Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and the wife are looking at another boxer.  The owners are responsible.  They tested the dogs and waited until both were 3 yrs old before breeding.  This is her first litter and he said she will not have more than 2 litters.  My concern is that he is wanting us to pick the pup up on Saturday if we want her and it'll be just over 6 weeks.  Do people not wait until around 8 weeks anymore?  We got Charlie 1 day shy of 8 weeks but I'll say he was the last of his litter.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Puppies should never leave the litter before 8 weeks of age. I would be leery of any breeder that would let the pups go before the 8 weeks.
Why does he want the pups to go so early?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
A puppy shouldnt be taken from his litter mates or his mother before the age of 8 weeks. i would bring that up with them. There is tons of info here on the forum plus online that you can print if needed to show why you should not pick the pup up before the 8wk age.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I would be very skeptical of a breeder that insists on picking up a puppy at 6 wks. A reputable breeder would never allow that...I'm doing a lot of research for the thread that I'm doing about breeders and that is a key point. Those 8 weeks with Mom & siblings are very important to development and socialization...If they are claiming to have done all the tests, etc, they should know that...I wouldn't take the puppy, to be honest...

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I use to think six wks was the norm actually. Growing up for some reason... I always remember famiy and friends getting puppies at 6 wks. Never thought any different till recently when we got Odin... and we couldn't get him before 8 wks... which was fine... I looked it up and researched it to learn more... and wow... I feel bad for all those other little puppies from back when... that left TOO EARLY! When we got Lady she was barely 5 wks... but her mother was killed and they were trying to find the pups good people that could take care of them... That's just TOO early... it's sad.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I agree, i have to admit that I got Ginsy way too early.  5 1/2 weeks. 8O
She had already been seperated from the mother and was in a kennel run outside in the mud.  So I felt it was better to take her then especially since she was the runt and was nearly a third the size of her litter mates.  So tiny,  I just couldn't stand it and I was afraid she wouldn't make it.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I got Jessie at 6 weeks, byb... the woman told me between 6 and 8 weeks was ok... i always thought it was 8 weeks myself... but i didnt know anybetter...

·
Registered
214 Posts
I thought 6 weeks was normal also, until I got involved in this forum. Tyson was 6 weeks on saturday, he seems to be doing fine, but they say the norm is 8 weeks.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'm sure he will do fine!  You may have to work with appropriate playing/biting issues but that will take time and patience! Those are things he would have learned staying an extra two weeks with his mama/littermates.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
tyson429\";p=\"7085 said:
that explains a lot!!! tyson loves to chew and bite. wow i had NO idea...
well they dont completely stop chewing and biting... but its less work for you..

My sister got maggie at 11 or 12 weeks and she was bitey for just as long as jessie was, and i had jessie 6 weeks earlier then my sister got maggie

·
Registered
616 Posts
Yeah, I think all puppies go through that stage but it does get better when you work with them.  Scout used to be our biter and only mouths our hands now.  But I remember thinking....."will he ever stop biting?"

It will take some patience but boxers are extremely intelligent and will catch on quickly!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
The bigger issue with getting a puppy early is they don't learn dog-dog socialization; this often leads to fear or aggression issues later in life.  Dr. Ian Dunbar has a book called "Before You Get Your Puppy" which details the  things a responsible breeder will be doing to socialize your pup before eight weeks of age - if you get your puppy earlier, it is up to you to do those things.  The book is available free to download at http://www.jamesandkenneth.com/new_puppy.html

Also, in many states it is illegal to sell a puppy before eight weeks of age.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
[quote="Newcastle\";p=\"7174":361c3m0o]The bigger issue with getting a puppy early is they don't learn dog-dog socialization; this often leads to fear or aggression issues later in life.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think we're going to pick her up next Saturday.  She'll be 7 weeks then.  I'm to worried about socialization because we've got Charlie.  Hope she picks up on commands fairly easy.  We've picked a name out already so we're going with Sadie.  I've liked that name ever since I heard it from The Bachelor.  Yes I watch alot of girlie shows with Jessica!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
[quote="JeepKuntry\";p=\"7228":2irlyyov]Pics of Princess Sadie are in the photo gallery.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
What a sweetheart she is...Love the name too...I think it suits her....And Charlie is a very handsome boy... :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts