Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
There isn't a cover all solution for all dogs. They are all different, just like we are different. To say "Your issues will not be resolved by most of the responses above" is not an informed statement!

I think that the techniques described above will work for MOST puppies. There is always the difficult cases, and sounds like you may have had one.

The important thing to note is that your puppy isn't going to miraculously stop overnight! It takes time and patience to train a puppy!

Cassius619 - How old is your puppy? By the way, a dog wagging it's tail isn't always an indicator of happiness, it can also indicate fear or nervousness.

An excerpt from the ASPCA website: "Dogs wag their tails for numerous reasons, including when they’re feeling aggressive." Here is the link to more information on canine body language: https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/canine-body-language

·
Registered
5 Posts
We tried shaking a can of pennies but ours then decided it would be a great chew toy. We finally got him to stop by standing up, yelling No, and turning our back to him. Then I'd ignore him fro a few minutes and not let him get in front of me. I'd turn as he moved. He HATED being ignored. It only took a few times of this.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hello again, I've resorted to using a squirt bottle with Solo and it has worked like a charm. He now stops the undesirable behavior as soon as he sees the bottle.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think an overlooked aspect of dealing with these behavioral issues is the tone in which you make your correction commands. I was taught along time ago by a man that had a pack of the most well behaved Rottweilers I had ever seen that our tone is overlooked. He told me that as hard as it is, try to not change the inflection in your voice all of the time when talking to your dog. He said to only use the positive inflection when praising for good reason and only raise your voice or use a hard quick tone when correcting.

The idea is that each tone will be associated strictly with the action and it will add to the impact of the correction, and intensify the reward of praise. It is difficult but I started doing that when my last Boxer was a puppy, calm somewhat monotone when just speaking to him and the different tones as mentioned above and it does make a difference. Our words have to carry meaning to our dogs and if we over happy talk them or over stern talk them they will pay less attention it seems. Nimo's or now Tyson's name get spoken for three things; Come, Good boy, and NO/ OFF /DROP it. When his name is spoken his head whips to me and that is a great feeling. It is a technique that has worked for me and I haven't needed E-Collars or Physical stimulus which breaks down the bond that is needed between Master and Dog.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts