Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boxer Kingston is a sweet boy and typically gets along with all dogs and people. Definitely not a dominant boy as he has no problems Allowing other dogs to bully him. He shares food, toys etc. but recently he has had issues at the dog park with two male puppies. Where he seems to generally like them. Licking playing etc. but then stands over them and if other dogs approach the puppy he lays on him and growls. At first i thought maybe he was being aggressive to the puppy. But he seems to really like him. Have you ever seen a boxer become possessive over a puppy or other dog?

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Yeah, .. with rare acceptation, your not really gonna find "Well Trained, Behaved Dog's," at your average Dog Park. If the Park is large enough for them to stay away from others? You might see them, and you can spot them because they scan the horizon to "Protect there Dog's from tool's and there dog's and they look for "threat's.

Dog Parks can be like the "Shoot out at the OK Coral." "Some Dog's," are just looking for another Dog, to cock the shotgun and all HE$$ will break loose! Personnel I have no use for someone that take two puppies? To a Dog Park and let them get "Punked," as it were? But whatever that's his problem ... which he most likely will pay for down the road?

But if your dog is gonna play "Top Dog," at the Dog Park? Then he has a "target on his back," and sooner are later a "Dog," will show up to take him down. And when/if that happens, this would be good to know. :

ANd just so you know, if "Crap Goes," down and you uh run and or stand by helpless and let you dog fend himself ... he will remember it uh if your lucky.

Thye Best Advise is don't go to the Dog Park!

But hey if your gonna go "anyway," this is what you should look for and it sound's like your dog is well on the way to making this list.

And Oh yeah ... beware of the owners! Clearly not the two puppies guy, he's an A$$, but Dogs have been Shot and Killed, by owner's who felt the need to protect there Dog. Bear Bear was gunned dog by an off Duty Office more than a Decade ago. Cuz he felt his German Shepard was under threat! His dog, was not but Bear Bear was still DEAD!

And my Struddell was a well balanced "Dog Friendly Dog," but there was "Zero," chance, of every meeting her at a "Dog Park?" If any dog ever laid a tooth on her with "intent to do harm? I'd get that dog off her and go after the owner! Law Enforcement and Lawyers would most likely be involved? I don't need the hassle, cuz bottom line, once you step thur those gate's, it is "Implied Consent," so you know don't be an A$$ if thing's go wrong! Not how I roll, so no one had/has an issue with my dog's. But that is just me. Welcome Aboard. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply! I read the links shared and think I am starting to think the dog park is more bad than good. I am still not sure that Kingston was bullying…. He is pretty submissive even to small dogs and especially to larger dogs similar to him. It seems more to me like he was being possessive over the younger pup like how a dog with be with a bone or toy Which it wasn’t two together it was two separate occasions. He generally was playful with the younger dog and was only when other dogs interfered did he try to stand above and kind of sit on the younger dog. I corrected him and removed him from the situation immediately. Allowed him back once he was in a calm state. If this is act of aggression i can’t help but wonder why is he exhibiting it on a dog he definitely liked and not on other dogs who have not been so nice to him. I have noticed that at our park there does seem to be an established pack amongst dogs and owners who are there every day. I have been experimenting with going later and Kingston has been more relaxed and enjoying himself ….. until of course these last two incidents. I definitely have to work more on his recall. He is pretty responsive especially when I say it’s time to go. But i need to work more on recall in hectic situations. I have considered a remote training collar mostly because it’s been very hard to get him to NOT jump on people at the park. At home he is getting better mannered. He is just over a year old and very much a puppy in so many ways. Thanks again for your insight. I’m definitely going to work on some things you mentioned! I am definitely reaching a point where i think the dog park is more trouble than it’s worth.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I think maybe kingston was trying to dominate the puppy some not violently just telling the puppy to cool it he probably does like this pup but he is also a maturing male. Personally I don’t like dog parks too many people there that are totally ignorant of dog behavior and it’s just not a safe place plus it’s a breeding ground for fleas and parasites and any other virus that’s going around for dogs. Not a great place for training either your dog isn’t going to be paying much attention to you when all the other activity is going on. I do not like any kind of remote collars I have trained lots of dogs never used one of those the best thing to do working on the recall is get a long leash like 20ft or more get some pocket treats or a favorite squeak toy let him out to the end of the leash call him back to you with a firm voice and reward him when he comes back if he does not respond gently pull him back to you until he is close to you reward him not just with toys and treats but get your voice high like it’s the best thing he ever did so many people get angry start yelling or try the electric collar this is not postive training. Your dog should be happy to come to you this doesnt happen overnight and letting them get away with ignoring you when you call them only reenforces the behavior. The recall is always the very first thing I teach my dogs besides potty training because in my opinion a dog that won’t comeback when called is an accident waiting to happen

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Thanks for your reply! I read the links shared and think I am starting to think the dog park is more bad than good. I am still not sure that Kingston was bullying…. He is pretty submissive even to small dogs and especially to larger dogs similar to him. It seems more to me like he was being possessive over the younger pup like how a dog with be with a bone or toy Which it wasn’t two together it was two separate occasions. He generally was playful with the younger dog and was only when other dogs interfered did he try to stand above and kind of sit on the younger dog. I corrected him and removed him from the situation immediately. Allowed him back once he was in a calm state. If this is act of aggression i can’t help but wonder why is he exhibiting it on a dog he definitely liked and not on other dogs who have not been so nice to him. I have noticed that at our park there does seem to be an established pack amongst dogs and owners who are there every day. I have been experimenting with going later and Kingston has been more relaxed and enjoying himself ….. until of course these last two incidents. I definitely have to work more on his recall. He is pretty responsive especially when I say it’s time to go. But i need to work more on recall in hectic situations. I have considered a remote training collar mostly because it’s been very hard to get him to NOT jump on people at the park. At home he is getting better mannered. He is just over a year old and very much a puppy in so many ways. Thanks again for your insight. I’m definitely going to work on some things you mentioned! I am definitely reaching a point where i think the dog park is more trouble than it’s worth.
If you are going to use an e-collar, please do not do it yourself, find an experienced working dog trainer in your area to show you how to properly use it.(y)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think maybe kingston was trying to dominate the puppy some not violently just telling the puppy to cool it he probably does like this pup but he is also a maturing male. Personally I don’t like dog parks too many people there that are totally ignorant of dog behavior and it’s just not a safe place plus it’s a breeding ground for fleas and parasites and any other virus that’s going around for dogs. Not a great place for training either your dog isn’t going to be paying much attention to you when all the other activity is going on. I do not like any kind of remote collars I have trained lots of dogs never used one of those the best thing to do working on the recall is get a long leash like 20ft or more get some pocket treats or a favorite squeak toy let him out to the end of the leash call him back to you with a firm voice and reward him when he comes back if he does not respond gently pull him back to you until he is close to you reward him not just with toys and treats but get your voice high like it’s the best thing he ever did so many people get angry start yelling or try the electric collar this is not postive training. Your dog should be happy to come to you this doesnt happen overnight and letting them get away with ignoring you when you call them only reenforces the behavior. The recall is always the very first thing I teach my dogs besides potty training because in my opinion a dog that won’t comeback when called is an accident waiting to happen
Thanks!! I agree with you. Kingston’s recall is pretty good. I haven’t figured out the best way to get him not to jump on people. He has learned pretty good not to jump on us at home. It’s just some people at the park he finds really exciting for some reason. I am definitely changing my mind about the dog park. It was always a great outlet for our previous boxer. Most times it is for Kingston with a few exceptions. He has been attacked by a particular dog previously… we avoid times when that dog is there. My vet agrees with you regarding germs etc since there isn’t a policy of vaccinations etc. i think i am going to start skipping the dog park and enroll him in day camp and stick to doggie play dates. I am actively looking for a second dog. Which will give him his doggy play time.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yeah, .. with rare acceptation, your not really gonna find "Well Trained, Behaved Dog's," at your average Dog Park. If the Park is large enough for them to stay away from others? You might see them, and you can spot them because they scan the horizon to "Protect there Dog's from tool's and there dog's and they look for "threat's.

Dog Parks can be like the "Shoot out at the OK Coral." "Some Dog's," are just looking for another Dog, to cock the shotgun and all HE$$ will break loose! Personnel I have no use for someone that take two puppies? To a Dog Park and let them get "Punked," as it were? But whatever that's his problem ... which he most likely will pay for down the road?

But if your dog is gonna play "Top Dog," at the Dog Park? Then he has a "target on his back," and sooner are later a "Dog," will show up to take him down. And when/if that happens, this would be good to know. :

ANd just so you know, if "Crap Goes," down and you uh run and or stand by helpless and let you dog fend himself ... he will remember it uh if your lucky.

Thye Best Advise is don't go to the Dog Park!

But hey if your gonna go "anyway," this is what you should look for and it sound's like your dog is well on the way to making this list.

And Oh yeah ... beware of the owners! Clearly not the two puppies guy, he's an A$$, but Dogs have been Shot and Killed, by owner's who felt the need to protect there Dog. Bear Bear was gunned dog by an off Duty Office more than a Decade ago. Cuz he felt his German Shepard was under threat! His dog, was not but Bear Bear was still DEAD!

And my Struddell was a well balanced "Dog Friendly Dog," but there was "Zero," chance, of every meeting her at a "Dog Park?" If any dog ever laid a tooth on her with "intent to do harm? I'd get that dog off her and go after the owner! Law Enforcement and Lawyers would most likely be involved? I don't need the hassle, cuz bottom line, once you step thur those gate's, it is "Implied Consent," so you know don't be an A$$ if thing's go wrong! Not how I roll, so no one had/has an issue with my dog's. But that is just me. Welcome Aboard. :)
Chip, I agree 100% too many unstable dogs and folks go hand in hand at some dog parks.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Oh I am sorry your guy got attacked? If given the chance, I try and warn owners of the that "possibility," before it happens. It sounds like he came out of OK it though?

It was not any "brilliance," on my part, that I realized "Dog Parks," were not really the best of ideas? It was my first Dog Gunther. I was out there like uh "everybody else," trying to do the street meet and greet, nose to nose thing? And it was not working?

I felt something was "off," but I did not know what it was? And as it happens, I understood I had an issue, when we came across a "Boxer," going out of "Petco." When a "Boxer," was coming in.

Guther my Band Dawg, was a big puppy at the time less than a year and about 70 lbs, he was "people friendly," but had "something going on with dog's?

The "Boxer," puppy owner at the time. Knew no more about dog's than myself, assume because we moved aside so they can in. But he stopped and looked at Gunther he looked just fine? And asked "can I meet your dog?" I looked at Gunther, and saw so no "issue?" So I said sure?

The next thing I see, is Gunther take a front paw and mash the puppy to the floor? I was stunned but moving forward fast! Cuz next he opened his mouth to grab the puppy!?

Well I was "stunned?" But one of my rules was hm, apprently "I don't take crap from other dog's towards mine. But I don't let my dog's cuz harm either! So as Gunther went to grab the puppy by the back? I moved and put my hand over the puppy's back! And Gunther felt my hand first and let go and sat? I have no idea what he was thinking but it was no harm no foul, I apologized and got the heck of there!

But now I was seriously concerned, and knew I had a problem? Was my dog Dog Aggressive? I had no idea but something was off? Oh and Band Dawg Gunther was 25%, BullMastiff,25% Lab and 50% APBT, So dog aggressive was not out of line?

Anyway for the only time ever so far (it's been 20 years) I took him to a Pro for an evaluation. And the "Pro," said No, he is not Dog Aggressive, he is a "Dominant Male Dog." I said OK, Thank You, I got this. :)

And my plan going forward was simple. No Dog Park's and avoid other dog's. Now "Dominant Dog's" are not "Dog Aggressive," but in a Dog Park environment "without proper," training they can be a liability? My interpretation of "Domaniance," was simple based on observation ... "you, will yield to me or we are gonna have a problem!!"

Now in a "Dog Park," if you take in a "Dominant," dog as long as every other dog that "happens," to be there "will submit." But if one does not? There will be an "issue." Dominant Dog's don't get bullied and they don't back down, either "Put up or shut up," is how they roll."

Once trained to behave properly, "Dominante Dogs" are great. They are self confident dog's and in alot of cases, that is what you want. But without a proper understanding, they can be a liability? And I chose to avoid "Dog Parks," because first I actually cared about other people's' dogs. And second because in San Jose in 2001, there were a lot of Band Dawg's and sign APBT and Pit Bull's out there and a lot of people figure "There Dog's problems are not there problem, they are your problem!" Gunther was kinda big and powerful and dog willing to challenge him? Would be the same, I don't need the hassle!

And Gunther after year's of ignoring other dog's, turned out in rare circumstance (other dog's) and under my control, proved to be good with other dog's and a great "puppy raiser!" :)

This a rather long aside, but this is where Iam coming from. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh I am sorry your guy got attacked? If given the chance, I try and warn owners of the that "possibility," before it happens. It sounds like he came out of OK it though?

It was not any "brilliance," on my part, that I realized "Dog Parks," were not really the best of ideas? It was my first Dog Gunther. I was out there like uh "everybody else," trying to do the street meet and greet, nose to nose thing? And it was not working?

I felt something was "off," but I did not know what it was? And as it happens, I understood I had an issue, when we came across a "Boxer," going out of "Petco." When a "Boxer," was coming in.

Guther my Band Dawg, was a big puppy at the time less than a year and about 70 lbs, he was "people friendly," but had "something going on with dog's?

The "Boxer," puppy owner at the time. Knew no more about dog's than myself, assume because we moved aside so they can in. But he stopped and looked at Gunther he looked just fine? And asked "can I meet your dog?" I looked at Gunther, and saw so no "issue?" So I said sure?

The next thing I see, is Gunther take a front paw and mash the puppy to the floor? I was stunned but moving forward fast! Cuz next he opened his mouth to grab the puppy!?

Well I was "stunned?" But one of my rules was hm, apprently "I don't take crap from other dog's towards mine. But I don't let my dog's cuz harm either! So as Gunther went to grab the puppy by the back? I moved and put my hand over the puppy's back! And Gunther felt my hand first and let go and sat? I have no idea what he was thinking but it was no harm no foul, I apologized and got the heck of there!

But now I was seriously concerned, and knew I had a problem? Was my dog Dog Aggressive? I had no idea but something was off? Oh and Band Dawg Gunther was 25%, BullMastiff,25% Lab and 50% APBT, So dog aggressive was not out of line?

Anyway for the only time ever so far (it's been 20 years) I took him to a Pro for an evaluation. And the "Pro," said No, he is not Dog Aggressive, he is a "Dominant Male Dog." I said OK, Thank You, I got this. :)

And my plan going forward was simple. No Dog Park's and avoid other dog's. Now "Dominant Dog's" are not "Dog Aggressive," but in a Dog Park environment "without proper," training they can be a liability? My interpretation of "Domaniance," was simple based on observation ... "you, will yield to me or we are gonna have a problem!!"

Now in a "Dog Park," if you take in a "Dominant," dog as long as every other dog that "happens," to be there "will submit." But if one does not? There will be an "issue." Dominant Dog's don't get bullied and they don't back down, either "Put up or shut up," is how they roll."

Once trained to behave properly, "Dominante Dogs" are great. They are self confident dog's and in alot of cases, that is what you want. But without a proper understanding, they can be a liability? And I chose to avoid "Dog Parks," because first I actually cared about other people's' dogs. And second because in San Jose in 2001, there were a lot of Band Dawg's and sign APBT and Pit Bull's out there and a lot of people figure "There Dog's problems are not there problem, they are your problem!" Gunther was kinda big and powerful and dog willing to challenge him? Would be the same, I don't need the hassle!

And Gunther after year's of ignoring other dog's, turned out in rare circumstance (other dog's) and under my control, proved to be good with other dog's and a great "puppy raiser!" :)

This a rather long aside, but this is where Iam coming from. :)
Thanks! I enjoyed reading it actually. I have had boxers before. But Kingston is by far the biggest. He is already approaching 80 lbs and solid. So far he hasn’t exhibited any dominant behavior and i hate to sound stupid but i wish he would sometimes. He takes a lot from other dogs. Big and small. He seems to be more a follower. Except when it comes to female dogs and puppies he is fond of. While he has sucked at defending himself he seems to try to defend puppies and his doggy sweethearts. Maybe that could be changing. I am thinking of getting a trainer as i am not being as successful as i was with my previous dogs and because of his size i definitely would prefer him being better with his manners.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Chip, I agree 100% too many unstable dogs and folks go hand in hand at some dog parks.
Yeah I blame Cesar Millan, for it least some of this crap? Back in the "Dog Whisper," day's every week he would work with Dog's with uh "issue's?" And every week at the end of the show ... off to the Dog Park, we go?

WTH? Uh what about the other 20 or so some odd dog's there? What happens (if) his rehabbed dog's get's attack? If the dog becomes (usually) dog aggressive again? Does he come back or is it just uh ... "Sorry that happened, Good Luck."

And yeah, no one thinks about the "people factor?" I have friend's with a Euro/American Boxer about 85 lbs and yeah a pretty big fully Euro head. I am always stunned with how huge he looked compared to my all American baby girl at a ripped 65 lbs? He just dwarfed her?

Anyway they "used," to Dog Park, Gidon and then one day "something happened" with another dog? I don't know what it was but neither dog was apprently hurt? But that is not the "wild," part! They "apprently," got into a screaming match with the other dog owners!

I never did find out what the "Dog," issue was because they were still pretty ticked off about the people. So they have never gone back.

But of course nothing is ever Black and White. Dog Parks can be used for "Proofing Behaviours," once trained. Depends on where you live as to how doable, that is I would suppose? But for me, off peak, low volume hours are pretty easy. I am talking one or two dog's in the Park, at a distance in over an acre with three fenced off areas. :)

I had to use the Dog Park for training Bella, with her uh, spoty recall? Dog Free and late at night ... I just walked the grounds and if she was not by me (paying (some) attention ... when I reached a gate ... I'd close her in and walk away. :)

That would get her attention! After a few week's of that? She started to pay attention to where I was! She is still not as good with recall sigh "as my other dog's," but she is good enough that I can take her "Safely," to distraction free areas and let her run off leash. So that is cool but unlike my Struddell days ... I fear Bunny's! She (Bella Boxer/Pit) might stop and return to me, she might not? Who knows?

Until I get that crap straighten out, I can't/won't get another dog. If she were always bad or always good it would be easier. But hey baby steps (still?) We go on off road outing's leash free. So I got that much back from the past. :)

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Thanks! I enjoyed reading it actually. I have had boxers before. But Kingston is by far the biggest. He is already approaching 80 lbs and solid. So far he hasn’t exhibited any dominant behavior and i hate to sound stupid but i wish he would sometimes. He takes a lot from other dogs. Big and small.
No you really don't! Dog's are "Pack Animals," and "pack members'" defend each other?

My Rocky 113 lb Wl GSD ... did not really need my help? If he did need to defend himself? But he never needed to because defending him ... was my "JOB!" He clearly knew and understood that if/when we came under threat ... I had his back!

Rocky was just a "pet," and I had "Zero," expectations of him stepping,' up as it were? I was still ticked off at hm that day many, many years ago, when crap went down. But what he and well all my dog's know is that if "Crap Goes Down?" Daddy has there back!

My dog's are not some others folks, ill trained dogs "Chew Toys!" When loose dogs attack ... they don't even see you! All they see is your dog! And me Rocky were "Pro's" with this crap, he goes behind me and (in the beginning I said Stay) but after more that six times ... there was no need to say ... it was a given. I only want to deal with one dog not two?

It was "expected," under such conditions. But "Daddy Down" was not? It was lot's of times defending him (out here) and he had never seen me down? The "Rest was all him." And he was just a "Pet," not a Protection Trained Dog, but he understood that "I" was clearly in trouble and he had my back!

It sounds simple I suppose? But the rest of the story is here.:

And that was just the first chapter in the "loose dog attack, kinda crap!" I have threads here on what to do, to defend your dog. And for the record ... most loose dog attacks or encounters happen "close to home?"

That is a long way of saying you don't really want your dog out there fending himself! Even if you suck at "protecting him?" He will remember that you were there! You know instead of screaming and wishing him luck as you run away!

Law enforcement just shoots a dog that comes after one of there K9's! And "Pro's," well they do what I do. There dog's don't need to defend themselves, cuz a loose charging dog won't get near there dog's! And but of course, I have threads on this stuff. Counter Dog Defense was for some reason Rocky and myself, it was our thing?? :)

And your dog is "not," exactly a "Bully," but his behaviour could make him target? Instead of him taking "possession of a puppy," (Kinda odd but whatever) imagine it was a "Ball?" When the other "Badder Dog" shows up ... it's like well that guy has it and I want it! And ... if he is 80 lbs? I would imagine that another dog that wants that puppy, is gonna be pretty freaking big? With his current behaviour it would be best to stay out of the Dog Park! Which you do seem to understand. :)

Known friendly dog's is the best option he would not feel the need to protect puppies from intruders.

And you do seem to be getting it! And help from a "Trainer," is "Great." But even that is not quite as "simple as it seems? It is easy to pour dollars that "Rat Hole!" But I do trainers to avoid. But enough for now. :)

Oh and the jumping on strangers thing ... par for the course. Not right of course but they do that. Stopping them from jumping o you is relatively easy? But yeah stopping them from jumping on others is usually a "Part Two," kinda thing. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts