Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello you all, I know lately I’ve been posting more then normal but this is my first boxer and I some concerns about his growth . I’ve had GSD and other big dogs . My boxer is 10 and half months old and has been stuck at a weight of 51-52 pds for about 3 months now . He eats twice a day up to 5 cups and goes to day care everyday . I can see his ribs very slightly and feel his spin . I thinking if getting him neuter at 1 years old but not sure if that will do anything to his growth . I read a lot of conflicting information.

Thank You

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I know they go through phases. My guy got really lanky at one point. Looked like a giraffe. Your boy still has plenty of growing to do, probably at the minimum another 8 months. Not sure what the average is at 10 months, but it doesn't seem too far off.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
At ten months he is already a nice size. He will fill out during his 2nd year, even with neutering him around 12 or so months. Keep in mind a GSD is a large breed dog and a boxer technically is a medium size dog.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I agree he will grow until he is at least 2, he is burning a lot of calories at daycare probably running non stop! I am surprised they let him continue to attend being un neutered. There is a lot of conflicting info on neutering and I think its best each owner do what they think is best for their own dogs situation and behavior. I decided to leave my male intact he doesn't have any behavior or aggression issues and he cannot get to any intact females so I have left him intact plus one of the Vets I see specializes in large breed dogs and he also feels its best to leave intact if possible. I had two other previous males before the one I have now and one was neutered (because he was cryptorchid) and one was not I saw no difference in their weight or development at all both matured out nice looking fit males.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts