Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI I was wondering what a normal little boxer puppy would cost to a non-show home?  It seems like all the searching I have been doing has only turned up prices that are over a thousand and dogs that are meant to be shown.  I am pretty sure a non show dog would cost less.  What is the typical price range for a healthy boxer from a reputable breeder that is not gonna be a show dog?  Thanks for any info.

Matt

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Well we paid $500 for Odin. He has a wonderful pedigree but I consider his breeder a BYB considering it was the first and last time she was breeding boxers (her daughter wanted a puppy). So I don't think that's very reputable... but his pedigree I thought was quite impressive... to me anyway.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
My Buck came from a line of champions, but I still consider the woman as a BYB. We paid $450 for him 9 yrs ago in Calif. Angel who was originally a show prospect we got very cheap as Rhonda just wanted a good home for $200, but her original price was $700 I believe...A non-show dog, you should figure on spending between $400-700. A reputable breeder will charge you more, even if your boxer is not a show dog..To me, I don't mind paying the extra, within reason of course...I know that all testing has been done and the breeder is more concerned with bettering the line rather than making a profit.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Abby was a rescue, so we had a $300 donation to the rescue league and have made a coupkle additional donations since. From the rescue leagues we worked with around here (New England), that seemed about the average donation. My husband went to pick up dog food yesterday at a pet shop, this particular pet shop uses local and semi-local breeders they are familiar with and there was a brindle male who was $1200. I see in a local newspaper that they are running about $800-950 from what I assume are BYBs.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Jessie was 500 plus 200 to ship her from South Carolina...

but that is a byb pup... you can pay upwards of a thousand from reputable breeders or pet shops...(here in NY anyway)

the pet store near where i used to work had boxers i used to go and visit them all the time, and they were asking 1600 for a 10 week old male not champion bloodlines or anything!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
We adopted Savannah from a breeder, but she only cost us 150.00 since the breeder was only asking for the price of her spay. She was looking for a home for Savvy and two other bitches. My friend got a puppy a few months back and they paid 450.00 for him.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I bought Charlie for 250 bucks.  He came from a byb.  Since I've learned to ask about health checks and all, I've called a bunch of the ads I've seen in my local area and none have been properly tested.  Going rate around here is 250-300 for fawns and brindle, 400-500 for whites and reverse brindles.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Cali is of Champion Lines, all of her family being champions, every one of them, and they are all show dogs. I was very specific about the particular breeder we chose, and she was not cheap. The Pedigree of her father is at  

http://www.zyworld.com/frenchysboxers/Brady.htm  

if anyone cares to see. Her Grandfather was Westminster champion for Boxer Breed standard. He is also the dog on the Boxer Book, you probably have seen the hardback one in Petsmart and stores of the liking. We paid well over $1500 for her... and we bought 3 of them. We did get a much lower price for the white one because we cannot breed or show her... I would like to breed and possibly show Cali, maybe... not sure yet on either...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Gus was bought from a byb  for $ 350.00, he had papers, vet check, declaws and tail already done. And first series of his puppy shots.
I looked into puppies from some local big time breeders and they were running from $ 450 to $1500.00 depending on what you wanted ( show or not, female vs. male, fawn vs. brindle and even different for fancy or not) We got lucky, got a wonderful flashy fawn male that is full of life and great addition to our home.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Took me about 4 months to find one that was the sex and color I wanted from a reputable breeder.  I found a lady that showed, and tested all her dogs.  Chloe was $750 - she is not show quality - I think she has too much white on her - or at least close to the 1/3 guideline.

I found when I was looking last summer (in the southeast anyway) that the ones $500 and under were from non-tested stock or bad breeders.  The ones that were from breeders that tested their animals they were $750-$2500.

DON'T look on Internet sites - I went to the American Boxer Club and looked at their registered breeders and just started calling all the ones within a 7 hour drive.  I was able to get a hold of about 25 of the 150+ that I tried to contact.  About 5 of them had litters that were born - 3 of them didn't test their stock; the other 2 did.  I picked the one that was the cheapest and the closest out of those two.  I opted for the $750 puppy with 5 1/2 hour drive to pick-up vs. the $1800 for a 10 month old semi-trained dog that was a 4 hour drive away.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yeah the Breeder we got Cali from had every dog OFA cardiac certified, thyroid tested and certified, hips tested, etc, very intensive testing to her dogs, and have the pups done as well. So I could see paying a little more too. We opted to get the more expensive pups, which were considered to be show quality, versus the others, which were $300 cheaper...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got Ty off of craigslist for free. He is 3 months old, he is very sweet and playful, pretty fawn, and has a docked tail. I see a lot of boxers getting put up on craigslist for varios reasons, you might want to try there.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
The average price in the US for a well-bred pet puppy from a responsible breeder with health-tested (shown and, usually at least one, finished) parents is about $900-1200 - higher on the coasts, lower in the middle states.  Generally speaking irresponsible breeders will charge half that, but don't let price be your only guide - there are a handful of irresponsible breeders who charge *more* for their puppies than the responsible  breeders do.  Pet store puppies are usually half-again as much as responsibly-bred pups.  (Remember, too, that with responsibly-bred puppies, you're getting not just the pup, but a lifetime of support from the breeder - which you most assuredly do not usually get with irresponsibly-bred puppies, and certainly not with pet store pups.)

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
We got Henry from an animal shelter for $50! :D
We met the lady who had the pups, she said the dad was papered, the mom was not.  Any way, he's full boxer and just wonderful!  So maybe try a rescue type place.  We've got some pics in the gallery if you wanna see him.
Z

1 - 19 of 19 Posts