Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My puppy, Milo, is underweight according to the vet, he is 13 weeks old and is 6.84kg or just ovr 15lbs, now i have had him eating on Royal Canine since i had him but he seems to have days when he will eat only 1 bowl of food and other days when he will eat about 2 and a hald bowls.

what can i do or what can i feed him to help bulk him up?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Hmm interesting. I took my Bella to the vet on the weekend and at 11 weeks she is only 12.5 pounds. The vet says she is not underweight and looks helathy. I am guessing she will be just about the same weight like Milo at 13 weeks.
It would be interesting to see what the forum family has to say. I am curious too :).
Oh- Bella LOVES food. We follow the fod bag direction so I dont think I am under feeding her because she still looks fwd to more food when she finishes her bowl. How much you feed her?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
firstboxerowner - thanks for the reply

im sure the vet said 6.84kg, however i was a little bit pre occupied as i was being told as well that milo has a heart murmur, grade 3 they advised, in terms of how much he is fed someday i can put his first bowl down at 8am and theres still half left after a few hours, he seems more interested in sleeping than eating. Vet advised to try scrambled egg which he does like at the moment, but i would still like him to get on the dog food to get him in to a good routine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Missing Link Canine Formula Super Food Original Supplement----It's a bit expensive, but it works wonders. This is what I use on some of my fosters/rescues to get their weight back, it takes time though, be patient. You could also try some chopped chicken mixed with his regular food, too! I hope this helps!! :)

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I got my Daisy at 16 weeks and she was 22 lbs, it may be that your vet isn't all that familiar with boxers. My vet looked at her and said "Don't let anyone tell you she's too skinny, this is a lean athletic breed and this is how they look as puppies - she will fill out" she was all legs and ribs. Started filling out nicely then had a growth spurt, now she's 35 lbs and all legs and ribs again. Dodger was the same and he's doing great at almost 70 lbs. She's almost 6 months now and he's almost 11 months.

Most people on here recommend TOTW - I'll be trying it next to get rid of my Dodgers rank gas issue, apparently most of the boxers love it and it gives them nice logs instead of runny poops. Do some searching, there are many many threads about it! Good luck and please post more pics of your cute little Milo, we all love pics!!!

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I got my Daisy at 16 weeks and she was 22 lbs, it may be that your vet isn't all that familiar with boxers. My vet looked at her and said "Don't let anyone tell you she's too skinny, this is a lean athletic breed and this is how they look as puppies - she will fill out" she was all legs and ribs.
I agree. He doesn't look or sound to skinny. Infact he looks beefy than Max ever has but I suppose it could be the angle in the pictures.
How much is he eating? Meaning how many cups of dog food per day? A good dog food is going to be a lot less than you think.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi there!

My pup is just over 12 weeks now ans she is about 21 pounds. we got her at 8 weeks nad she was 8.4 or so and in a month has gained all that weight. I fed her innova for the first little while and she loved it!
I am a little different when it comes to feeding time though. she gets some sort of meat with every meal! and she gets nothing but all natural food, my rule of thumb is i feed her what i would eat. She is in extremely good health and MARKI is right the boxer is LEAN not fat so trust ur own judgement o and i bake her home made dog treats every couple weeks so she gets the best possible food i can give her.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I think that too much emphasis is put into „underweight“with pups between 8 and 14 weeks. Having said that, 6.8 Kg at 13 weeks does sound a little too little. You said that the vet said he weighs that, why don’t you weigh him yourself to confirm?

Some pups are slow eaters, they pick up later. If you put his bowl down and he does not eat or eat all after say 30 minutes, then remove the bowl, don’t leave it there for him. Don’t start with scrambled eggs, you will only get him spoiled, whet would your prefer, scrambled eggs or kibble?

Was he always like that (slow eater) are only recently? When did you get him, at what age, how was he eating after you picked him up? What was your breeder feeding him? Is he teething?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I also don't think you should worry about it too much, as he doesn't really seem underweight to me. Deacon wouldn't eat his food sometimes either and I started mixing his dog food with some tuna or a raw egg every now and then. I think that made him get more of an appetite because now he wolfs down his food even when it isn't mixed with anything :)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
As far as I'm aware there aren't any "weight gain" foods out there for puppies. I personally wouldn't feed royal canin. I would recommend you do some research about food brands and try to find one that has high quality ingredients and one that your dog finds tasty. Most dog foods will sell "trial size" bags so you can buy a little bag and see if your dog likes it. Or you could just feed him raw.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sarge has a scrambled egg every day. It's nutritious, inexpensive and he loves it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Diesel was at the vet for his 11 week check up and he weighed in at 16lbs and looking great she said. :clap2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

My puppy, Milo, is underweight according to the vet, he is 13 weeks old and is 6.84kg or just ovr 15lbs, now i have had him eating on Royal Canine since i had him but he seems to have days when he will eat only 1 bowl of food and other days when he will eat about 2 and a hald bowls.

what can i do or what can i feed him to help bulk him up?
Hi I just got back from the vet yesterday and my boxer girl is 13 weeks and weighs exactly the same - the vet said she was a healthy weight (go figure) haha

·
Registered
873 Posts
It depends on the sex of the dog there is no set "weight" it also depends on the frame the dog is as well. It goes more from the body than what exactly the scale says. My female was 7lbs at 8 weeks when I got her my male was 14lbs at 8 weeks so there is a difference both of them were in good body weight.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts