Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scarlett is a boxer/ english bull mix.that i rescued from the street at about 12 weeks old when a huge german shepherd chased her under my parked car. This was about 3 weeks ago. The previous owners had kept her outside exclusively and let her roam the neighborhood. It was a matter of time before tragedy struck. I talked to the owner and she agreed to let me take her. Scarlett is precious and we love her, but i am a senior with a knee injury. i take her for walks in my 1 acre yard at least 4 times a day and my husband pitches in also. She is very resistant to potty training and she CHEWS EVERYTHING!. The chewing is concerning because i am afraid she is going to choke on something. She also nips and bites when she is playing. i have made a little progress with the biting but it seems like she has an obsessive need to bite. , I want her to have the best life possible and she is currently very hard to live with.
Any experienced advice is welcomed! i have had dogs all my life , but never a boxer. She seems a little differently wired and i need to get a handle on what triggers the "good dog" response in her.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
First of all thanks for rescuing this poor dog evidently she has had a poor start in life being allowed to run wild and fend for herself. She needs to have a restart, do you crate her? I would suggest getting a crate for her when you have to leave or for “time outs” Boxers are pretty active when they are pups and this goes on till about 2 so they need physical activity as well and mental stimulation. Are there any young dogs in your area she could play with in a fenced in area? She will need to burn off some of that energy and she will need daily training say a couple times a day no more than about 15 to 20 minutes or so they get bored. Make sure she has items of hers to chew on like Kongs or other chews made for strong chewers it’s a good idea to not leave her alone with any chew toys in case something comes off. A firm NO when the biting starts turn your back to her don’t give attention to this behavior. She will likely turn out to be a great dog it just takes patience and perseverance and if you can find a good dog training class with her it should help but I do believe she needs more exercise than just walking on a leash right now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response, I agree with you and you bring up some great points.
She has a kong (Peanut butter is her favorite filler) and 2 other chewy toys, I don't exactly "crate" her. We have a small extra bathroom that is her "bedroom" . Her bed and water is in there and when we leave we put her in there and turn off the light. Normally, she doesn't spend much time, if any, in there during the day. We also put her to "bed" between 10:30 and 11:00 PM each night. She whines once in a while but usually settles after a few minutes.
We are making some progress establishing the hierarchy of our pack and she is responding well. i couldn't agree with you more that she needs more exercise. My grandson comes over and plays with her occasionally but its not enough. She is high spirited and fun loving. I play with her daily but i am a senior with a bad knee and just cant keep up with her. We are taking bids to put in a fenced area for her. I think that playing with other dogs would be great socialization for her as well as exercise. She isn't aggressive at all. The last 2 days have been much better as far as the chewing and she is beginning to respond to basic commands like sit, and wait. Potty training is still a challenge. Once we have the yard fenced, i think some of those issues will work out. I have to say, she's really smart and funny but it is like adopting a very active 2 year old. Time and consistent training will win out as well as some of the common sense tools you suggested. Thank you for the support!

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Ok sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. I did not forget but I have never had this problem? Nor have I ever heard of it before? The closes most owners come to "stepping on feet?" Would be jumping and there is tons of info on that! And playing with other dog's can be great "but," that is know safe dog's. Not "Dog Parks," or "Doggy Day Care's.

You'd have no control in those environments and you won't know what kind of dogs are there? And partitioning of your property is great! I could not imagine not having in a fenced in back yard? But don't go crazy with it. All you need is a reasonably sized back yard. Just even space to give you a break. 1/2 qn acre, 1 acre 5 acres or more? A dog knows when they are at home and when they are not? And you *uh any human being, will, "never," out exercise a dog? Owners have been trying that crap for years! And it never works. If you could run 5 miles (uh I can't or maybe won't? Your dog can do 10! And the more of that stuff, they do ... the better at it they get!

Now I will say a Boxer/Bull Dog mix? I would think would not set a very high bar for endurance? But still she could easily out endurance me! :) But some owners of others dog's have tried the exercise cures all, bit with real endurance champs and it does not work! Hmm well I will just skip Husky's(cause one would have no chance of out enudracing one of those guys) and stick with Mal's and Wl GSD's. An owner on Geramanshepard ran marathon's and he would run his dog's 13 miles a day! And when they came home afterwards ... the dog would take a 15 to minuet to half hour nap? And be ready to go again!.

Ok I got more but enough for now and also ... Thank You," for saving her and pictures would be nice! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. I did not forget but I have never had this problem? Nor have I ever heard of it before? The closes most owners come to "stepping on feet?" Would be jumping and there is tons of info on that! And playing with other dog's can be great "but," that is know safe dog's. Not "Dog Parks," or "Doggy Day Care's.

You'd have no control in those environments and you won't know what kind of dogs are there? And partitioning of your property is great! I could not imagine not having in a fenced in back yard? But don't go crazy with it. All you need is a reasonably sized back yard. Just even space to give you a break. 1/2 qn acre, 1 acre 5 acres or more? A dog knows when they are at home and when they are not? And you *uh any human being, will, "never," out exercise a dog? Owners have been trying that crap for years! And it never works. If you could run 5 miles (uh I can't or maybe won't? Your dog can do 10! And the more of that stuff, they do ... the better at it they get!

Now I will say a Boxer/Bull Dog mix? I would think would not set a very high bar for endurance? But still she could easily out endurance me! :) But some owners of others dog's have tried the exercise cures all, bit with real endurance champs and it does not work! Hmm well I will just skip Husky's(cause one would have no chance of out enudracing one of those guys) and stick with Mal's and Wl GSD's. An owner on Geramanshepard ran marathon's and he would run his dog's 13 miles a day! And when they came home afterwards ... the dog would take a 15 to minuet to half hour nap? And be ready to go again!.

Ok I got more but enough for now and also ... Thank You," for saving her and pictures would be nice! :)
Thank you so much for the feedback!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does the bathroom have a window for some natural light to come in?
no, actually, it does not have a window for natural light. That would probably be a real issue if she spent a lot of daytime in there. This was an interim solution initially until i could acquire a crate, however it has worked out very well. She steps into the shower if she has to relieve herself . I don't mind cleaning up the shower because we dont use that bathroom. We leave the light on for daytime confinements and turn the light off at night at bedtime. Daytime confinement is of short duration because i work from home. Only when i have to leave the house is she confined. I finally wised up and paid for some puppy training courses. The training was more for me than her, lol. Better communication has made huge progress. she is still very active but gets lots of attention and has a structured schedule. instead of running around biting everything , she is lying under my feet quietly. I think we will both survive her puppy hood. She had never been allowed in the house until i brought her home and she was really a handful, but 3 weeks of love and training have made all the difference.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Wait what? She uses the shower to go potty while in there? Do you put "potty pads, in there for her? I assume it's a walk in shower? I have no need to train a dog to do this, because I have a fenced in back yard and well lot's of space for walks and runs and stuff. But people that live in the "Big City?" Man this could be a game changer for folks with no back yard or crazy schedule's? Assuming they have also a "walk in shower?" Heck that is why we got our current rescues ... she was "Crated, for 8 to 12 hours a day! And we were her forth (and last home) because family did not have time for her. So she went thur 3 homes in a year? Oh and I still want to see picture's? What does she weigh? What does she weigh? If she is in the ... 75 to 80 lb, range? She could also quite easily be a "Johnson Type, American Bull Dog?" For the most part they tend to look a bit like a Euro Boxer ... on steroids' and usually mostly white? And there is also the Scot type American Bulldog, but they look nothing like a Johnson. Lot of inside fighting in those groups as to which is the Real American Bull Dog?

As the "Johnson," type not only look very Boxerish, they kinda act like them? Which can be good or bad ... depending on what you want? The American Bull Dog's tend to debat a lot as to which is the true American Bull Dog? As they don't have much use for each other. The Scott folk's tend to think the Johnson's are kinda uh useless?" Which is to say ... very Boxer like. :)

And the English Bulldog, part ... well unless the guy knows and saw the parents? That is not so simple ... here is a list of a few Bull Dogs.

Well back on point for the chewing ... I would get cow knuckle bone's for her. Not the leg bone's a few of my dogs have shattered the leg bones and they can produce shards! The knucle bones when new ... keep her sight. The knee caps get shucked off and the can swollen those ... if they are silly enough to try? But aside from that dogs just seem to luv to gwan on them? Or just keep them close?

And stay away from the Antlers! Those are well know to break teeth! But aside from that it sounds like thing's are going well? Is your class actually, training lose leash walking? That is a big deal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wait what? She uses the shower to go potty while in there? Do you put "potty pads, in there for her? I assume it's a walk in shower? I have no need to train a dog to do this, because I have a fenced in back yard and well lot's of space for walks and runs and stuff. But people that live in the "Big City?" Man this could be a game changer for folks with no back yard or crazy schedule's? Assuming they have also a "walk in shower?" Heck that is why we got our current rescues ... she was "Crated, for 8 to 12 hours a day! And we were her forth (and last home) because family did not have time for her. So she went thur 3 homes in a year? Oh and I still want to see picture's? What does she weigh? What does she weigh? If she is in the ... 75 to 80 lb, range? She could also quite easily be a "Johnson Type, American Bull Dog?" For the most part they tend to look a bit like a Euro Boxer ... on steroids' and usually mostly white? And there is also the Scot type American Bulldog, but they look nothing like a Johnson. Lot of inside fighting in those groups as to which is the Real American Bull Dog?

As the "Johnson," type not only look very Boxerish, they kinda act like them? Which can be good or bad ... depending on what you want? The American Bull Dog's tend to debat a lot as to which is the true American Bull Dog? As they don't have much use for each other. The Scott folk's tend to think the Johnson's are kinda uh useless?" Which is to say ... very Boxer like. :)

And the English Bulldog, part ... well unless the guy knows and saw the parents? That is not so simple ... here is a list of a few Bull Dogs.

Well back on point for the chewing ... I would get cow knuckle bone's for her. Not the leg bone's a few of my dogs have shattered the leg bones and they can produce shards! The knucle bones when new ... keep her sight. The knee caps get shucked off and the can swollen those ... if they are silly enough to try? But aside from that dogs just seem to luv to gwan on them? Or just keep them close?

And stay away from the Antlers! Those are well know to break teeth! But aside from that it sounds like thing's are going well? Is your class actually, training lose leash walking? That is a big deal.
Hi,
Thanks for the tips. She does love her toys. She has a couple of really durable canvas covered squeaky toys and when we are in the yard, we play chase with an old fur headband that she just loves.
It is a walk in shower. And no, i didnt put pads in there, i just pick up the solids and spray it all down with bleach and give it a good scrub and rinse it well and its pristine in a few minutes. I have an acre but sadly my yard is not fenced. The "classes" i am taking are online... I am not ready for loose leash training yet. i have only had her 3 and a half weeks, she is 3 months old and still has a short attention span. We live on a busy street and occasionally there are large dogs that wander through our yard. With the cars flying by and the risk of a big strange dog coming through, it gives me anxiety just thinking about it.. LOL . I have photos but am not sure how to load them here. She weighs about 24 lbs. she has almost doubled her weight since i got her.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Hmm, is that her in your Avatar? And the Potty Pads bit? Don't worry about it. The whole potty in the shower thing is nothing I need to do. But down the road it may come in handy for someone else? It's a brilliant freaking idea ... if you have the space and the need. :) And the online training bit? Well first of all, these days that is not unusual? A lot of the top level trainers ... that I would recommend do Skype sessions! And I dont know who you are using? But a heads up? Sooner or later (I would imagine) they are gonna have to mention ... Walking your dog?" And if they mention .... which I would presume any type of "Harness?" That would be the time to Thank them for there service and check out! A regular collar and collar, a Martingale (which uh is not really a training collar but owners thing it is and it is more than acceptable) or a Prong Collar.

Are the only real, choices anything else is "Crap!" You don't have a LE K9 a Personnel Protection Dog or a Military K9. Nor do I, but those dog's are the best of the best. And if those harness thing's worked? The folks that train the best of the best of the best ... would use them, but they don't! So just saying.

And I am gonna jump ahead anyway. Now you did say one acre of space. So yeah room enough and of course a fenced off area for a backyard is great! But now a busy street and other dog's running around across your space at random? That is a bit different? Dealing with "loose Dogs," is kinda my thing ... me and my GSD (Rocky) were Expert's at that crap! And you cant do better than us.

But we never faced more than two dog's at once. I know of a tale where an owner faced four loose aggressive Pit Bull's!?? He got hurt and lost his GSD ... those were pretty bad odds! And I can't say I could have done better. :(

That was years ago but I still remember. :( My GSD came under threat so often that I came up with my own protocol for this crap! And frankly aside from here? You won't find it anywhere? I have a couple threads on here. That explain it but bottom line it work's for dogs from uh 12 lbs to 113 lbs. And with dog's I don't really know that well. And on leash or off! But that is another story.

But I will say ... I never use a Harness! And no Real Trainer will either!. But back on point. Is she also a "Door Bolter?" I did not know about traffic being an issue for you? That is a big deal for me. I pretty much do not tolerate that crap at all ... you can ask Bella! She does like to push crap? Uh still ... Boxer/Pit and I an still waiting for her to do "Right Thing, because she knows? But yeah so far ... that is not happening but. I can leave the front door open and without permission ... She will not step pass that threshold! She does know what she can push and what she can not push!

So I don't know but if threas holds are an issue see here. And you only need a leash and a regular collar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts