Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Puppy prices

8K views 59 replies 16 participants last post by  -Rick- 
#1 · (Edited)
Need information from fellow breeders? What is going rate of pure breed boxer with all testing.

Shocked to hear $3,000 ~ is that expensive?

I totally understand the testing is costly.

I am not showing , pet only.

our last one 12 yrs ago was $600, it was a reputable breeder.

But no one wanted a white one.

#44 ·
Interesting stuff Chip. Can’t say I’ve seen Human Aggressive boxers, but I did know a lady in the Boxer club that had a bad one. Closest we came was Pele. One time we put them in a Kennel so we could take a week off island. Paid extra for the “condo” for them to be together. Part of the deal was they would be taken out for exercise. So one day attendant lets them out for exercise and Pele tears after Flash in normal boxer fashion, nothing aggressive but something the attendant wasn’t familiar with and tried to intervene (whatever that means) and Pele nipped at her heels. They put her in own kennel rest of stay. I was PO’ed when I found out. Best I can describe what I believed happen was just having the dogs pent up and suddenly opening the door and they charge out. Not fighting, nothing serious, just pent up competition to get out first.

Guilty here of some “bad”. All the dogs and cats have been allowed on the bed. Whether they spend the night is their choice they have other sleeping areas. The dogs have a single loveseat in livingroom we refer to as theirs. Of course it is the magnet that draws visitors (pre covid). The cat of course feels he owns any piece of furniture he desires. No table or counter surfing allowed or tolerated by any. At the table is discouraged but Kekoa pushes the limit and has gotten away with it, time to clamp down with the new fella.

#45 ·
Awe you gotta give the "Kennel," a bit of a break. If they have dealt with Boxer's before?? Typical Boxer behavior would most certainly scare the crap out of a ... "First Timer??"

They "bark" they spin, and they circle at high speed! And you know the "faster... the better!" If one had never seen that kinda "Crap," before ... it would most certainly look like a "Dog Fight???" And the heel nipping?? Well that just meant the attendant wanted to get into the game! :)

So they, "Errored," on the side of caution ... you can't really fault them for that?? And the bed thing ... LOL.

Yes, I do tend to mention it off and on?? But you'll note only with "Dog's," in conflict. The "Free Roaming in the house," and the off on and the furniture. Is no big deal as long as your dog's don't have issue's.

Stick with the "Breed," you know and for the most part ... those well sigh ... bad habit's ... work out fine.

I added "Counter Suffering, for the Cat Food Bowl's with Bella. So yeah my bad. But if a behavior is exceptionable to a "dog's," owner ... it's no big deal. Bella does look to me first before jumping up on the kitchen table?? I look at her and sigh ... "whatever." So hey ... "Good Enough," it's mine. :)

And the "Counter Suffering," is limited to the "Cat Food," dishes. And after my, mayor challenges with Rocky (my first WL GSD) pack fight's (no Boxer involvement) and my "Blood Running Cold, when he first met, company ie "WTH??" Counter Surfing for cat food dishes?? If she want's to do that ... I just don't care, my bad I suppose??

But hey ... as long as one stick's with "Boxer's," that get along well. One can pretty get along with all the ... "Should Not Behavior's," they chose!

As long as the dog is not a threat to people or doing a behavior that could get them killed! No big deal. :)

But ... add a different "breed," of Wl Breed to one's pack?? And all one's "Boxer," habit's will most likely end up in a "Butt Kicking," experience??

My big three ... Sleep's in the bed with the owner. Free Rome's, indoors and hop's on the furniture at will. Every time a threat with dog's in conflict come's up??

You'll see at least one if not all three of those "rule's," were broken?? Happens all the time. Now not so much here?? In Boxer world ... if you want to find yourself in deep ... crap?? Do the two girl's thing!

Boxer owner's don't really have any idea they have it! All your Boxer and experience and Bully Breed experience, won't meant crap ... if you switch breed's??

I was a Boxer and Bully Breed guy first and I was foster with my first "Big Furry Dog with a Pointy Face??" And that was the existent of my research?? Yeah ...it was butt kicking time?? And nope I have never seen met/seen a Human Aggressive Boxer either??

But I am sure there must be some out there?? But ... if one ventures into GSD World?? You won't have to dig to deep! And all one's "Boxer," well bad habit's will land one in "Deep Crap!"

But hey ... I'm just some guy on the web you know?? And got got kicked out, year's ago (nother story) but you know ... nothing has changed!

Issues, roll in daily! Delivery people, family member's, toddler's etc etc. People Issue's, roll in daily!

Honestly, us Boxer folk's have no idea how much we have it made! I have been gone from there for year's and nothing has changed. Check it out if you want.

And note, we don't have a whole dedicated to "Aggression Here!" Seriously bad Boxer's show up ... maybe 5 or 6 time's a year?? And dog on dog is usually two females!

GSD's you see way more than that ... every day! And yet pretty much alway's number three most popular dog in America??? Go figure???

Nonetheless I luv, WL GSD's also, they are awesome dog's when you get them right! And I would say that most likely the "people luv'ing," nature of "Boxer's," comes at a price??

If one is seriously committed to "Working a Boxer??" Well a Wl GSD would be easier. I saw it ... and I get it! I luv'd my Struddell but if you throw out the "people issue's," with my Wl GSD. He was a lot quicker and easier to train then was my Struddell!

Boxer's are no doubt great dog's! But in the "Working Dog World??" They are kinda different?? :)

#46 ·
Awe you gotta give the "Kennel," a bit of a break. If they have dealt with Boxer's before?? Typical Boxer behavior would most certainly scare the crap out of a ... "First Timer??"

They "bark" they spin, and they circle at high speed! And you know the "faster... the better!" If one had never seen that kinda "Crap," before ... it would most certainly look like a "Dog Fight???" And the heel nipping?? Well that just meant the attendant wanted to get into the game! :)

So they, "Errored," on the side of caution ... you can't really fault them for that?? And the bed thing ... LOL.

Yes, I do tend to mention it off and on?? But you'll note only with "Dog's," in conflict. The "Free Roaming in the house," and the off on and the furniture. Is no big deal as long as your dog's don't have issue's.

Stick with the "Breed," you know and for the most part ... those well sigh ... bad habit's ... work out fine.

I added "Counter Suffering, for the Cat Food Bowl's with Bella. So yeah my bad. But if a behavior is exceptionable to a "dog's," owner ... it's no big deal. Bella does look to me first before jumping up on the kitchen table?? I look at her and sigh ... "whatever." So hey ... "Good Enough," it's mine. :)

And the "Counter Suffering," is limited to the "Cat Food," dishes. And after my, mayor challenges with Rocky (my first WL GSD) pack fight's (no Boxer involvement) and my "Blood Running Cold, when he first met, company ie "WTH??" Counter Surfing for cat food dishes?? If she want's to do that ... I just don't care, my bad I suppose??

But hey ... as long as one stick's with "Boxer's," that get along well. One can pretty get along with all the ... "Should Not Behavior's," they chose!

As long as the dog is not a threat to people or doing a behavior that could get them killed! No big deal. :)

But ... add a different "breed," of Wl Breed to one's pack?? And all one's "Boxer," habit's will most likely end up in a "Butt Kicking," experience??

My big three ... Sleep's in the bed with the owner. Free Rome's, indoors and hop's on the furniture at will. Every time a threat with dog's in conflict come's up??

You'll see at least one if not all three of those "rule's," were broken?? Happens all the time. Now not so much here?? In Boxer world ... if you want to find yourself in deep ... crap?? Do the two girl's thing!

Boxer owner's don't really have any idea they have it! All your Boxer and experience and Bully Breed experience, won't meant crap ... if you switch breed's??

I was a Boxer and Bully Breed guy first and I was foster with my first "Big Furry Dog with a Pointy Face??" And that was the existent of my research?? Yeah ...it was butt kicking time?? And nope I have never seen met/seen a Human Aggressive Boxer either??

But I am sure there must be some out there?? But ... if one ventures into GSD World?? You won't have to dig to deep! And all one's "Boxer," well bad habit's will land one in "Deep Crap!"

But hey ... I'm just some guy on the web you know?? And got got kicked out, year's ago (nother story) but you know ... nothing has changed!

Issues, roll in daily! Delivery people, family member's, toddler's etc etc. People Issue's, roll in daily!

Honestly, us Boxer folk's have no idea how much we have it made! I have been gone from there for year's and nothing has changed. Check it out if you want.

And note, we don't have a whole dedicated to "Aggression Here!" Seriously bad Boxer's show up ... maybe 5 or 6 time's a year?? And dog on dog is usually two females!

GSD's you see way more than that ... every day! And yet pretty much alway's number three most popular dog in America??? Go figure???

Nonetheless I luv, WL GSD's also, they are awesome dog's when you get them right! And I would say that most likely the "people luv'ing," nature of "Boxer's," comes at a price??

If one is seriously committed to "Working a Boxer??" Well a Wl GSD would be easier. I saw it ... and I get it! I luv'd my Struddell but if you throw out the "people issue's," with my Wl GSD. He was a lot quicker and easier to train then was my Struddell!

Boxer's are no doubt great dog's! But in the "Working Dog World??" They are kinda different?? :)
Well with working line dogs in general each of them have their own ticks. And everyone has a preference for example Belgian malinois owners talk about how inferior the GSD'd are. And Doberman guys have a list of reason why they think the doberman is superior when it come to sports like schutzhund usually people go with the big 4 that is to say the GSD, malinois, doberman, and rottie. Although other breed like the giant schnauzer, cane corso, beauceron, and boxer also regularly do extremely well. really it mostly comes down to the owners/handler and what they are used to. Malinois guys for example think that the breed has superior drive, rottie guys focus on the intellence as the are the smartest of the big 4 and they also not that out of the big for rotties have the most stopping power. I personally separate the sporting and real world working categories. When it comes to a sport like schutzhund i personally would go with a dutch shepherd but when it comes to a real world applicaton of a multi purpose working dog on my ranch the Beauceron for me is easily the top choice. They are better herders than say a GSD, larger than a malinois, more of an all weather coat than a Doberman and smaller and healthier than a rottie.

#50 ·
There are breeders who breed working dogs for IPO, Schutzhund and Tracking. They charge over $2,300.00 for a dog easily. That would be a dog that a prospective buyer would have to sign a contract to neuter or spay at a certain age. A dog that obtained a ZTP, https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...required+of+all+boxer+to+be+bred-edited-1.pdf

would cost more. It would have future value for selective breeding, and to compete. There are guidelines connected with the Working Dog Federation, and ATIBOX about testing. Dogs work toward their BH which enables the judges a chance to disqualify a dog that shows aggression, excessive fear or poor stamina. The dog is supposed to be fit for the tasks, love what they are doing, and have a natural talent for the work. If you need to use harsh tactics, or you have a stressed dog, they are deemed not qualified to compete.

A trip to a veterinarian for an injury can cost well over $2,000.00. The injury would also mean pain and suffering for the dog, which is the main concern. Testing for health, confirmation, and temperament works to rule these factors out. There is still no guarantee that the dog won't get cancer, or other health problems. By making owners spay and neuter their puppies, and having more of their Boxers evaluated for ZTP status, they are making progress toward their goal of returning Boxers back to their original purpose. If you've ever seen a Boxer do advanced obedience, or IPO work, they are really focused, and happy. There's room for all kinds of dogs, and the expensive ones can still have issues.

#53 ·
View attachment 136068

Chip, found a photo of my ppd/guard bitch @ about 7 months old . Many story's to tell. Out of Maxl's Golden boy "Conner" She lived up to all my expectations and then some.
Oh my she is gorgeous! And I'm gonna, guess based on "color," which is meaningless, and a very tiny sample. That as a puppy ... she was brilliant and relate-able to JQP, quick to potty train???

#54 ·
I have looked into many Canadian breeders, and it's typical for a pure bred puppy from a registered breeder to be $2000 to $3000. That initially sounded like a lot of money to me, but I started thinking of what that money was going toward - health tests, vet checkups, quality food, potentially extra vet care for the puppy's mama, and all the time that the breeder puts into the puppies for their first 8 weeks of life.

BUT, just because someone is charging $3000 doesn't automatically mean they're selling healthy, cared for puppies. Just do the best you can to evaluate - ask questions, get reference, chat with the breeder. If $3000 sounds like too much, you might be able to find a different breeder that you are just as happy with who charges less.

Good luck to you on your search for a puppy!! Hope you find a friend for life.

#55 ·
We are finding in Ontario Canada that the price for puppy has gone wild! Some people are asking anywhere from $1200 to $2500 for a MUTT! They are calling them "covid puppies"

We have being looking for a pup or young guy since our 1 year 2 month old boxer named Lily. Lily lost her best friend Gemma the lab four months ago due to cancer. Gemma was 12 years old but a puppy at heart, just loved Lily.

We have been watching all the humane societies for a friend for her ( and us ). We did apply at a boxer rescue place but they turned us down!! We have had dogs our entire lives and at one time we had seven dogs living with us as one big peaceful family, never as much as a growl to each other. We could give them all bones and they would all go to there spots to crew on them, when they were tried of their own bone they would just peacefully trade! The women they sent to our home for the home visit was a b@#$ sad to say and we could see that there was going to be a problem as soon as she walked in. We treated her fairly but... No one that knows my wife and I could believe that they turned us down.

We just went to a humane society to look at a one and half year old hound but we knew as soon as we met her she would not be a good match for Lily ( or us). So we keep watching.......

#57 ·
We are finding in Ontario Canada that the price for puppy has gone wild! Some people are asking anywhere from $1200 to $2500 for a MUTT! They are calling them "covid puppies"

We have being looking for a pup or young guy since our 1 year 2 month old boxer named Lily. Lily lost her best friend Gemma the lab four months ago due to cancer. Gemma was 12 years old but a puppy at heart, just loved Lily.

We have been watching all the humane societies for a friend for her ( and us ). We did apply at a boxer rescue place but they turned us down!! We have had dogs our entire lives and at one time we had seven dogs living with us as one big peaceful family, never as much as a growl to each other. We could give them all bones and they would all go to there spots to crew on them, when they were tried of their own bone they would just peacefully trade! The women they sent to our home for the home visit was a b@#$ sad to say and we could see that there was going to be a problem as soon as she walked in. We treated her fairly but... No one that knows my wife and I could believe that they turned us down.

We just went to a humane society to look at a one and half year old hound but we knew as soon as we met her she would not be a good match for Lily ( or us). So we keep watching.......
Probably not a rescue you want to work with. In the past I've had a rescue turn me down because t the time my property wasn't fenced. I walk my dogs on a leash, always have. And I should add that never in 60 years (knock on wood) has one of my dogs wandered away or broke from the home or dug under a fence..why because I supervise them . I 've had more neighbors with fences whose dogs get loose all the time. I have some people on the poodle forum in Ontario, yes cover puppies, most were all sold so now that puppies are coming again the prices have skyrocketed. Thats like taking advantage of life situations. The right situation will come along so be patient , frankly I think as more people return to work and their normal lives the shelters are going to have many more dogs as they will "no longer have time for them".

#56 ·
Rick, sorry you lost out on that one! But you could consider Fostering. It's a back door into a Foster's good graces! And it gives you first right's to a dog you care for. But you need to check that, to make sure??

But you could volunteer and just say if a "Male Boxer show's up he has a foster!" Of course it would not hurt to start with "whatever dog, need's a Foster at the moment???
That let's them know you are serious. And you might have that dog from anywhere to a few week's to a couple of month's??

Just a thought. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.