Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
Henry loves to sun his little belly.  It's 80 today and I think he may be getting a sunburn.  Since the weather has warmed up, he has shed what little hair he has and his belly is almost bald!
Can I put a sunblock on him?  Will it upset his stomach if he licks it?
Thanks,
Zhanna

p.s.
our computer is broken, so I'm visiting the library.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
"people" sunblock can be used on dogs. I was informed by my vet that it is best to use the kind for babies (i.e Water Babies by coppertone) Once I used regular spf 15 on one of my previous boxers before becuase i had no baby sunblock and it didnt seem to bother  him.

·
Registered
770 Posts
We always use sunblock on Daisy in the summer with her being white. We always use a people sunblock factor 50 plus which is actually the same sunblock that I use for myself (I'm fair skinned and freckly so I burn very easily!)
Daisy has tried to lick it off herself before. We've never had any problems. Perhaps you could try applying his sunblock then give him a treat to munch on whilst it's being absorbed into his skin to distract him from licking it straight off!

Heather

·
Registered
37 Posts
the vet gave me a pet guard, it is a sunblock for dogs, ask them. that what i use on my white boxer, whr\en he goes out..

·
Registered
905 Posts
As people have said, you can use any sunblock that's formulated for children.  Factor 50 would be ideal, but certainly nothing lower than 30.  As for licking it off, Heather's suggestion of distracting them with a treat is a very good one, and you should also try and find a non-greasy formula as it will absorb quicker and not be as likely to make Henry sick if he does lick it off.

Try to keep him out of the sun altogether during the hottest part of the day - 11am - 3pm. And remember, the nearer to each pole you are, the quicker your dog (and you!) will burn!  Burn time in Ireland during the summer van be as little as 8 minutes because of our latitude (53o N).

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Samson loves to sit out in the sun when it gets nice out, but he will only stay out for a bit..I guess the age thing has something to do with it..When Buck was a pup he used to sunbathe all the time, but as he got older, he would generally stay inside..Tia was my sunbaby, she loved to soak up some rays...I never had any issues with burning tho..What everyone has told you is good advice and I esp like the idea of diverting Henry's attention by giving him treats.... :)

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys!
We're south of Houston, so we're in a subtropical climate.  It's funny.  After I posted the question, the skies clouded up and it's been cloudy ever since!
I think the treats will work.  He loves a good cookie! :wink:
Zhanna

1 - 9 of 9 Posts