Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m New here and I hope this is the best section to get an answer.I’ve had Tidus since he was 8 weeks old. His mom was a registered boxer that I did meet , here are her pictures .
EFFB09C3-4E12-43B6-B11F-4C64BB2E84FD.jpeg

They told us his dad was a Pyrenees but he wasn’t available . He’s perfectly healthy and doing fine I’m just wondering . Based off these images and information how big do you think he will be when full grown . He was 40 pounds at 5 months . He is 6 months now, and his Birthday was July 21st 2020.

·
Registered
873 Posts
His Dad is Great Pyrenees? He sure doesn't look like that! He is six months old so he will grow until at least 2 but that doesn't mean up they will do some filling out as well. He looks like he is a good boy though surprised they docked his tail.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Great Pyrenees? I don't see it. Based on his current weight I'd guess he will be 60-70 lbs by the time he reaches maturity at 2 years old. He is probably near 75% of his height. He will fill out as he matures. Now to me he looks like he may be mixed with some pitt. Chip can probably come in on that better as he owns a boxer/pitt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahh so you guys thinks he’s mixed with pit ?? They told us Great Pyrenees for sure but that makes since since he isn’t very tall at the moment. Maybe I need a DNA test lol. The vet we took him to at 5 months said he would probably be only 50-55 pounds which worried me since she said he was already 40 so it didn’t make sense that he would only grow 15 more pounds his entire life. Just wanted to check .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
His Dad is Great Pyrenees? He sure doesn't look like that! He is six months old so he will grow until at least 2 but that doesn't mean up they will do some filling out as well. He looks like he is a good boy though surprised they docked his tail.
Why shouldn’t they have docked the tail?? Don’t boxers and pitts get tails docked ??

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I believe the reference to his docked tail is that usually in a mixed breed dog they don't bother to dock the tail. I do not think Pitts get their tails docked either. IN any case he is a handsome dog and you could do one of those DNA tests to see his heritage if your interested.

·
Registered
873 Posts
They usually don't dock mixed breed dogs I guess unless you are selling them disguised as something else? Don't know never seen a pit with a docked tail butchered ears yes but not the tail

·
Super Moderator
7,084 Posts
I’m going to say he will Probably top out at 70lbs. He look Pit/boxer crossed to me as well. I bet they are assuming a neighbour’s farm dog bred her when it could of been any dog if they weren’t properly supervising her.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
If you really want to know aside from handsome, what he is?? Your really going to need a DNA test. I see no "Great Pyrenees , in him at all?? Not by shape, size or color?? To have GP, in him I would expect to see a dog/pup with more "Bulk," taller and longer and at least a moderate level of curling in the coat?? As in, that is most definitely ... "Not," an "All Weather Dog."

The "Boxer," part is pretty clear, the general shape, Deep Chest and tiny waste is there and the coat color, from "Boxer's," always seem to carry over and dominates in the multitude of typical "Boxer's mixes." I have seen a ton of Boxer/Pitt's but I have never seen one in Blue, or Red??

Boxer/Pitt mixes are "very common," and very standard in character and type for a dog that is not a "Breed." Pretty much all Boxer for the most part ... with a "tad," more Tenacity and Pig Headishness, a trait I am pretty sure is reserved to the girl's??

But for the most part if you've had a "Boxer," first then a "Boxer/Pitt," holds no surprises?? Annoyingly so I might add at times?? I like to be "Accurate," in describing my dog! And I always say "Boxer/Pitt," and if "some people," have at some point a "Boxer," in the past?? And Bella is busy licking and greeting "stranger's," she just met, I hear them say, yep "All Boxer's," are like that?? "Pitt/mixes need all the good "PR," they can get so this annoys me!

But back on point, the shape of the head?? I started with "Band Dawg's," any combo of these guy's. :
Is a Band Dawg.

My first dog was a "Band Dawg," that is what I wanted and that is what I got! My second dog was a Boxer/Pitt, and I lost him in an accident, crap happens. I was devastated but I knew what he was like. At the time ... I could not find another Boxer/Pit?? But I knew the traits I was looking for?? So my Band Dawg, was Pitt enough so that's not it?? So maybe a Boxer?? And yep that was my Stewie's other half! I was sold on Boxer's!

But the "Boxer Head??" No as far as I have seen the shape of the Boxer head ... does not "cross over??" The general, shape Big Deep, Chest, Slim Narrow Waist, "Tiny Feet," the coat and colors ... alway's! But the shape of the Boxer Head?? That does not seem to carry??

Now I bet it would with a Bull Mastiff/Boxer Cross?? But I have never heard of or seen such a Combo?? I guess no one feel's for the need for a 150 dog that act's like a Boxer??

Oh well lot's of rambling I suppose ... it's what I do. But a DNA test is pretty much the only way you will "Know What He Is?? AlI we can do is guess?? And looking at him now ... I would say clearly a Boxer/Mix?? I would also guess he like's people?? And I would guess at maturity he would must likely not get much past 75 lb's?? No where near a GP in weight or stature.

Anyway ... in the Boxer/Pitt category this is my Bella. :

And the color and the personality is all people seem to see, when they meet her out and about?? Now at home yeah ... I do have "issue's??" If I don't say "Place," first!" If someone knocks on the front door ... she will slam into the door like a "Freight Train!" And if your not a "Dog Person," she will scare the crap out of you! But if you know dog's, you can see she is smiling the whole time. It's a waiting game for us ... I am waiting for her to show "some kinda, common sense," for the front door?? And she is waiting for me, to get over it!

Welcome Aboard in any case. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m going to say he will Probably top out at 70lbs. He look Pit/boxer crossed to me as well. I bet they are assuming a neighbour’s farm dog bred her when it could of been any dog if they weren’t properly supervising her.
Exactly! They told me they thought the neighborhood Pyrenees jumped over the fence and was the father. But I do trust you guys opinion and I don’t see any Pyrenees either haha . I’m gunna get a DNA test to make sure though. And 70 is good. Like I said the vet said he would top out at 55 and I wanted him to be bigger then that lol reason for the post . Thanks for all you guys response.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
does anybody know of a boxer/ pit has aggression issues ? He’s sweet right now at 6 months but we are thinking about getting a Boston terrier next month . You guys think there might be issues ?

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Honestly I don't know. We have always been a multiple pet household. However they have been mix of sizes and personalities. Small dogs I just don't put with the big dogs basically because of size issues not any aggression issues. I just don't want a heavy dog stepping on a lil one in play. But thats me, lots of people do it without problem. I lost my boxer to a brain tumor last March and he was fine with my Standard Poodle but the poodle was bouncier than my boxer so I would need to separate them at times, just so they could settle. My boxer was very laid back as boxers go and was not any problem with my small 15 lbs cairn terrier. But she and my standard poodle are not really god together, he is too bouncy for her and she doesn't want to be bothered, so I separate. So you will be the judge.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I agree with the above post I have never like the big dog small dog dynamic and is the dog you are going to get the same sex? Be care I have heard Boston Terriers can be a very dominate type dog and they often want to fight so there are a lot of possible problems here its great when they get along "till they don't"

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
You can go with two neutered males or male/female combo. I never heard of bostons being aggressive or dominant but I guess you can have that in any breed. I would buy from a respected reputable breeder and let them know all about the current dog and they can probably come up with a good match. I see more and more breeders able to identify what a person wants in their pup as long as the buyer is honest and open with them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree with the above post I have never like the big dog small dog dynamic and is the dog you are going to get the same sex? Be care I have heard Boston Terriers can be a very dominate type dog and they often want to fight so there are a lot of possible problems here its great when they get along "till they don't"
I planned on getting a male Boston terrier 8-10 weeks old obviously not neutered yet . And my boxer is 6 months and won’t be Neutered until about 14-18 months. But I haven’t actually heard of Boston terries being aggressive at all. I know a few and they are precious lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can go with two neutered males or male/female combo. I never heard of bostons being aggressive or dominant but I guess you can have that in any breed. I would buy from a respected reputable breeder and let them know all about the current dog and they can probably come up with a good match. I see more and more breeders able to identify what a person wants in their pup as long as the buyer is honest and open with them.
Yes! I will do that for sure . I’m hoping because they are both under a year old they can grow together and it won’t be an issue . Tidus hasn’t ever barked at a human or dog yet lol so I’m hoping the territorial side isn’t quite there yet.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Just a side note, its usually best to have one well trained dog before adding another as training becomes a little more involved in that you need to train separate and together. But I'm sure you will know what will work for you and the time you have to devote to training. Best of luck.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
does anybody know of a boxer/ pit has aggression issues ? He’s sweet right now at 6 months but we are thinking about getting a Boston terrier next month . You guys think there might be issues ?
To address that if he is "sweet," right now?? That should not change, unless "you," manage to mess it up?? And there are a "couple," of way's people manage to do that??

And without "factoring," in "High Rank Dive?? Which "was," unbeknown to me at the time?? A GSD issue?? Bully Breed's ie Boxer's, Boxer/Pitts etc are, Low Rank Drive Dog's. They don't seek to be the top dog in a Pair or a Pack. Two or more dog's. Wherever they are is "Good Enough!" But a GSD, not so much ... apparently, so there is that.

But you don't have a GSD, sooo what could go wrong?? Well I don't know what you do with him, day to day?? But if you want to have "issue's??" The two best way's to make that happen are by taking him to the "Dog Park," and by doing on leash "meet and greets," with random unknown dog's on leash! Let that kind of thing go "slideway's," a couple of time's and you have a whole different dog on your hand's! "I better get them before they get me," sort of thing. And a Pitt mix, can play that game big time!! And it's all downhill, from there! So job one ... "DON"T" do that. :)

Aside from that, it's just basic Dog/Puppy stuff. You can let them play within limit's and ideally the larger dog will be gentle and tolerant with puppy. Some older dog's LUV, puppies, some will tolerate them and some can't stand them. It depends on the dog??

So you'd have to see where your dog is on that scale?? And beyond that "indoors," you may have to clam down on any rough housing?? They can play and whatever but no "Chasing Indoors!" Outside especially my Struddell, sigh it could sound like a serious "Dog Fight," at times?? But just a "Boxer," thing. But that kind of crazy stopped at the door!

Indoors my dog's were calm! And you will need to keep an eye on toy's and food?? They might like to share "Toy's and Food??" And they might not?? It depends on the dog?? But usually with two it doesn't matter?? Again it depends on the dog??

And the size difference, well with the right dog that can work out fine. My Band Dawg luv'd puppies! He was 85 lbs and (formerly Dog Aggressive) but he luv'd puppies and he knew how to dial it down! :)

But that kind of behavior is not a given. It depends on the dog?? So yeah, it does seem like it is a bit soon to be adding another dog?? s But as long as your current dog, is not an "Out of Control, Badly Behaved A-Hole??" You should be fine. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts