Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read that Boxers have the longer puppyhood going until they are 3 years old.  Does this mean that I should not expect so so much out of Baz as far as behavior goes, he'll be very well behaved and then do something naughty and I don't know where it comes from.  He'll even look at us before he does something naughty and then do and do it.  I mean it's never anything too bad, but it makes me worry.  He's either one or two, we rescued him from a shelter so we're not sure, the vet things he's closer to 2.  I didn't know if we need to come down on him with an iron fist or kind of let it slide a little until he's older.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
What the "puppyhood" length of a Boxer really means is ..... they need consistent training and (mostly) that they aren't fully "mature" until that age.  However the age of "maturity" for a Boxer is between two and three years.  Full "maturity" can happen at anytime within that one year time frame.

A boxer of any age should have training, either by their owner or with their owner through a professional trainer.  You should NEVER correct a Boxer (or any dog for that matter) using heavy handed, violent, or angry methods/tactics.  Should a Boxer require a correction for inappropriate behavior you should start with the smallest correction (verbal) and gradually build to a more elevated level of correction (timeout) as required.  This is because Boxers are EXTREMELY intelligent and learn quickly and you want them to learn at a lower level of correction so that the behavior being corrected isnt associated with something unpleasant.

Always replace a corrected behavior with a more appropriate one.  This means that if you have corrected your Boxer for jumping on houseguests (as soon as they get in the door) and you have taught him to sit and wait for the houseguests to enter, you should replace the unpleasant jumping with a more appropriate behavior such as a shake or bow...

I hope this has helped...

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah for sure, I would never in a million years dream of hurting Baz to try to correct him!  An iron fist was just a metaphor!  I was just asking if I should let little things slide or if I should be more understanding that he's still in the puppy mentality, I was just wondering if that is where these behaviors come from.  He may just not be used to our house or something, we've only had him for a month.  
We think that he may have been a farm dog or something because he has no understanding of streets and to not run into them.  When we walked the perimeter with him he walks so well on the leash he wasn't even tempted to stray into the street.   Another reason we think he might have been an outside dog is because he has a huge scar on his underbelly looked like it was an untreated hotspot, it's been getting smaller.  
He was a stray so the shelter has no idea what his story is. We can only piece it together based on his behavior.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I know that with mine, including my previous 2, they all have been a wee bit sensitive as far as being disciplined, they know they have done wrong, and oh it soo hurts their feelings when they know they have made you mad....A sharp voice is generally all I ever need to stop a bad behavior, they know that tone and that Momma means business :)

I just realized you said you have only had him for a short period of time and that he wasn't an inside dog, so any behaviors are really not that unusual...These things are all new to him, but Boxers are very smart and they catch on fast and bottom line, they want to make you happy!!! So, no, a heavy hand isn't needed, just a firm one backed with a lot of love..... :)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I totally understand what you mean about Boxers wanting to make us happy.  I hate having to discipline him even and especially with a sharp tone because he knows what he did was wrong and he's totally sad he disappointed.  He's so smart, I just hope he can learn what a street is and to not go into it.  Is there any way to go about this?  We tried tempting him while walking we walked along the yard border but he walks so well on the leash that it was uneventful! Because he is generally so well behaved it throws us off if he does anything a little squirrelly!  I love his desire to please us.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts