Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got our 1st Boxer a few days ago. Almost 8 weeks old, on the smaller and thinner side. I've been told this is normal development since they are a naturally leaner dog & they go through "phases" of thick & thin. Yesterday, we ended up taking him in to the vet due to severe watery diarrhea & an episode of vomiting. The vet was concerned for Parvo. Luckily, the fecal test came back negative; however, they stated that the sample was not robust enough to give 100% certainty. By the end of his stay, the vet was confidant that Parvo was not the case, but more of an upset stomach due to diet change. They finished his IV fluids, gave anti-nausea meds & dewormer. They sent us home with the remaining dewormer to complete at home. Last night being the 1st night of administrating it at home, he did well! He ate really well, drank lots of water, played normally & his stools became more firm. Still diarrhea, but no longer watery.

(Side note: we haven't change his diet from what the breeder was giving him (Blue Wilderness-Puppy) other than adding some wet puppy food due to having concern about his thinness. Since having the vet trip, we have stopped the wet food & began giving him chicken & rice in addition to the kibble as recommended by the vet)

He now obviously prefers the chicken & rice over the kibble, but since he has such a strong reaction to just adding wet food, we fear changing the kibble. We want him to have full meals, but don't want to ruin the progress we have had since he's been back home. As of this morning, he has eaten very little. Mostly chicken & rice, but not as much as he did last night when he got home from the vet. I have read articles about adding pumpkin puree to his food as a good vitamin & fiber supplement, but again, just from the reaction he got from the wet food, I would hate to make him sick again.

I hope he's not digressing...

Please help advise!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi There,
Welcome in! I know how scary having an 8 week old is, you feel like they are so tiny they need all the help they can get. Please see the post right below "dog food for puppy" I explained our food process with our almost 5 month old girl. No real complaints about the Royal Canin, but we are having excellent results with "lifes abundance" (good for any age) and the biggest plus is that she absolutely inhales it!
Good luck!
Rick

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hello,
I am by no means an authority (second boxer and she is getting close to 5 months) but we have been on Royal Canin since day one per our breeders recommendation. Started with the "puppy chiot" and were in the process of switching to the "boxer puppy". We chat with our breeder on a regular basis (she has been so helpful for tons of things) but she has switched to "life's abundance" for all of her dogs after being an RC person for years and recommended for us to switch too. (cost is about the same)

prodect info:
"This line of products was formulated by Dr. Jane Bicks, DVM. She has been a holistic vet for over 20 years. She has served as President of the American Veterinarian Association of New York City, earned three Presidential Citations, appointed by Mayor Rudolph Guliano to help establish one of the largest animal shelters in the world, the author of three books on responsible care and treatment of pets, and has appeared on 48 Hours, Good Morning America, CNN, Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, and more. She has also created a non-profit foundation where a percent of her product line is contributed toward rescue and care for pets."

We were having trouble getting Charlie to eat and having to do supplements to make sure she was getting everything she needed (tuna, fish oil, probiotics etc.) This food seems to have all built in and best of all she absolutely loves it (and the pellet size is very small). You feed less because they actually absorb it so well, poop less too! So far we are all super happy but time will tell.

I'm not selling this stuff but just wanted to pass on the info, here's photos of what all is in it etc. (I took them for our vet so I had them handy lol)
Good luck!
Rick

IMG_1413.jpg IMG_1414.jpg IMG_1415.jpg IMG_1417.jpg

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I personally don't like Blue Buffalo my dogs wouldn't even eat it. Boxers are notorious for stomach issues. Royal Canin puppy is a good one and there are others out there like formulas for puppies with sensitive stomach I think Purina makes one too but make sure its for puppies.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We just got our 1st Boxer a few days ago. Almost 8 weeks old, on the smaller and thinner side. I've been told this is normal development since they are a naturally leaner dog & they go through "phases" of thick & thin. Yesterday, we ended up taking him in to the vet due to severe watery diarrhea & an episode of vomiting. The vet was concerned for Parvo. Luckily, the fecal test came back negative; however, they stated that the sample was not robust enough to give 100% certainty. By the end of his stay, the vet was confidant that Parvo was not the case, but more of an upset stomach due to diet change. They finished his IV fluids, gave anti-nausea meds & dewormer. They sent us home with the remaining dewormer to complete at home. Last night being the 1st night of administrating it at home, he did well! He ate really well, drank lots of water, played normally & his stools became more firm. Still diarrhea, but no longer watery.

(Side note: we haven't change his diet from what the breeder was giving him (Blue Wilderness-Puppy) other than adding some wet puppy food due to having concern about his thinness. Since having the vet trip, we have stopped the wet food & began giving him chicken & rice in addition to the kibble as recommended by the vet)

He now obviously prefers the chicken & rice over the kibble, but since he has such a strong reaction to just adding wet food, we fear changing the kibble. We want him to have full meals, but don't want to ruin the progress we have had since he's been back home. As of this morning, he has eaten very little. Mostly chicken & rice, but not as much as he did last night when he got home from the vet. I have read articles about adding pumpkin puree to his food as a good vitamin & fiber supplement, but again, just from the reaction he got from the wet food, I would hate to make him sick again.

I hope he's not digressing...

Please help advise!
Life’s Abundance is a top notch food ordered only online. Works for our boxers. I boil rice & chicken breast bites, add 2T to food. No beef! My male has sensitive stomach. So very important to not give him anything else. Couple T of pumpkin is good for your dog. Mine loves sweet potato too.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Hello,
I am by no means an authority (second boxer and she is getting close to 5 months) but we have been on Royal Canin since day one per our breeders recommendation. Started with the "puppy chiot" and were in the process of switching to the "boxer puppy". We chat with our breeder on a regular basis (she has been so helpful for tons of things) but she has switched to "life's abundance" for all of her dogs after being an RC person for years and recommended for us to switch too. (cost is about the same)

prodect info:
"This line of products was formulated by Dr. Jane Bicks, DVM. She has been a holistic vet for over 20 years. She has served as President of the American Veterinarian Association of New York City, earned three Presidential Citations, appointed by Mayor Rudolph Guliano to help establish one of the largest animal shelters in the world, the author of three books on responsible care and treatment of pets, and has appeared on 48 Hours, Good Morning America, CNN, Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, and more. She has also created a non-profit foundation where a percent of her product line is contributed toward rescue and care for pets."

We were having trouble getting Charlie to eat and having to do supplements to make sure she was getting everything she needed (tuna, fish oil, probiotics etc.) This food seems to have all built in and best of all she absolutely loves it (and the pellet size is very small). You feed less because they actually absorb it so well, poop less too! So far we are all super happy but time will tell.

I'm not selling this stuff but just wanted to pass on the info, here's photos of what all is in it etc. (I took them for our vet so I had them handy lol)
Good luck!
Rick

IMG_1413.jpgIMG_1414.jpgIMG_1415.jpgIMG_1417.jpg
Ive have heard of life abundance before and its been in the back of my mind. My new rescue poodle seems to have a sensitive stomach, on and off mashed potato stool, on and off diarrhea. Right now he is getting Science diet ID since we use it for another dog. Just can't seem to get his stool correct, if he has a treat of chew he again gets the mashed potato, but he is such a chewer he needs something. thanks for bring up this formula I may just give it a try.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ive have heard of life abundance before and its been in the back of my mind. My new rescue poodle seems to have a sensitive stomach, on and off mashed potato stool, on and off diarrhea. Right now he is getting Science diet ID since we use it for another dog. Just can't seem to get his stool correct, if he has a treat of chew he again gets the mashed potato, but he is such a chewer he needs something. thanks for bring up this formula I may just give it a try.
We are on month 9 now and she still likes it (does not love it like the first few times but that's normal I would guess). We splash a tablespoon of pumpkin on every bowl too. Charlie get's good treats in many verities and her poop is almost always normal, with the exception of an occasional mashed potato but I will take that as a win. Happy New Year Linda!

·
Registered
124 Posts
We are lucky with the Life's Abundance as they have a warehouse 20 minutes from our home, so we save the shipping fee. 40 pound bag is $81 USD and it lasts her 6-7 weeks. Our breeder is offering a 6 year health guarantee on her pups if you use this stuff which seems crazy to me. (but also speaks volumes)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sure, watch stool. Can have anal gland problems & that’s not good. Sorry, but Science diet is not so great. Did you slowly add new food to his old food? If you just change without easing new food in, it will effect their stool.
We are lucky with the Life's Abundance as they have a warehouse 20 minutes from our home, so we save the shipping fee. 40 pound bag is $81 USD and it lasts her 6-7 weeks. Our breeder is offering a 6 year health guarantee on her pups if you use this stuff which seems crazy to me. (but also speaks volumes)
That’s awesome! Life’s abundance is the ONLY one for ours! Good luck, won’t regret

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
We are on month 9 now and she still likes it (does not love it like the first few times but that's normal I would guess). We splash a tablespoon of pumpkin on every bowl too. Charlie get's good treats in many verities and her poop is almost always normal, with the exception of an occasional mashed potato but I will take that as a win. Happy New Year Linda!
Happy New Year to you and yours too!

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Sure, watch stool. Can have anal gland problems & that’s not good. Sorry, but Science diet is not so great. Did you slowly add new food to his old food? If you just change without easing new food in, it will effect their stool.

That’s awesome! Life’s abundance is the ONLY one for ours! Good luck, won’t regret
Yes thanks not my first rodeo, I know about transitioning, and I actually like SD but like anything else its dependent on the particular dog. My cairn terrier can eat only the SD digestive care or she gets sick and can't eat. No anal gland issues, no parasites including coccidia, giardia. Ones doesn't know the full background not his pup but I know it wasn't very good, so. I am going to give the life abundance a try and go from there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts