Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Dezi has started to throw temper tantrums over the last couple days.  What will happen is he and Boz (our older boxer) will be playing super rough and we decide that the play is getting out of hand (not like either are mad but that they are playing rough and I don't want anyone to get hurt) so we get Boz to stop and Dezi will keep on going and going and we are having to grab him and just starts fussing and nipping and scratching.  We don't know what to do in this situation, we know what to do to an adult in the situation but not a puppy.  Do we not let the play get to that level? If that's the case how do I avoid the play getting to that level?  
Anyways, I'm lost! Please help!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
i am not really sure, but i feel like i have read that Boz should know what Dezi can handle and in the end Boz will let dezi know if he is being too aggressive

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dezi is a loud player, like makes crazy tazmanian Devil noises when he's playing and when it gets too loud that's when we decide it's too rough. Do you think that we should just let them work it out? I just don't want to bother the neighbors with the boxer noises, how do you train them as pups to quite down?  I think he might have just gotten over tired and maybe frusterated? I don't know I grabed him up and put him on the couch next to me and he was asleep with in seconds.  I'm a new puppy owner and don't know how to handle this!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Dungy plays like that w/ my sister lol... he gets (or got lol) loud and screechy and bitey.  I understand the noise thing, i always made a loud noise to get his attention when he was getting crazy but i feel like when dungy was loud and crazy he wasnt TOO aggressive, it was just his way of being excited... Boz will show him who is the boss if he gets out of control

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could Dezi be getting annoyed because Boz has put him in his place? I keep on thinking about how much it would suck to ALWAYS lose in play!  Do dogs work like that? He's still sleeping like a baby it's been over an hour, he's such a funny guy!

G

·
0 Posts
Lizcantjump\";p=\"108268 said:
Dezi is a loud player, like makes crazy tazmanian Devil noises when he's playing and when it gets too loud that's when we decide it's too rough.
Bear sounds the SAME way.  I used to step in and stop then when it got loud, but now i don't.  Binga lets him know when its enough and vice versa.  They just play and then wear themselves out then take a nap.  I sat and watched them one day..   loud crazy noises, growling, howling..    it was all playing though.  No major biting...  just LOUD.

Bear is a back talker too.  If I correct him sometimes he will bark at me.  I think its the age thing.  How old is Dezi?  Bear is about 3 and a half months I think.  Its the "bratty" age   :)

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
lol i never thought of that... well lets see lol... when my sis is getting him crazy, he gets the worse when she pushes him away lol so MAYBE lol... Dezi is sooo cute.  Obviously boz doesnt mind that much cuz he would def make dezi stop, thats what my lab does to dungy and dungy stops RIGHT AWAY

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dezi will be 3 months next week, Boz is 3 1/2 years old.  I won't step in anymore, I'll see where that goes.  When they are playing it's just that, it's play it's nothing nasty it's just play I hate the noises though! Once it gets to an extreme level I am afraid our neighbors can hear it (we live in an apartment) I've made some head way getting him to quite down. I mean I totally understand boxer are loud players it's just the puppy pitch is so loud! Thanks for all the help!

G

·
0 Posts
I have made them be quiet when I was trying to watch TV.  They were SO LOUD I couldn't hear what I was trying to watch!  Haha.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know! that's usually when we try to step in! It's so hard to hear the TV over all the crazyness!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Liz, the only way I know of how to make Ashley quiet..is either distract her with a toy ( usually works ) or there has been a few times during the "bratty 3 month stage" where I had to place my hand on her muzzle, and look at her hard and sternly voice "QUIET!!" She didn't LIKE it..but it stopped the barking, as afterward, I would turn my back on her..which she HATES..
Now when I tell her "QUIET" she stops..and comes and licks me..like she is appologizing..I never hurt her..wasn't even forcefull with the muzzle grab..but Geez..it really HURT my ears!
With two..it may be a crating issue..like "You don't behave, and settle down..you need to go to your quiet place" ( although I am going to bet that most people here will not agree that using the crate for ths is appropriate..but your in an apartment..not like you can let one of the two trouble makers out side to calm down!) Also..probably need to work on the "no bite" command..ALOT..as he shouldn't go after you for holding him...just my opinion :roll:

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I have the same issue at my house and it is my place to intervene.  The practicing of play getting that wild is not in Talia's best interest. It is practicing behavior I don't want to do on indefinately.  Mateo has not ever corrected her and the reason for that is that he doesn't want to teach her to be a bully.  She can get very wild.  I have had to snap back on the leash and keep her with me and teach her to settle down.  That means to relax.  Mateo appreciates my intervention at those times and Talia is learning to respect my request.  He looks to me as a good "pack leader".  Talia is also learning the respect and responsibilities of being in our household.

Nano

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I settle Kiah and Keegan down when play gets too loud & crazy.  I want them to know the "settle" command so if one of them is playing too rough with another dog or getting wild around company, they know they have to take it easy when I say so.  Boxer play is too rough for some dogs.  I do have to say that neither Kiah or Keegan are rough at the dog park with the little dogs so that is a good thing.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
[quote="Lizcantjump\";p=\"108275":1qjmc5ld]Dezi will be 3 months next week, Boz is 3 1/2 years old.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I think it depends on the dog a lot...Whether they are soo laid back that they,being the older one will tolerate a lot more..If that's the case, I think Boz will let Dez know when he's had enuf....At 3 mos Dez is testing as well, trying to see how far he can go...It's going to be interesting for me when we bring Flick home as Samson is VERY laid back, he puts up with anything, I look to him to be steadying influence with Flick, which should balance out against Angel and her hyperness :) Boxers just play loud and if you have a vocal one to begin with(that's Angel) it will get pretty intense...Really you need to know the body language of your dogs, check out that Sticky regarding body language for some good tips

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Boz is super laid back as well. It's pretty crazy, he just so confident he doesn't mind when other dogs push his boundaries. It's really stange because we'll be at the dog park and he doesn't mind if another dog mounts him he'll just be like "oh whatever" he's not submissive he just doesn't mind.  It's really strange! I feel that he is that way with Dezi just doesn't care at all.  He's already learning the "quite" command which is pretty nice. I think he's learning commands threw Boz's infulence.  It's pretty nice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts