Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally brought home my puppy Quest! I'm so happy he's finally here but I'm having biting issues. :( He's 8 weeks and I know he's teething but he gets really excited and starts biting our arms and feet. I have tried redirecting his attention to his toys but it doesn't seem to work as much. I've also tried yelling ouch and walking away from him but he bites harder when I yelp and when I walk away he immediately goes for my feet. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed and frustrated because the methods I find online don't seem to work on my little boxer baby. Has anyone encountered the same issues and if so, what alternative method has been effective. Please help!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I deal with the same exact issue with Solo. He gets even more obnoxious when I try to correct him. The only way I get him to stop now is standing up, saying "NO!" Loudly and clap my hand as I do it. He jumps away from me and moves on to something else. I'm sure others here will have better solutions than mine:) I'm looking forward to reading the other responses.

·
Registered
484 Posts
One thing I've tried, even with my older dog is an empty soda can with pennies or something that will make a lie loud noise. When undesired situation occurs, I shake the can and say no, now she sees the can and stops. I very rarely have to use the can any more, a sufficient no most of the time....and she had figured out that no loud noises mean I'm good.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Had the same issue, when he bit me, I smacked him in the nose combined with a loud verbal NO! Not too hard of a smack, but enough for him to know he should not do this. It worked. he then tried it with my father and also my nieces and nephews and instructed them to do the same, and it worked also. Hank no longer does this to any of us.

Also, if he is jumping up and down and trying to bite the leash - I would either just ignore him and turn my back and he stops, and we continue the walk, or I make him sit, scold him a bit, and then go on. Did the job.

Contrary to what some may say, i find a spanking or a smack, combined with a loud verbal rebuke, works real well if applied immediately when the acts is caught (peeing on the floor, chewing furniture, etc). Seems to have worked well, and in ever situation, the problem was corrected and did not see the problem again. Just like when a child gets paddled or spanked, it corrects them and they learn. But, only for very serious infractions. Just like as children we use to get paddled at the principles office, it straightens us out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The only thing that worked for my pup is a jar filled with rocks, some do the plastic bottle with rocks or coins. Just have it with you all the time shake it if he is doing something you do not want him to do. Just like the post above said after two days all I had to do is just reach for the jar.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Never hit your dog period.
Try this
The Shake Can has been referred to by various trainers as a means of correcting your dog from ill behaviors. They will provide you with partial information on the use of the can, and when it fails, you return to them to have the problem corrected. The information that follows provides you with the proper construction and use of a shake can.

The purpose of the Shake Can is to create a distraction and gain your dog's attention. Training requires the dog's attention if you expect him to learn. Yelling and beating will accomplish nothing more than teaching your dog to stay away from you when you are ranting. The shake can will eliminate all of that.

Begin by rinsing an empty soda can thoroughly in hot water, and allowing it to dry. When dried, place 15 pennies inside the can. The number of pennies is important for the weight and noise factor. Place duct tape over the opening to prevent the pennies from falling out

When you catch your dog performing the ill behavior, THROW the can at him. Try to throw the can so that it lands within the vicinity of the dog. If it inadvertently hits him, it will not hurt him. Throwing the can will divert his attention from his unwanted activity and have him focus on you.

After you have thrown the can, give him your chosen command that is appropriate for the activity. For example if he's on the couch and you want him off, throw the can and say 'OFF'. If he's chewing up something he shouldn't, throw the can and say 'Leave it'.

Once the can has been thrown two or three times, the dog will understand and recognize the sound of the pennies in the can. You will no longer have a need to throw the can, simply shake the can, and give your command.

·
Registered
285 Posts
My boxer bit my children's feet all the time, it was very wearing after a while. Just stop, stand still and be boring. Moving feet are fun, but of course you do need to get on with your life and move to where you needed to go. The shake can is good advice or a firm "no", but never hit a dog. And don't worry, it does stop - its just a phase - your puppy wont be biting your feet once they are 4/5 months old. Think of is as the fun of having a puppy!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Never hit your dog period.
Try this
The Shake Can has been referred to by various trainers as a means of correcting your dog from ill behaviors. They will provide you with partial information on the use of the can, and when it fails, you return to them to have the problem corrected. The information that follows provides you with the proper construction and use of a shake can.

The purpose of the Shake Can is to create a distraction and gain your dog's attention. Training requires the dog's attention if you expect him to learn. Yelling and beating will accomplish nothing more than teaching your dog to stay away from you when you are ranting. The shake can will eliminate all of that.

Begin by rinsing an empty soda can thoroughly in hot water, and allowing it to dry. When dried, place 15 pennies inside the can. The number of pennies is important for the weight and noise factor. Place duct tape over the opening to prevent the pennies from falling out

When you catch your dog performing the ill behavior, THROW the can at him. Try to throw the can so that it lands within the vicinity of the dog. If it inadvertently hits him, it will not hurt him. Throwing the can will divert his attention from his unwanted activity and have him focus on you.

After you have thrown the can, give him your chosen command that is appropriate for the activity. For example if he's on the couch and you want him off, throw the can and say 'OFF'. If he's chewing up something he shouldn't, throw the can and say 'Leave it'.

Once the can has been thrown two or three times, the dog will understand and recognize the sound of the pennies in the can. You will no longer have a need to throw the can, simply shake the can, and give your command.
I used the can method years ago but just shaking it. I have never heard this method but I think I'll try it. For some reason, I'm not too confident Solo would react to the can shaking the way I'd want him to but it's definitely worth a try.

I don't know anyone who hits their dogs. That is an outdated disciplinary response that is unnecessary when there are so many other successful methods for training which do not require physically inflicting pain or discomfort.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Yes Solo it works well especially if he does not see you throw the can, he starts to associate the bad behavior with wait what was that? I really suggest you go to the site I provided. He is an excellent trainer and provides lots of info on his site, like the shake site. Our boxer is 8 1/2 months old now and I am really pleased with his behavior. This trainer has also written a few books which you can find on Amazon. In case my link didn't work just google abcantra dog training.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
This isn't a quick fix, and hitting your dog isn't going to solve the problem. It may actually make things worse!

It will take time and patience for your puppy to learn bite inhibition.

Here's a great video that explains why your puppy is doing this and how to correct it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKjk84OkzcI

Our trainer used this method of teaching the "Off" command and demonstrated it in class. It took him about 5 minutes to teach it to a 12 week old puppy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will give the can method a try! The only thing I'm concerned about is that we live in Chi ago where there are a lot of noises. Since he's young will I be scaring him of noises for the rest of his life?? I heard that pups at an early age go through a fear stage and if they encounter scary things around this time, they'll have issues with it for the rest of their lives. Thanks for all the advice!!! Also, hope everything works out with Solo too! :)

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Well it's been more than a decade since I've dealt with a puppy! But as a general principle...I "never turn my back on a dog!

Dog or puppy that's my rule! The "ouch" thing never worked for wife! I tend to belive that does make the game more exciting for the puppy!

The "hitting" thing no by and large not recommenced! But as it happens it is a technique used by "Pros"!

This is a dog that one of the "Pros Hits" he does not appear to be "stressed" to my eyes???

Not everyone can do this (hit the dog!) The details are long and involved! By and large "hitting" is not recommend but yes "hitting the dog is done by (some) people that "know" what they are doing!

Not my thing, Just saying. :)

Back on topic, OFF/NO/OUT/LEAVE IT or not the same thing! I have no problem with the can thing but...if you do that "mark it with a 'NO!"

Say 'NO" first then shake the can! The puppy will associate the word 'NO" with the sound! What does that mean??

Down the road it will mean that your "Dog" will associate the word "NO" with an unpleasant sound!

"NO" will mean that whatever you are doing "Stop" and don't continue to do it! Leave it means stop right now but maybe later???

A "dog" should be taught a solid "NO" now is the time to start! :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Been there. Came home wife in tears and ready to give up. It's a phase and a really good time to start training. We tried the ouch etc. the can worked well and so did a little compressed air gun . A small blast of air and a sharp NO works. Hang in there it gets better....

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Chip18: we are taking him to a petsmart training class in a couple weeks to teach him basic obedience that will HOPEFULLY help!

Dskimmel: did your boxer have issues with noises growing up? We live in the city and there are tons of noises outside (garbage trucks, landscapers, cars etc.) and I don't want him to live in fear of different sounds because he's going to hear things everyday.

Has anyone tried putting bitter apple in their gums and proved it to be effective? Any Bitter Apple advice would be great, thanks!

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Chip18: we are taking him to a petsmart training class in a couple weeks to teach him basic obedience that will HOPEFULLY help!

Dskimmel: did your boxer have issues with noises growing up? We live in the city and there are tons of noises outside (garbage trucks, landscapers, cars etc.) and I don't want him to live in fear of different sounds because he's going to hear things everyday.

Has anyone tried putting bitter apple in their gums and proved it to be effective? Any Bitter Apple advice would be great, thanks!
Did you see the link I posted above? Some very good techniques for teaching the "Off" command. Probably the same techniques that you'll learn in puppy class.

The bitter apple works for some but most pups just get used to the taste.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Bitter apple is like putting icing on a cake for Oliver. He loves it!

Noise. From day one we socialized Oliver to the Max. Walked him near the highway , Around construction, shopping centers and played loud movies and music.
Florida is also know for great Thunder storms. We just act like the noise is normal and act calm at all times. He picks up on how we react pretty fast. If we are clam he is calm. That is until a squirrel crosses in front of us..... A work in progress......

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry this may be disappointing but I have gone through EXACTLY what you are describing for the last 6 weeks. People will tell you to yelp, ignore, walk away, yell NO ETC ETC ETC.

None of this works PERIOD...it may for some puppies but 90% do this because of the teething process and playing attitude.

There was 1 solution for us. We hired a trainer and he got us using an E collar which some people despise but if used correctly can be one of the best tools you can ever possibly use. Our dog is a new puppy...he has learned to no longer mouth, bark, chew on things hes not supposed to, he will now come on command etc. It is the best $ we have spent on our puppy not doubt.

This said, you have to be sure to be trained HOW to use the E collar for it to be effective.

Your issues will not be resolved by most of the responses above. Look into a trainer who uses E collars and welcome yourself to the joys of being a happy dog owner and having a happy healthy puppy.

P.S. Some people will say the dog fears the collar but that has proven to be completely false. You will be using positive reinforcement with treats when commands are followed. As the dog begins to learn the commands they associate the training with submission and reward. Your pack dominance is established and this strengthens the bond with your dog. Cassius wags his tail like crazy when we pull out his collar...so im sure hes not afraid of it :)

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
None of this works PERIOD...it may for some puppies but 90% do this because of the teething process and playing attitude.
That's a bit of an overstatement and pretty insulting to many of us that have used some of the listed techniques in the past!

"NO" worked for me! And it laid the foundation for my dogs to understand that "NO" means stop what your are doing right now and don't do it again!

There was 1 solution for us. We hired a trainer and he got us using an E collar which some people despise but if used correctly can be one of the best tools you can ever possibly use. Our dog is a new puppy...he has learned to no longer mouth, bark, chew on things hes not supposed to, he will now come on command etc. It is the best $ we have spent on our puppy not doubt.
The E collar?? The number one rule in using any tool, is know what your doing! You seem to have done that so congratulations, you found the solution for your dog!

I've taught my dogs to behave around other dogs (Dominate male) dealt with Human Aggression (GSD) stay on the lawn , don't jump out of the car. don't act like and fool and not to chase rabbits to the South hwy but North mountains and a dog I have met once to behave around deer! All without the use of an E collar. :)

A pro I respect on the GSD forum stated an E collar can be used on a puppy! He doesn't but he could! Good enough for me! I seldom give advice on E collar's they are not my thing. But if a situation comes up where one is "required" (not here) I know where to point people!

I work with rescues and I need to know what I am doing and can't rely on "tools," I may or may not have at hand, for me, it's pretty much as simple as that!

And I'm pretty sure, that someone will say kinda watch the "tone" as it were...sometimes it's not "what you say" it's "how you say it." :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts