look at this like I would a security risk assessment - each situation is different and has different risk factors.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I live in a townhome, but each townhome has a 6ft privacy fence surrounding the back yard. There is no way she could have been seen from any angle. she was free to roam the back yard at any time when we were home and the yard had a dog house for her if she got tired she could have flopped in there. At the time she was taken i had left her alone for an hour at most, and i dont even believe it was that long. The only people that knew we had her where those who saw us walking her around the townhome community.

·
Registered
126 Posts
you could find a doggies day care for them and they will do very well there cause there will be other dogs there too for them to play with and they will make sure they will be comfortable with them. :D  :D

·
Registered
508 Posts
When mine were pups i just layed a whole bunch of newpaper down in the bathroom so they wouldnt be out in the heat or stolen by an idiot or anything. Yeah i had a lot of mess to clean when i had gotten home but at least i knew that they would be safer there than outside. Just make sure they dont ruin the edge of your carpet, i have to replace mine, and also mine chewed the drawers under the sink and a few scratches on the door.

Im just glad that i have repairs instead of not having my babies around.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Talked with my nephews and one of them is going to come and let the pups out while I am working during the day. Going to work on puppy proofing the sunroom this weekend so that they can stay in there while I am working.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
RowdyboyHank\";p=\"15642 said:
Talked with my nephews and one of them is going to come and let the pups out while I am working during the day. Going to work on puppy proofing the sunroom this weekend so that they can stay in there while I am working.
Wonderful news!! I'm happy they will have an inside room out of the elements and dangers.  :D

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Yea for the nephews!  :) Glad to hear that you got someone to help out. I think you would feel much better about them knowing that they can be checked up on...Oh, the things we do for our babies, Lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts