Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Here we are on a Hot subject, first off I wish the average Joe would be more enlighten on the purchase of a healthy well bred pup. Some breeders sell a pet quality pup for 2000 and not break even. ( just look again at Kari's post above it's not a fairy tale) on average 5 to 6 pups in a litter( Not 11 like Myles) if you were to be in Boxer breeding for profit you would need a stable full of show stock.
How much is a Dog worth, it all depends how you look at it.Feeling lucky? plenty of BYB's are at your disposal , some do get lucky with health and longevity...But most do not. I would look at a breeder with longevity in the lines.Do a little home work. Buy a pet quality pup..then of course show pup is a whole other storie. imo

·
Registered
214 Posts
IMHO "show puppies" are a joke in general... and before that fires everyone up I'll explain my position.
Are there 1, 2 pups in a litter really stand out.. sometimes yes! but from my experience those aren't sold.
They are either placed, held back or part of the stud agreement.
Short of that, they are basically all pet quality.

We aren't talking about workers.. where there needs to be certain traits.
With show there can be some trait flaws and you can still be a champ, especially if you talking about smaller local clubs were there may only 5-8 boxer you're competing against.

Since, I'm kind of beating a dead horse, I'll bow out of this one. I'm sure the OP has plenty of info to make a informed decision

·
Registered
50 Posts
$3000 is an awful lot of money- even with a titled sire & dam out of stable, healthy lines. For that price, OFA & cardiac certs should be a given.

Locally (So Cal), I can say prices range from $1500-2500. Proven, titled working lines tend to be higher due, I think, to less demand from Joe Public as well as typically higher cost of importing european stock.

If you can locate a truly reputable breeder who shows/works/competes, obtaining a white boxer from them would be a STEAL. Those breeders will typically stand behind the quality of their whities just the same as their "standards", as most will offer the same health & genetic defect warranty (some exclude deafness).

White pups typically sell for MUCH less than standard colorings (I know mine did), since, as Chip stated, whites can't be shown in conformation.
So what is the deal with white pups anyhow, why do akc and ukc ban them i get the higher risk of deafness but the percentage of deafness in white boxers is around the same as it is in dalmatians or jack Russell terriers so why do boxers get singled out when nearly a quarter of all puppies are white shouldn't the standard just be no deaf dogs like it is with other breeds

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yeah, all practicality aside, the only real reason that white boxers can't be shown in conformation as that it's explicitly stated that a boxer with white accounting for 1/3 or more of its body is considered "undesireable". It's one of those things that would be easy to change, but probably never will because, well, show-dog folk. 😐

Many other breeds have a much more forgiving breed standard such as the JRT as you mentioned. Siberian husky standards allow them to be any color, any pattern.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
So what is the deal with white pups anyhow, why do akc and ukc ban them i get the higher risk of deafness but the percentage of deafness in white boxers is around the same as it is in dalmatians or jack Russell terriers so why do boxers get singled out when nearly a quarter of all puppies are white shouldn't the standard just be no deaf dogs like it is with other breeds
Yess, one would tend to think, it would be something like that?? But one would be wrong. :)

It's the Govering Body in Germany that caused a change in the rule's many year's ago. But since they created the Breed, they get to set, Da Rulz's. I will spell it out ... but first as the "Riddler," use to say on "Batman!

Riddle me this .... "Why does one not see, White GSD's, doing the Military or LE K9 thing???" The answer is the same for both breed's. :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
' Show puppy's are joke' They sure are when you have a stud with 35 multi world champions going back 5 generations with som. pom,lom's all over the pedigree. On average it cost 5 to 9 thousand to make champion on a major circuit.
Your right about the show quality of a litter, your lucky if there is one and I would wait until the pup is at least 12weeks to make that decision.
Comes down to what are you looking for ? A pup from a litter like that with health testing with out breeding rights any where from 1800 to 2500. And your lucky to be associated with a litter like that. I would consider my self lucky to pay 3000 for a show prospect.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
A "Show Quality," pup would be a "Waste of Potential," and Dollar's," for me. As first, not really my thing and second ... I could not tell the difference anyway??? But I accept it as a "thing." :)

But if it takes 12 week's to see true show potential?? Then why are pup's placed at 8 week's?? I saw only one "Breeder," that did not place pup's until 12 week's. And that was about getting the pup's thru a "Fear Period."

Which is something ... you really won't notice if you do your job (puppy raising) right. Just curious. "Temperament," and uh ... "Cuteness," are key's for me.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Interesting to stumble onto this thread. Perhaps the old saw, Location, location, location

We got a new Boxer pup yesterday. Availability here in Hawaii - very slim most of the time.
Shocked to hear $2150, another $120 to fly him from Honolulu to Hilo.
I think he is adjusting well as I type this.
FB1837DE-653F-4AE3-BF55-55C42F72D6A5.jpeg

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hello Chip 'Waste of potential' yes if your not going to show. Chip that's the whole idea of showing, The best of the best true to the breed.. " I could not tell the difference anyway" You and 70% of people on this forum ha ha. This is Boxer forum not the SBL. Your question on 12 weeks? That's me and a few others at 12 weeks you could truly see the color of the eyes, at 8 weeks sometimes the pups will still have there baby eyes(blue) you want DARK eyes with double dark haws. @ 12 weeks you will see true top line and tail set... and feet I have a foot fetish you need tight compact feet. I do not show, I have a show everyday in my yard with 300,000 worth of pedigree to get there.. It's my private show. IMHO all Boxer are special, white, check, and the many multitude shades of brown, brindle . They all have a charisma to capture and own ones heart.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Congratulations! And it seems he made the flight OK! What airline and how old is he??
And it look's like from your signature, you do pretty good with Boxer's! Still sorry for your losses, they never live long enough ... Welcome Aboard in any case. :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Interesting to stumble onto this thread. Perhaps the old saw, Location, location, location

We got a new Boxer pup yesterday. Availability here in Hawaii - very slim most of the time.
Congrats on the new pup! Can you share the breeder name? No quarantine for intra-island pet shipments, right?

$2150 feels about right, for the islands, though- y'all have import everything!

What's his name?

·
Registered
2 Posts
A

View attachment 136045 View attachment 136045
Aww congratulations on the pup. He is adorable. I’ve gotten my little girl back in March and she is a wonderful puppy!!!

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Hello Chip 'Waste of potential' yes if your not going to show. Chip that's the whole idea of showing, The best of the best true to the breed.. " I could not tell the difference anyway" You and 70% of people on this forum ha ha. This is Boxer forum not the SBL. Your question on 12 weeks? That's me and a few others at 12 weeks you could truly see the color of the eyes, at 8 weeks sometimes the pups will still have there baby eyes(blue) you want DARK eyes with double dark haws. @ 12 weeks you will see true top line and tail set... and feet I have a foot fetish you need tight compact feet. I do not show, I have a show everyday in my yard with 300,000 worth of pedigree to get there.. It's my private show. IMHO all Boxer are special, white, check, and the many multitude shades of brown, brindle . They all have a charisma to capture and own ones heart.
So you don't show, but did you at some point??? Conformation, "stuff," seems an odd point to be ... "overly knowledgeable on??"

A lot of us 70 percent's (maybe less these day's??) Are quite surprised to know or see the Euro Boxer's?? Lot's of American Line Boxer's in uh America. But every now and then "we see a full Euro," and it's kinda like uh "why is that Boxer?? So much larger than mine?? My Stru was an all American girl. So pretty much every Boxer I ever saw, was larger then her. But she still weighted in at 65 lbs! I was stunned as she looked more like a 55 pounder??

But you got your "Top line and tail set?? And I am sure "gait," is in there somewhere ... GSD stuff. :)

But oddly enough ... the feet ... I know as Boxer's have "Tiny Feet!" And that trait, does seem to carry over to Boxer/Pit's .... OK ... I had to stop Bella from her "Bad Dogging," to check and her feet are pretty small.

It's an odd point, but my WL GSD's I got him at 7 month's and had thought about having his dew clew removed, so it did not caught up on brush and stuff. But when I looked at his foot ... it was "Hugh!" His paw filled the palm of my hand and his dew claw's looked like thumb's! I left his feet alone. :)

Still while 12 week's is your standard for a show quality Boxer. Where do those puppies come from?? Since eight week's and they are outta here ... seems to be the norm??

Conformation is nothing I am ever going to do. As having more than one or two dog's near mine and I have a "Panic Attack." I'm a hard core "Helicopter Dad." And I am gonna guess at a dog show ... there would be more than two or three dog's there?? :)

But yeah that's just me ... I have "issue's," I suppose???

·
Registered
248 Posts
His name is Makani, flew Hawaiian Air. Just 7 weeks old. All his litter mates are also going to homes with boxers. His breeder would not be treated well here, maybe considered at upper end of BYB at best and I would only share the info locally with someone looking. Our second pup from them, no issues. Back in the day we had heart, DNA, DM testing before we bred and the negative stuff is why I quit posting here. People don’t consider what may be available or not, but ours were the most tested a the time and respected locally. We don’t have rabies here, a big factor on availability.
0AA33854-20AC-4896-B1C3-408BF54AACDF.jpeg

·
Registered
194 Posts
He's a good looking pup with a strong family- you'll get nothing negative from me! I vaguely remember you (your screen name anyway) from way back- before the "forum split", lol... I thought to myself back then "it must be hard to find a good dog breeder in the islands..."

I totally get the situation of island economics. I'm picking up my new pup this weekend, so... pretty excited, as you must know.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Most likely a wise choice on your part. :)

You don't want to break "Da Rulz's!" Health Testing to any degree?? Is pretty much on heard of with "BYB's??" But "Breeder's," are also "expected," to prove there work by Showing them or "Working them," (the Euro's) I would think???

And LOL, I don't know if you even need to win anything??? Do you even have Boxer Club's in Hawaii??? In NV they are all in Las Vega's. About 400 miles from here.

It does seem that if your goal is to "Work," your dog ... "IPO," stuff ... then sigh just get a WL GSD. And call it a day (Mal's) are an easy fit with that crowd also. Other than that ... your gonna be the odd duck out for the most part??

Course with those guy's ... you may or may not have "people, issues???" Those that know say "they are great with people." Wl GSD's and Mal's, and tend to say ... "let me know how that work's out??"

It's fair to compare them since, they can both do the same job! But having had both a Wl GSD and a Boxer. Yeah I'd say (leaving aside the people issues ... which may or may not be a problem??) Even I would have to concede that I could train a WL GSD ... much faster than I train a Boxer?? Most likely ... that's the "Goofy Factor??" But hey that is also why I luv Boxer. :)

Once you get past that ... they are great dog's ... but it takes time and in the World of Pro's, time is money. Hmm kinda of an aside but whatever. Enjoy your pup. :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thanks Bob, yup, before the split.
enjoy your new puppy.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thanks Chip
yes, something of a Boxer club here based out of Honoluu. Haven't kept up with them since they went FaceBook only based, was active before the switch, even hosted here.
We had some AKC based training locally before covids. Kekoa graduated CGC, but we didn't continue. Typical Boxer fashion, he pretty much "forgot" everything on truck ride home after graduation.

Reactions: chip18

·
Registered
214 Posts
That's 100% BS if you're talking AKC show. There is no character testing. You could have a nerve bag and win a championship on looks... which intern would be studded out to produce more nerve bags!
The # of show Championships in a dogs line means zero to me. I'm looking for a dog that's not nervy, environmentally stable and can work within reason. The flavor of the year (color) means very little to me. The fact that his/her great grand sire was a show champ means very little.

·
Registered
214 Posts
His name is Makani, flew Hawaiian Air. Just 7 weeks old. All his litter mates are also going to homes with boxers. His breeder would not be treated well here, maybe considered at upper end of BYB at best and I would only share the info locally with someone looking. Our second pup from them, no issues. Back in the day we had heart, DNA, DM testing before we bred and the negative stuff is why I quit posting here. People don’t consider what may be available or not, but ours were the most tested a the time and respected locally. We don’t have rabies here, a big factor on availability.
View attachment 136050 View attachment 136050
All bets are off if you're talking Hawaii...lol
1) It's a bit tough to get outside blood on the island (so I'm told). On top of that, not the most hospitable temps for the breed. So, I have no doubt the breed has "adjusted" a bit to deal with the environment.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts