Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Tango just turned 9 weeks and has his first set of shots.  The vet (well, person who answered the phone) I called yesterday said that he shouldn't go outside or around other dogs until he's had all his shots.  REALLY??  That's like 4 months old, isn't it?  What happens when people already have dogs and introduce a puppy to the family?

My mother in law is not happy that we won't bring Tango by, but she has two dogs and we told her the vet said no.  It just seems like such an awful long time to not get him used to the outdoors or other animals.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
It just seems like such an awful long time to not get him used to the outdoors or other animals.
It is a long time and will probably do more harm than good.  After all, kids aren't kept isolated until they've received all their shots; why should a puppy be any different.  (And in fact, it's even more important to get puppies out and socialized because people don't turn their kids in to shelters for inappropriate behavior!)  

Some articles which address the socialization vs. vaccination risk analysis:
http://www.urbandawgs.com/puppysocialization.html
http://www.4pawsu.com/Messer_Socialization.pdf

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Jessie has been around other dogs and at other peoples houses with their dogs since she we got her at 6.5 weeks

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay thanks.  That's what I figured.  I haven't had a puppy in many years, but I don't remember me holding my last one back.  I can understand maybe staying away from dog parks until fully immunized, but my mother in laws dogs are healthy and up to date in shots, so I don't really think it is wise to keep him from socializing and learning.  My mom also has a daycare and he loves playing with the kids.  I thought now was a great time to get him used to them and the noises, etc.

·
Registered
693 Posts
We pretty much had both of our pups quarantined until they had all of there shots. Being an old worry wart we didn't want to take the chance. I go out of my way to socialize my dogs so I do not think it has hurt them a bit.  :D

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
If you already have dogs, it's kinda hard to keep them isolated, but definitely keep him from dog parks til fully vaccinated..It is good to start socializing now while they are young :)

·
Registered
913 Posts
We have not let Ashley have too much freedom with strange dogs at least. The dogs she plays with are all friends of ours , and all have been vacinated themselves. I cringe taking her to PetCo, or Petsmart, because the one near our home I have encountered poopy mess on the floor before, and thanked my lucky starts that she wasn't there.
You can always check to see if there is a doggie daycare in your area for socialzation ( they require all shots before participation..or at least SHOULD..otherwise, please don't risk your baby! ). Today was final shot day For Ashley..now I have to give her the required 2 weeks for the boosters to do their work and we can play!! YEAH!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
UNFORTUNETLY YOU SHOULD NOT TAKE YOUR PUPPY OUT- I WAS TOLD IF THEY HAVE TO GO TO PETSMART ETC YOU SHOULD CARRY THEM - SO CARRY THEM UNTIL THEY ARE OVER 4 MONTHS OR WAIT UNTIL THAT TIME TO ALLOW THEM TO WALK ON THEIR OWN,SAME WITH PARKS, VETS OFFICES ETC. SO THEY DO NOT CATCH ANY VIRUS' ETC.

OUR PUPPY GOT PARVO - IT WAS BECAUSE OUR AREA THAT WE MOVED TO IS NEW DEVELOPMENTS - THE STIRRING UP OF NEW LAND ,DIRT IN THE AIR ETC. IT IS DIFFICULT BUT FOR THE HEALTH OF YOUR PUUPY IT WOULD BE THE BEST THING TO DO WE ALMOST LOST OUR DOG HE MADE IT BUT OUR LIVES WERE HELL FOR 3 MONTHS MAKING SURE HE DID!! SOMETHING SO EASY CAN SAVE THEIR LIFE! IF I HAD KNOWN PRIOR I WOULD'NT HAVE GOTTEN MY DOG..

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys and I definitely appreciate your experiences and advice.  I guess I really just want to be able to take him to my mother in laws and mom's place without worrying too much.  I won't be taking him to parks or with strange dogs and right now he is still small enough that we do carry him around.  Hopefully these next couple of months go by fast!  Warm weather is approaching and I want to start taking him out!

·
Registered
880 Posts
I think its find to socialize your puppy with dogs that YOU know for sure are completely vaccinated.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I won't take Lenny to the dog park until he has his last puppy shot (he's getting it today actually) but I haven't hesitated to let him run around the front yard, back yard, meet 4 neighbor dogs (2 different owners) and go to the beach.  The risk is all relative and needs to be evaluated on a case by case basis.  We also went to PetCo which I'm somewhat questioning myself for now (but Lenny did have 3 of the 4 shots).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts