Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need information from fellow breeders? What is going rate of pure breed boxer with all testing.

Shocked to hear $3,000 ~ is that expensive?

I totally understand the testing is costly.

I am not showing , pet only.

our last one 12 yrs ago was $600, it was a reputable breeder.

But no one wanted a white one.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I'm no breeder but that sounds exceptionally high. I would think a pet quality health tested boxer would be in the 1500-2000 range. but i really don't know

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm no breeder but that sounds exceptionally high. I would think a pet quality health tested boxer would be in the 1500-2000 range. but i really don't know
Hi Matt, yes that’s what we were thinking too......forgot to add champion line too, that is not important to us.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Hi Matt, yes that’s what we were thinking too......forgot to add champion line too, that is not important to us.
Yeah, my guy had champion line on the one side I believe, maybe even both, I researched his pedigree when I got him, but don't remember exactly.He was around 2600 I believe and that was including a flight.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I don't thing anyone fly them these day's?? Brachycephalic Breed's are on the "No Fly," for Cargo. They have to fly as a "passenger." ANd would most likely have to have a "Care Taker, also??

The last "Brachycephalic Dog," the Air Lines "KILLED," was a French Bull Dog, that the stewardess insisted fly in the overhead cargo bin!!! The dog died!!

I would have "Gotten of the Plane," before I'd have let them do that myself ... but that's me. At any rate ... with that bit of bad PR. That was it for the airline's! Take your flat faced dog's ... someplace else is there motto now. So you have to add "two plane ticket's," to the cost of the dog ... for air transportation.

But three Grand ... strikes me as a bit high?? In theory, the White Puppy's, should be less expensive because you can't show them (uh which is crap!) On the other hand ... a "Quality White Pup," cost just as much to "produce," as there more "traditional counter part's, so there is that.

The "Breeder's," that do "White's," have the "White Boxer Safe," symbol on there web sites. Not all of them are.

Perhaps Kara (I think it was see these thread??) Cuz she would know about the "flying thing," if I got something off??

At any rate you can contact her here.:

I think she does "Conformation and Pet's," for the most part??? And Euro/American's ... judging by the girl's?? My "preference," in Boxer's. :)

Good luck in your search. :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
I personally think 3k is crazy and to be 100% honest, I think anything over about $1,500 is to high.
To be 100% transparent.. I did pay 2300 shipped for a pup (not a boxer) last year.
That being said, as long as breeders can get that much, their entitled to.
I hear the " health testing, shows, vet, etc." and all that would make more sense if breeders only bred a female once but typically they don't. I would guess the low average would be 3 litters.
So lets say the price is 2500, with a average of 8 pups for three litters.. that's 60k. I don't care what testing you're doing and vetting... it's not costing you 60k.
Don't get me wrong, if they can get it, great for them! But, be honest with people.. this is a business

·
Registered
621 Posts
I think 1000 to 1500 is a fair price for a dog you will not breed and is for pet only for health tested parents. I think some of those prices are really inflated but if you look at the cost the breeder has in a puppy before you even get it in just basic vet care is probably alot these days I know I usually don't get out of the Vet for under 100 for just basic stuff. Food is costed in as well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks everyone!

·
Super Moderator
7,042 Posts
I personally think 3k is crazy and to be 100% honest, I think anything over about $1,500 is to high.
To be 100% transparent.. I did pay 2300 shipped for a pup (not a boxer) last year.
That being said, as long as breeders can get that much, their entitled to.
I hear the " health testing, shows, vet, etc." and all that would make more sense if breeders only bred a female once but typically they don't. I would guess the low average would be 3 litters.
So lets say the price is 2500, with a average of 8 pups for three litters.. that's 60k. I don't care what testing you're doing and vetting... it's not costing you 60k.
Don't get me wrong, if they can get it, great for them! But, be honest with people.. this is a business
Most people think breeding is problem free. It’s easy to just take the number of puppies and say wow that breeder is making 60K off that one bitch.

What they fail to take into consideration is the cost to purchase or raise those parents. I import a lot of my dogs and I pay on average around 10K per dog. So I already have 20K invested. I then need to health test these dogs unless I’ve purchased them already done and to health test here in North America isn’t cheap. OFA Hips $450, OFA Thyroid $300 (this is done every 2 years) Heart Holter if you don’t buy one and need to use a cardiologist $500 (this is done annually), Echocardiogram $750, DM testing is actually affordable at $30. I might not use one of my own imports and instead I’ll choose to ship in fresh or frozen semen. There are stud fees ($2500+) progesterone testing at $175 a pop and I’ll likely need 4 tests if I get off easy. I now need to do a TCI or a surgical implant ($1000-1200). I have to pay collection fees for the male, shipping container and shipping of semen for next day. This is an additional $750-1000. Ultrasounds/xrays to confirm pregnancy and make sure my girls are able to safely deliver. C-sections if puppies are to big or there are complications which happen more than people realize. ($2500-3500).

Supplies on hand such as tube feeding catheters, syringes, formula, nasal bulbs, incubators, oxygen concentrators. This stuff isn’t cheap by any means but if it helps save just one puppy it’s worth the purchase in my opinion.

I now hope we don’t have any post pregnancy complications like eclampsia or metritis. Which can cost thousands more. I pray my puppies don’t need supplementing every 2 hours around the clock for the first 4 weeks of life. The cost of formula alone adds up quickly. Some of those puppies might need medical care for aspiration pneumonia.
Then at 4 weeks we start feeding them... wow you wonder how something so little can eat so much! Lol... growing takes a lot of calories. My 5 week olds are eating 5lbs of food daily... at $3.50lb on average. It costs me about $1000 in food to get them to 8-9 weeks of age. Plus vetting
(vaccines, microchips etc) $100 per pup. Registration $100 per pup.

I’m not including the round the clock care, the lack of sleep, the showing/training for those who do it.

You see 60K and I’m lucky if I break even. Usually I’m in the red because more times than not, there are complications.

$2500 seems to be the average price range for a puppy from a reputable breeder who health tests.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kari,

Thank you for putting a lot of things in perspective. I had no idea..... how expensive all that is. Wow.....

·
Registered
214 Posts
Most people think breeding is problem free. It’s easy to just take the number of puppies and say wow that breeder is making 60K off that one bitch.

What they fail to take into consideration is the cost to purchase or raise those parents. I import a lot of my dogs and I pay on average around 10K per dog. So I already have 20K invested. I then need to health test these dogs unless I’ve purchased them already done and to health test here in North America isn’t cheap. OFA Hips $450, OFA Thyroid $300 (this is done every 2 years) Heart Holter if you don’t buy one and need to use a cardiologist $500 (this is done annually), Echocardiogram $750, DM testing is actually affordable at $30. I might not use one of my own imports and instead I’ll choose to ship in fresh or frozen semen. There are stud fees ($2500+) progesterone testing at $175 a pop and I’ll likely need 4 tests if I get off easy. I now need to do a TCI or a surgical implant ($1000-1200). I have to pay collection fees for the male, shipping container and shipping of semen for next day. This is an additional $750-1000. Ultrasounds/xrays to confirm pregnancy and make sure my girls are able to safely deliver. C-sections if puppies are to big or there are complications which happen more than people realize. ($2500-3500).

Supplies on hand such as tube feeding catheters, syringes, formula, nasal bulbs, incubators, oxygen concentrators. This stuff isn’t cheap by any means but if it helps save just one puppy it’s worth the purchase in my opinion.

I now hope we don’t have any post pregnancy complications like eclampsia or metritis. Which can cost thousands more. I pray my puppies don’t need supplementing every 2 hours around the clock for the first 4 weeks of life. The cost of formula alone adds up quickly. Some of those puppies might need medical care for aspiration pneumonia.
Then at 4 weeks we start feeding them... wow you wonder how something so little can eat so much! Lol... growing takes a lot of calories. My 5 week olds are eating 5lbs of food daily... at $3.50lb on average. It costs me about $1000 in food to get them to 8-9 weeks of age. Plus vetting
(vaccines, microchips etc) $100 per pup. Registration $100 per pup.

I’m not including the round the clock care, the lack of sleep, the showing/training for those who do it.

You see 60K and I’m lucky if I break even. Usually I’m in the red because more times than not, there are complications.

$2500 seems to be the average price range for a puppy from a reputable breeder who health tests.
Some quick adding and I came up with 40K'ish and that sounds like a lot but the fact is people aren't only breeding imported pairs (20K) by your #'s. If you did, you wouldn't have a "line" to build on. A quick look at your page (not picking on you personally) it shows what looks like 2 females you bred from your lines and 2 females your stud dog littered. Which I would guess you had an agreement for a pup. So the importing cost (20K) doesn't necessarily affect to your females, not unless you are going to prorate that 20k import cost to each puppy for each litter, in which case the price is no much after a gen or 2.

I'm well aware of what goes into breeding. I have a close friend that imported an adult female last year. Before he flew her over, he had the breeding done oversees with a male of his choice. He also had to pay for the flight and hotel for someone to fly with the dog. All said and done, he charged 1800 for the pups and maybe lost 2k total.
Another lady I know imported a female in for 12k. The female produced zero puppies. After a few years of trying she ended up rehoming the pup for free. Here's the thing, you can't do those type of things if your not making money (or you're independently wealthy and I don't know any of those breeders).
I'm just not sure why some get so defensive when you say they make money off the pups.
To be clear, I don't have a problem with people that profit, I just think a little disingenuous to act as if they don't. Making a profit isn't a dirt word..lol
The fact is if breeders didn't profit from it there would be a lot less breeders.

·
Registered
194 Posts
$3000 is an awful lot of money- even with a titled sire & dam out of stable, healthy lines. For that price, OFA & cardiac certs should be a given.

Locally (So Cal), I can say prices range from $1500-2500. Proven, titled working lines tend to be higher due, I think, to less demand from Joe Public as well as typically higher cost of importing european stock.

If you can locate a truly reputable breeder who shows/works/competes, obtaining a white boxer from them would be a STEAL. Those breeders will typically stand behind the quality of their whities just the same as their "standards", as most will offer the same health & genetic defect warranty (some exclude deafness).

White pups typically sell for MUCH less than standard colorings (I know mine did), since, as Chip stated, whites can't be shown in conformation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Responsibly bred boxers in the US average around $1500. Unless you are talking about a show prospect from a top conformation dog, $3000 isn’t typical at all. My working line boy from one of the top working breeders in the US (and maybe world) was only $1500.

And while you might only be looking for a pet, responsible breeders will always do something with their dogs, whether that’s conformation, sports, or work (or a combination of those). They’ll still have pet prospects in just about every litter - good puppies that just aren’t cut out for the show ring or maybe are less drivey than the others.

Be leery of the phrase “champion lines.” The breeder should be proving their own dogs, not breeding based on titles the grandparents or great grandparents earned. Look for titles on at least one of the parents, preferably higher level titles.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Here is what I think. If anyone personally wants to pay $3000 for a pup and you have the means, god bless you. Piggy backing off what bte2 said, if a breeder can sell them for that much and the buyer is happy, it really doesn't matter what anyone thinks. I think there are averages that can be looked at, but in the end its all about what you are willing to pay.

I think the more important issue over cost (unless you are looking to show or work your dog) is, don't ever buy a pup that doesn't have health tested parents or comes from a back yard breeder. The more people who don't do that, hopefully we see less and less of these awful breeders that really don't care about the breed or puppies and are in it for a quick buck. Would be great to get back to a much healthier breed overall and the only way that will happen is not giving any money to irresponsible breeders.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Totally agree with about everything you said!
The slippery slop (IMHO) part is the higher "reputable" breeders set their price the easier it is for 1) BYBer to attract buyers and 2) add BYBer's to the ranks. The high prices makes some dogs out of reach for some people. The byb'er easily jumps in with a 800-1k price and have more buyers then they can supply pups for.
Not going to lie... I've seen some people build some really nice houses off of selling pups.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
The slippery slop (IMHO) part is the higher "reputable" breeders set their price the easier it is for 1) BYBer to attract buyers and 2) add BYBer's to the ranks. The high prices makes some dogs out of reach for some people. The byb'er easily jumps in with a 800-1k price and have more buyers then they can supply pups for.
Not going to lie... I've seen some people build some really nice houses off of selling pups.
Yup and thats definitely part of it too. Some people who maybe can't afford the higher priced pups will love the bargain basement prices of the byb's. Its such a crappy cycle. Not that there is ever a guarantee, but good chance people would pay a hell of a lot more in vet bills from a byb than they would from a reputable breeder, so in the end, they really aren't saving any money.

Actually had a landscaper stop me on my bike ride and ask me if I wanted to breed my guy with his sisters boxer. lol. Its amazing.

·
Super Moderator
7,042 Posts
Then clearly I’m doing it all wrong 😂 I drive an old vehicle, I can’t afford to go away on vacations. I pay taxes and I absolutely am not able to build houses off of my dogs.

The only people I know that can, mass produce puppies and cut any corner possible.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well $3,000 is a lot of money, not sure we want to spend that kind of money at this time.

Maybe go the rescue route but you have no idea their true story or background.

I wasn’t looking for White this time around.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You are absolutely correct on this BYBer's are like uber or lyft. They only exist because taxi's priced themselves out of the market. I would not get a puppy form a BYB but most people who just want a family pet are not going to pay over 1000 U.S.D for a puppy. Especially families with children.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Well $3,000 is a lot of money, not sure we want to spend that kind of money at this time.

Maybe go the rescue route but you have no idea their true story or background.

I wasn’t looking for White this time around.
What area are you in? I had great success with reaching out to the local boxer breed club. The member in charge of breeder referrals provided me a list for my region. From there, it was just a matter of contacting and learning who had litters. I was fortunate enough to be able to choose between 3 different pups from 2 different breeders. We bring him home next weekend.

Having just gone through the "puppy buying process", I agree that $3000 is not typical.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts