Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY NEW PUPPY CHAMP IS 10 WEEKS OLD AND WEIGHS 12 POUNDS IS THIS ABOUT AVERAGE OR WHAT
WE FEED HIM NUTRO LARGE BREED FOR PUPPIES

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
i would say that is a great weight to be at 10 weeks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANK YOU

DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE NUTRO DOG FOOD, I AM NEW TO ALL THIS AND BASICALLY RELYING OPINIONS AND SUGGESTIONS FROM EXPERIENCED OTHERS

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
CHAMP\";p=\"5830 said:
THANK YOU

DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE NUTRO DOG FOOD, I AM NEW TO ALL THIS AND BASICALLY RELYING OPINIONS AND SUGGESTIONS FROM EXPERIENCED OTHERS
Jessie was 11 lbs at 12 weeks...  

I just switched to Nutro actually.  I was feeding Jessie Canidae, which is an excellent food, but i wanted to switch it up (which is a good idea to do every once and while)....

If you're looking for experienced opinions then you came to the right place...

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I havent tried the nutro food, but i know other here have. The one point of advice that i want to give you is that boxers are not large breed dogs, so you dont have to feed a large breed food. Also you dont have to feed puppy food. Most puppy foods have too much protien, which could cause some issue in the long run due to how fast a boxer grows. Maybe you could try switching your pup to an all life stages food, which is helpful in the fact that you dont have to change foods later on, you will just have to change the amount you give. Now i am not an expert on this, i am going off of things i have learned in the past, so if anyone disagrees please feel free to let me know! Hope this helps some! :) Welcome to the forums

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Chloesmom\";p=\"5838 said:
I havent tried the nutro food, but i know other here have. The one point of advice that i want to give you is that boxers are not large breed dogs, so you dont have to feed a large breed food. Also you dont have to feed puppy food. Most puppy foods have too much protien, which could cause some issue in the long run due to how fast a boxer grows. Maybe you could try switching your pup to an all life stages food, which is helpful in the fact that you dont have to change foods later on, you will just have to change the amount you give. Now i am not an expert on this, i am going off of things i have learned in the past, so if anyone disagrees please feel free to let me know! Hope this helps some! :) Welcome to the forums
thats a good point.  I was feeding Canidae all stages to Jessie since she was about 12 weeks until i just switched to Nutro.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I feed both of mine Nutro.  I just switched from puppy to adult food.  I personally wouldn't feed them the large breed brand.  I understand that it has too much of a certain ingredient that is not good for their joints and can cause problems later in life for them.  Boxers are considered a medium size dog not a large breed.  I have found that Nutro Natural has been a good choice for us.  We feed dry in the morning and mix the dry kibble and a little wet in the evening.

BTW, welcome to the site and we can't wait to see pictures of Champ and hear all about him.  You will love his boxer antics!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
The weight seems about right, but like was already said, I would switch to an all stage food...Puppies really don't need all that protein and stay away from large breed foods. Boxers are a medium size dog...Nutro is a good food, I used to feed that to Samson, except I used the blue label which has extra glucosamine for his joints, not a worry for you tho.... :)

Welcome to the forum, look forward to seeing some pictures of Champ...

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Odin's 10wks old. When he was 9 1/2 wks he weighed almost 14 lbs... and I think he looks a little on the SKINNY side.  :) LOL but what do I know... I'm new to this too!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL THE HELPFUL ADVICE AND LOOK FORWARD TO CHATTING LATER
I HOPE TO GET SOME PICS OF CHAMP LOADED SOON

1 - 16 of 16 Posts