Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I am new to this thread as I will soon be a parent to a Boxer child. While I have had 3 so far, this will only be my 2nd time owning a puppy. I am curious for breeders, what are some characteristics you look for in a puppy for it to look good as an adult/be of show quality? The place I am getting my puppy from is has long lineage in the show industry - these puppies have a champion mom and champion dad. What scares me is the unknown for how whatever puppy I pick to look as an adult.

What sticks out to a breeder as “that will be one beautiful dog as an adult?”

Here are the 3 I have to choose from at 4 weeks.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
If it's a good Breeder they will perform a temperament test close to 7 weeks old. That test helps to place the puppy in the right home. It's far too early at just 4 weeks to choose a puppy.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
There are some pretty interesting studies that were done regarding the success rate of being able to gauge a puppy at 7 weeks and correlate it to how it will be when its older.

Their conclusions were there is no way to accurately test and predict a puppy at 7 weeks.

It was interesting reading.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I think I would be worried first about genetic testing the dog showing world has its share of inherited diseases and I don't know what your intentions are with the puppy pet, show or breeding but in any case you need to make sure all the appropriate screenings were done with the parents.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Ha ha.. you want the crystal ball. What do you want a show prospect? or a wonderful companion ? There will be a difference in price, Really you could see some potential @ eight weeks ( sometimes you cannot even see the haw color at this time) you will see some confirmation especially the top line. And do really want to show? cost any where from 5000 to 9000 on average to make a Champion.

·
Super Moderator
7,044 Posts
Joe hit the nail on the head. If we could all have that crystal ball!

Since both parents are titled then I’d like to assume the puppy comes from some nice structure. I personally would focus more on the foundation of the puppy such as what health testing was done on the parents. The American lines have a high incidence of DM so I’d want to know the parents status and I would even offer to pay to have the puppies tested so help ensure that my choice is not AT RISK.

Since you are choosing at 4 weeks then that tells me this is a family pet and not a show prospect as there is no way to completely assess conformation at such a young age. Have you met the parents?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts