Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Never seen this before :confused:

So little Cooper (12 weeks) thinks he's a Lion or some kind of cat :crazy:

He will look at my Bernese and actually walks slowly almost on his tipitoes, head down like a lion stalking prey then jumps on her and they play! Does it with toys too I know that's normal but towards my dog well I don't know if it's ok or not :(

Not much info on the web on it either so what should I think of it? Should I discourage this behavior towards my dog?

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Duke will still do this up to this day! If we are approaching certain dogs he'll do it. With others he won't even bother.
Some say it's predatory behavior. Others say it's a way to approach another dog and show they mean no harm.
I haven't been able to train it out of him so far. Because it's so random, it's hard to tell when he'll do it too!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Duke will still do this up to this day! If we are approaching certain dogs he'll do it. With others he won't even bother.
Some say it's predatory behavior. Others say it's a way to approach another dog and show they mean no harm.
I haven't been able to train it out of him so far. Because it's so random, it's hard to tell when he'll do it too!
With your reply I was able to find helpful info on predatory behavior which is normal but can lead to Predatory drift which is dangerous. I'm not sure in this case about the ''mean no harm'' as it's stare, stalk,pounce,nip,wrestle.
In the end I'm not too fond of it.

I will go with my gut feeling and interrupt the behavior when exhibited towards my dog. I will redirect on a toy.

He's a young puppy so it's probably play but I don't want him to practice the behavior. The article also said that when exhibited during play there is usually a play bow that precedes it. Which Cooper is really missing that step!

Thanks for your reply it really helped me get the info I needed to decide what I will do about it.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
The play bow is very self-evident. No mistaking that!

This on the other hand is a bit more complicated. On one hand it seems predatory behavior, but then it turns into, bounce, jump, I want to play! Speaking from personal experience, you don't want an 80 lb. fully grown Boxer doing this! It's hard on the shoulders/arms and really makes your dog look like a lunatic and is sort of embarassing (I know this firsthand!).

Good luck! Hopefully you can train it out of your guy. I haven't been (completely) successful yet and my guy is 5 years old now. However, besides this quirk he is a perfectly behaved dog, so I'm not especially concerned ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The play bow is very self-evident. No mistaking that!

This on the other hand is a bit more complicated. On one hand it seems predatory behavior, but then it turns into, bounce, jump, I want to play! Speaking from personal experience, you don't want an 80 lb. fully grown Boxer doing this! It's hard on the shoulders/arms and really makes your dog look like a lunatic and is sort of embarassing (I know this firsthand!).

Good luck! Hopefully you can train it out of your guy. I haven't been (completely) successful yet and my guy is 5 years old now. However, besides this quirk he is a perfectly behaved dog, so I'm not especially concerned ;)
Dogs...making us look like lunatics:crazy:.....no way :comehereyou: lol lol

BTW great looking boy you got there!

Thanks again for your help sasasola :cheers:

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Hmm I know I just posted that another member needs to step in but that was a dog/dog situation and to his credit he is careful observing both dogs. And one of them seems considered about his new housemate.

But here we have a dog and puppy. And yeah the stalking thing is a bit different but form a puppy view point ...it makes good sense. His housemate is hugh, and he thinks," I best approach this beast with caution???" :)

What's important is your other dog's reaction to this tactic??? If he is good with it, then I don't see it as an issue?? The interaction between the two is what is most important and only you have eyes on.

Boxers are kinda goofy so the unexpected is kinda the norm. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your reply :)

I actually got a video of it so I was able to look at it over and over to see both of their body language.
Not sure my Benese enjoys it that much lol
In the house I put a stop to it like I put a stop to him obsessing with her tail lol
He understands pretty well and I encourage proper play.
As I don't want him to continue doing this later on. I let him be goofy in other ways :)
I've noticed that he is quite the smart little guy which is good but makes training a little more challenging since I have to outsmart him lol
He's got the" I'm such a cool little guy" attitude he's so funny.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
As kids we used to hide, and jump out to surprise them. It was just play, and we didn't end up stalking people as adults. I've seen Boxer puppies playing these types of games with their litter mates. Cooper is just trying to solicit a play reaction. If he's doing this later to bully other dogs, he may get a "correction" from a not so friendly dog later!

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Aww Ok, pretty sure it is "play behavior" Boxers tend to do "Goofy" stuff. :)

My American Band Dawg ... would not have cared but what is "important" is as you've observed ... your other dog. And if he has an issue with "this" then yes need to stop it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks chip, I'm pretty sure it's play too just not sure my dog enjoys it as she escapes.

He is quite goofy .......
Ive been practicing crate command as he hates it so I've been training mostly "crate" hand feeding the first half of his meal and then I ask him to come out and give him the rest of hia meal in the bowl outside his crate lol he went back in the crate on his own and this is how he ate lol

Crazy little guy lol

Attachments

·
Registered
5,003 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lol not sure cooper is ready for long place commande. We are working hard to get an at least 2 second down as he seems to have a spring in his butt which makes him go down and up right away lol
Keep on posting the info and annoy people because it is some very good info ;) I do teach the place command but later on but the info was very interesting to read as very useful info about HOW to teach it properly. Tnx

·
Registered
631 Posts
Bandit does the prey, bounce, attack play thing with our other two. He will normally bow before or when taunting them to play- I've never really paid attention to see if he does it before his prey attacks.

He's also a talker and will bow and talk/make play growl noises sometimes too when he's trying to get one of the others to play with him. (We know the difference between the play growl and the leave me alone growl).

Bandit's actions in our house are understood and expected by our other boys, I have wondered how another dog may take his 'playing' since boxer play can be taken as aggressive or mean by other dogs/owners. If we expected to have him around a lot of other dogs we'd do more training/ try to change his behavior. Since he should be on a leash and supervised around any other dogs....we correct him when we feel it's needed.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Lol not sure cooper is ready for long place command. We are working hard to get an at least 2 second down as he seems to have a spring in his butt which makes him go down and up right away lol
Keep on posting the info and annoy people because it is some very good info ;) I do teach the place command but later on but the info was very interesting to read as very useful info about HOW to teach it properly. Tnx
LOL, I remember those days.

It was "Down" and "No" with Struddell for a very long time! I said "NO" to her so often (always something new and stupid that she ought not be doing) that I was afraid she would think her name was NO??? But it worked out well in the long run, I stopped her from chasing bunnies off leash in the desert towards the Highway with the use of the word, "NO!" :)

Place, I stumbled unto with my GSD and his uh, lack of "comfort" with guest in the home! "you stay there dog and I keep guest out of your face, worked out fine. :)

I pulled this out of the "Ruff Beginnings Link.:

Puppy stuff this may help??? And then there is the argument that "well if you teach Place, they you don't need "Down and Stay" because "Place is an implied "Stay" until released. I suppose ... but screw that if I need to stop my dog fast and now ... I'll say "Stay" and "Down!" Not "Place."

I don't need my dog "thinking" uh Place ... where exactly???? Stay means Stay and Down means Down and no one "Downs there dog for more than two or three minuets in any case. It's a pointless argument but that's kinda what they do there. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL, I remember those days.

It was "Down" and "No" with Struddell for a very long time! I said "NO" to her so often (always something new and stupid that she ought not be doing) that I was afraid she would think her name was NO??? But it worked out well in the long run, I stopped her from chasing bunnies off leash in the desert towards the Highway with the use of the word, "NO!" :)

Place, I stumbled unto with my GSD and his uh, lack of "comfort" with guest in the home! "you stay there dog and I keep guest out of your face, worked out fine. :)

I pulled this out of the "Ruff Beginnings Link.:
How To Teach a Puppy Place and Sit and create Calm Puppies - YouTube

Puppy stuff this may help??? And then there is the argument that "well if you teach Place, they you don't need "Down and Stay" because "Place is an implied "Stay" until released. I suppose ... but screw that if I need to stop my dog fast and now ... I'll say "Stay" and "Down!" Not "Place."

I don't need my dog "thinking" uh Place ... where exactly???? Stay means Stay and Down means Down and no one "Downs there dog for more than two or three minuets in any case. It's a pointless argument but that's kinda what they do there. :)
Chip your reply is hilarious! Exactly what we need, laugh a little when raising pups! Full of really good info too. I got to know Bethany from one of your other replies, I absolutely love her.

I have to admit though that being new to raising my first boxer is quite different to raising a GSD! I find GSD much easier, as of now!
This little dude is getting better though.

I'm not a fan of the stay command and chose not to use it. If I say sit,I mean sit until I release you or give another command.
If I say down I mean down until I release and so on. I do use the ''wait'' command though.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Chip your reply is hilarious! Exactly what we need, laugh a little when raising pups! Full of really good info too. I got to know Bethany from one of your other replies, I absolutely love her.

I have to admit though that being new to raising my first boxer is quite different to raising a GSD! I find GSD much easier, as of now!

I'm not a fan of the stay command and chose not to use it. If I say sit,I mean sit until I release you or give another command.
If I say down I mean down until I release and so on. I do use the ''wait'' command though.

Interesting. I found with Zuke it's probably the command I use the most when outside if he is off leash.

Soon as I say it its like the game freeze. He doesn't move. haha

·
Registered
5,003 Posts

Actually it's different on top of different! "The Girls" when I got my first "PB" Boxer ... somewhere among the, actual books I have on them ... it said, "The girls are more, uh challenging to raise???" I wanted a boy but all the boys were already chosen, so I picked, well she picked me, the puppy that climbed out of the pile of puppies, that the male I wanted was standing on top of "Barking his head off!" Now that I thought was a dog! :clap:

But I "needed" a White Boxer and I needed one "now!" Long sad story behind my choice of color there. But moving on out of the pile of puppies, as I knelt down came soon to be "Struddell." She climbed out of the pile into my lap and promptly "feel asleep???"

And then mom came next to me sat by side and never moved! I said, well I want to see the other puppies but it was already clear that "Struddell and Mom" had already chosen me! I remember thinking well ... this pup is certainly a little dynamo, not and the girls are more difficult to raise???

But screw it I "needed" a Boxer then. So girl or not, "Struddell" it was to be! And as it turned out ... she faked me out! Most likely she seemed pretty boring then because she was exhausted from being a tool all day???

Mr Toads wild ride ... was to begin the next day! :crazyeye:

If I say down I mean down until I release and so on.
Yesss, I'm well acquainted with the "argument." :)

And my rebuttal is always ... "The Best Preparation for the unexpected ... is a well trained dog." Stand by for "incoming." :)

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
If we expected to have him around a lot of other dogs we'd do more training/ try to change his behavior. Since he should be on a leash and supervised around any other dogs....we correct him when we feel it's needed.
I tend to focus on the "unexpected" not the "expected???"

And I get you don't "expect" your puppy to be around other dogs but sometimes ... they just show up, unexpectedly??? Loose dog encounters, tend to be first unexpected and second occur, close to home??? And while .... I am not an "expert." For some reason "Rocky (Over Size Workingline GSD) and I ... tended to "excel" in that ream! For whatever reason he was a "loose dog magnet" and it was most assuredly not him.

And when crap went down ... the first command I would issue was "Stay!" Because "I got this!" Dealing with such is another topic but my point here, was my dogs "Behavior" was not a factor in dealing with "loose dogs." His job was to do nothing and he was good at his job. :)

You have three dogs and most likely you walk all of them together, when you do walk them?? If they are all on leash and the unexpected happens ... what will your dogs do??? And beyond that when you take your puppy (to become a dog) to the vets ... how does he behave???

My and Band Dawg ... was always a make sure the coast is clear issues. I never had a problem with him but my wife did once! He scared the crap out of everyone in a vet office when he bum rushed a "Lab!" Fortunately when he reached the Lab all he did was nip, nip on his neck and did no harm!

My work with him at that point in time "assured no harm" to other dogs but no. it was not good enough! And fortunately it was a dog that ... did "back down." Were it not such a dog ... that could have been ugly!

Your pups behavior could lead to issues, if he comes across "the wrong dog!" The time to address it is now!

I'd start to work on "Place and Sit on the Dog" with all your dogs! Lot's of work there but start doing and training that and you can use the "Dog Proof" for proofing the behaviors.

Micheal Ellis is doing something else but it would work similar to this. :
Using Dog Parks for "Proofing." :

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Interesting. I found with Zuke it's probably the command I use the most when outside if he is off leash.

Soon as I say it its like the game freeze. He doesn't move. haha
Yes, "STAY" and heads up can keep your dog safe! If crap happens and you can't reach or recall them! It can stop forward motion ... "right freaking now!" I liked to "KISS" for Struddell and a recall in my view took too much "processing power." Recall means ... stop doing what your doing, turn around and return to owner??? But "STAY" meant "STAY!" There is nothing to think about! And at that time,once trained I'd never seen a dog do a "Stay" like my Struddell. I'd say say "stay' and she would freeze like a statue!

I'd seen her freaking freeze in motion on some occasions. Three paws on the ground and one paw in the air ... she would "freeze!" And I certainly did not expect her to hold that position for minuets, let alone two hours (a minimum) once properly trained for "Place."

A properly trained "Stay and Down" can keep your dog safe! Sit I have found to be a pretty meaningless behavior?? Dogs I work with in rescue, dogs I don't know, will offer a "Sit" when I first use a SLL with them. I position the SLL "properly" usually the first time that has happened for that dog??? Usually they struggle for much less than 4 minuets, I say nothing, I do nothing and usually at some point ... they stop ... stand and "Sit." And await further instructions???

I look down, they look up and say I, OK and off we go. I never said or taught those dogs a "Sit??" It was just something they do when they are confused??? It's a nice to behavior to have, I grant but not of much value for control???

If one of my dogs is doing something "stupid" and closing in on danger fast at a distance?? I'm not gonna shout "Sit???" I'm gonna shout "Stay" and then "Down!" And I expect complacence!

And I will grant Struddell, caught me off guard with her Jack Rabbit in the desert incident!! I freaked and forgot everything and tried a recall, that did not work!!

But in my defense, for months I'd taught her in the desert off leash at distance, see a rabbit chase a rabbit! The rabbits had always run to the North Mountains and not South Hwy.

We were new to NV and rabbits and she'd done this for months (automatic rabbit chase!) But then one day a stupid rabbit chose to run South towards the highway!???

I freaked and forgot everything! And she was off, we were parked about a half mile away from Hwy 50 but at Boxer speed a half mile is "nothing!!!"

And she was gone!!! I was crushed and heartbroken, she was gone!!! I called and called and I got nothing in response?? Heartbroken, I returned to the car, maybe I could, still find her and I was trying to think off what I would tell Marilyn after losing, "Struddell!!"

So I head back to the car and guess who shows up ... tongue hanging out like "good times, good times, that was fun!??" Yep sure enough there she was back at the car after loosing the rabbit?? She had apparently circled back to the car once she lost the trail.

Apparently the Jack Rabbit did what they always did, dart hard right into the brush when they could not loose her on the straight and then precede immediately back down the straight! Once they did that ... she always switched from sight to scent ... it worked for the rabbits ... every time! Struddell, never figured that bit out???

So there she was smiling away back at the car??? It took everything I had .... not to scream at her! But now I knew ... so the next time, since she was still off leash in the desert, I went with simple! I suppose it could have been "Stay!" But I went with "NO" which for her meant "stop doing what you are doing and await further instructions!" Worked out fine, open desert and off leash still but now, 20 yards out I just scanned around her, when I saw the rabbit, first and I would! I shouted "NO" and she would freeze!! And I would see which way the Rabbit would break?? And if it headed North towards the Mountains, then the command was, OK and off she'd go! She never actually caught one but it was exciting to watch her try, worked out fine.

And yeah I used "No" and not "Stay" with her. Most likely with "Struddell" either would have worked??? But I was not in a mode to screw around with this crap, so "No it was!" :chair:

Sit as a command which she knew well was not gonna cut it! And under more normal conditions that most dog owners are likely to encounter, loose dogs. A loose dog has to get past me first to get to my dog! And only one has ... my bad there, apparently humans can't see in the dark as well as dogs, who knew??? :cry:

But in more normal circumstances, just to be sure, I will tell my dog Stay! I want him on his feet behind me ... just in case a dog gets by me! If he is sitting, if we come under threat, he'd be dead meat if a dog gets past me and I don't play!

My life time total for successful loose dog encounters stands at 16 and 1. And I sailed into a perfect storm on the one loss! In the dark and a ex MWD Drug Detection Dog. I was to later a female Wl GSD! Went on task but that's another story! But after that single fail on my part ... I did a search for uh me! And followed my own advise and now I carry a walking stick to block loose dogs that come at us with intent! Two weeks later my stick and "Stay" came into play! It was freaking epic but that's another story. :cheers:

But in any case in all those encounters successful or not ... no I've never told my dogs "Sit???" I don't really care about "implied" commands, the command holds until released??? I like to KISS, and for me "Stay" means "Stay" there is no ambiguity there?? So I train "place and down and stay." I walk my dogs in the "Real World" and in the "Real World" crap happens. And the best preparation for the unexpected ... is a "well trained dog." Been there done that and no one know or dogs got hurt. And as I am want to say .... others are free to do as they see fit. :)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
If one of my dogs is doing something "stupid" and closing in on danger fast at a distance?? I'm not gonna shout "Sit???" I'm gonna shout "Stay" and then "Down!" And I expect complacence!
Exactly what I found. I use "sit" in the house, or if he is on leash and I am talking to someone, but if he happens to be off leash and I don't want him to move "stay" for me is the best command. Even if Zuke is in motion "Stay" means don't move another inch. haha

Definitely took some training. Especially when in motion, but for me personally its probably the command that keeps Zuke out of trouble when outside.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts