Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I just got a 6 week old boxer pup its been cold out and snowy The pup gets cold and wont go outside is it too early to worry about this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm not sure what others may think about this, but I'll give you my 2cents...   I have two small dogs that use a newspaper (potty pads).  When we were trying to train our boxer puppy to go outside, we noticed she followed the little dogs to the paper and used it.  She still goes outside, but if it's rainy outside or too dark, she simply uses the paper.  She's a big girl now so we have to clean up right away, but it helps.  Especially if you have a young puppy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
6 weeks old is awful young to have a pup.  Many states have laws that state that breeders cannot let pups go before 8 weeks of age.  I would just keep taking her outside and praise her when ever she does go outside.  never let her see you clean up her accidents in the house and only use No if you see her in the act.  She will not remember doing it if you don't catch her and scolding her will make her scared to go potty.

best of luck.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I agre with the post about not scolding your dog if you see it go in the house.  It won't equate that with inside versus outside and so will just think you get mad when you see it go..... if you catch your puppy going in the house, then pick it up, take it outside and praise it until it goes again!  It worked for me... I had my 8 week old, at the time, trained in less than a week so I am speaking from experience.  Hope this helps!
~Anne

1 - 4 of 4 Posts