Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our beautiful pup is now 9 weeks old and very active, fun and loving. He is a handful thats for sure!

We have him on a raw diet which he has been responding to very well, no issues with diarrhoea or vomiting at all.

My question is as a 9 week old his ribs are showing a little. I'd say he's around 6-7kg at the moment and growing by the day. Is it normal for them to be very lean at this age? His legs are really long, in my eyes he just looks like a fit puppy but I wonder if he is underfed.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Maybe check with your vet on this issue personally I don’t like to see any dogs ribs showing, maybe you need to tweak the diet to make sure the proper calories are being consumed your puppy is at an important growth stage and the nutrition he is getting now will impact his adulthood so consult with a vet or someone who is well versed in the raw diet like Kano Boxers

·
Registered
35 Posts
Our beautiful pup is now 9 weeks old and very active, fun and loving. He is a handful thats for sure!

We have him on a raw diet which he has been responding to very well, no issues with diarrhoea or vomiting at all.

My question is as a 9 week old his ribs are showing a little. I'd say he's around 6-7kg at the moment and growing by the day. Is it normal for them to be very lean at this age? His legs are really long, in my eyes he just looks like a fit puppy but I wonder if he is underfed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Feed 1 Cup of soaked Large Breed Puppy food plus 1/4 Cupo of Purina pro plan puppy food 3 X / day. Pup is growing skeleton and is going to look skinny, but will eventually fill out..

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
New puppy owner's often feel or are told by other's that there puppy look's skinny? I heard it all the time with my Struddell, but what ever. She was on canned and kibble and I fed her what seemed "right," and if she wanted more? I would give her more but she was fine.

And she grew up to be a lean and trim 65 lbs girl at two or three year's old. If she is not flipping the bowl over for more? I'd say your doing fine by her. :)

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
If the backbone is clearly visible hip bones and ribs are showing your puppy is very underweight. Raw diets require a careful balance of nutrients so like I said before Kaco Boxers is knowledgeable about this subject. Just keep in mind your puppy is at a crucial growth time in its life.

·
Registered
5 Posts

My question is as a 9 week old his ribs are showing a little. I'd say he's around 6-7kg at the moment and growing by the day. Is it normal for them to be very lean at this age?

Have you had any experience with boxer's before? I have a boxer mum and I kept 2 of her puppies,a girl and a boy that are now just 2 year's old. First of all on my opinion feedin
legs are really long, in my eyes he just looks like a fit puppy but I wonder if he is underfed.

Do you have any experience with boxer's?. I've got a mum and I kept 2 of her puppies. I've got a girl and a boy that are just 2 year's old. First of all I would like to say that in my opinion feeding a raw diet is the best thing you could have done. As you have said your puppy is very lively and super active, just like he should be. You have probably answered your own question with that statement. As quickly as you are feeding him it is been burned off with his activity. I always call this stage of your dogs life the"leggy stage". He may look like Bambi on ice but in my experience all my boxer's have gone through it. If you are concerned about his weight there's loads of websites that gives you an idea of what your pup should weigh for the age he is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts