Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning guys-
Jasmine and Damien are 13 weeks now and I'm starting to get a little nervous... Damien went from 11lbs to 23lbs in between his vet visit (3 weeks)! I knew they were going to be big doggies don't get me wrong... but it's starting to really hit home that I've got to get these two trained asap before they get to be full grown.  
They sit... no problem - stay... maybe 75% of the time - 'go to bed' (go inside their cage)... ehhh maybe 50% of the time (like this morning my hubby and I were chasing them all over the house b/c they wanted to play and did not want anything to do with their cage.  It's mostly the jumping that I worry about and coming when I call them.  For the jumping I usually ignore them (not making eye contact) while saying 'sit'.  It takes them a few seconds before they remember that they don't get any lovin' from me unless they are sitting.  This works great with me and my hubby b/c we are both consistant but anyone else forget it.  The puppies get so excited they are jumping all over the place.  I tell my freinds and neighbors to do the same as what we are doing and it usually works after a few minutes but when we are out for walks for example or if someone comes over to the house it seems like we are back to square one with the jumping.  
Also coming when called is a big one.  Damien isn't so bad with this but Jasmine... whoa totally different.  She is SO stubborn! OMG! She constantly tests me and the hubby over and over.  She is def one who wants to do things her way and on her own schedule.  

Potty training is going really well.  They love the bell and only have accidents if they are playing (which is understandable they are still puppies).  They still pee in their cage but unfortunately I think this is b/c they simply can't hold it during the day when we are at work (5-6 hours)  :(

Okay so now that I've updated ya'll a bit... my question is regarding 'puppy kindergarden' more specifically Petsmart puppy training.  Is it worth it? Has anyone gone through them and what is the feedback on their training.  

ps- Jasmine has also discovered the whole new world of the 2nd floor of the house! Yippie time to go buy a gate!
brand new carpet + not so potty trained puppy = I don't think so  :lol:

Thanks for listening!
Beka

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Wow....for 13 weeks your pups sound waaaay ahead of the game.  You should be ecstatic!  Seriously, you have nothing to worry about it.  It can take 6+ months for a lot of pups to grasp those concepts.  As for the growth spurt, they are growing puppies....that's a good thing.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Didn't do petsmart or petco for training but others may have.  We went to two; beginning and intermediate and I think they were worth every penny.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Sampson did all the classes at Petsmart- beginner, intermediate, and advanced. He isn't perfect but he minds pretty darn good. Lucy just graduated from puppy beginner and just started intermediate. I think the classes are okay - for me it is a reinforcement to take time to train. I am a very competitive person so I want to make sure my pups are the smartest in the class. So, I am constantly working with them and doing recall at home. They even let Sampson come back to do a refresher course for free. When we adopted Sam they recommended a trainer for us but it was going to be quite expensive so we went the Petsmart route.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I think you are doing really well....The classes I think are a great idea, it will teach them some socialization and dealing with other pups....Teaching recall is an ongoijg project. There is a Sticky topic in the training section that I wrote that deals with recall that you may find very helpful...

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Sounds like your pups are doing extremely well for 13 weeks! Keep up the great work.

We don't have Petsmart in Canada but we took Sadie to puppy training classes and they were great. We had fun and she had a blast. It just went over all the basics which she already knew but it was nice to teach her how to do the basics in a very busy environment. Also, the socialization was very good for her.

As far as peeing in the crate....how much room do you leave them? If they are left with much more room than that which will allow them to stand up, turn around, and lye down they are more likely to have an accident in the crate.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm starting to think about signing Cooper up for training.  The Petsmart classes here run $99 each level.  We also checked into a professional trainer here and she charges about $400.  I'm just waiting for Cooper to get better so nobody is scared of the "mangy mutt" in the class.

·
Registered
186 Posts
With Loki training I am pretty much doing it myself. When we feed him before we put the bowl in the floor he has to sit and shake. He comes when called upon and when we tell him that its bed time he goes in the bedrrom and goes to bed. He is potty trained except for when we are gone he makes messes in his crate. The soon to be hubby and I are on the same shift now so is in his crate 6-8 hours a day. But here soon (like next week) we won't be usign the crate unless its too cold or too hot outside. He will be outside with his buddies, so that will make it easier also. We bought him his first bed this last weekend since he was doing so well on his potty training. He just has got to the point where he is not waking us up to take him out side and he is not making messes in the floor either. Sorry I didn't mean to steal this thread or brag about my puppy this much on here I just got going.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts