Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,everybody!
my boxer(mars) is 7 months old and hes only 53cm(20.9 inches o summin like this)
and he wights 48 pounds!
is that normal?i mean...he looks so tiny compared to other 7months old boxers!

·
Registered
105 Posts
From what I've read around the forums, the first year he will grow "up", and the second year he will grow "out" (start filling out). So unless all his ribs are showing to the extreme or his spine is really showing, you should not be worried. I have a 3 mo old boxer, and withing the past few weeks he tends to look super skinny, then fills out a lil, then skinny again, ect... More than likely he is growing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
A good rule of thumb is you should be able to just see his ribs under the skin and you shouldn't see bones in the hind area. Your little man sounds a little lite in his weight. He could also just be a smaller than average boxer. You might want to get him into the vet for a check up to make sure everything is okay. Buy the way whats his name?

Good luck
Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the names mars...the weights not a real problem(hes pretty chubby)but the 53cm?hes so small!
i mean dont get me wrong,i dont mind if hes gonna be a smaller type.how tall were your boxers at 8months?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
jessie was 45lbs on the 11th... but after the surgery she lost weight, it was pretty visable too... so im trying to get some weight back on her.

dont know her height though

·
Registered
616 Posts
Gunner is 7 mos old and his is 20" tall - he is 55 lbs.  He will be the bigger of our two.  Scout if I can remeber was about 18" tall and about 35 lbs at that time.  Scout is now a year old and he is 22" tall and about 55 lbs.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
arent boxers supposed to be 64-67cm?
No - 57-63 cm.  He sounds as if he's right on track.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Gunner's dad was 26" at the withers and weighed in at 90 lbs.  He was not fat either.  He was solid and muscular - quite a good looking guy!  I can only hope Gunner looks like him  :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
My Chloe is 15 months old and she only weighs 45 lbs. Her vet said she is normal but everyone else keeps telling me shes not. You can see all of her ribs and her spine and butt bones. I had her on purina one for puppies and I leave it out for her to graze all day. Then at dinner time I mix whatever is left usually about a cup with canned food, and she devours it. I also try to feed her eggs and pasta a couple of times a week (I heard that would fatten her up) But she just doesn't gain weight. I just recently switched her to pedigree dry food with meaty centers and she really likes it but she still isn't gaining. Shes been dewormed and has regular vet visits so its not that. Is this normal or does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
No offense, but Pedigree really isn't that great of food...I'd go with Canidae or Blue Buffalo. Both are very high quality & I know Canidae comes in  lamb & rice version that is easier on the tummy....

She does sound too thin if you can see her spine, that'a always an alarm bell thing. With her being almost a year and a half, she's still a puppy actually, but the weight is a concern..Is she real active? She may have a very high metabolism, which allows her to burn off calories quick. That was always my problem with Buck, I never could keep weight on him...If you have a kong, fill it with Peanut Butter, yogurt & a banana, freeze it for a couple hours & let her work on that. It's got a bit more protein which she could use....

It might be time to consider some other testing if she doesn't start gaining weight, but I'd like to see a picture of her first  :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have never heard of those two kinds of food but thank you I will be looking for them. Her vet told me that as long as it has meat as one of the first ingredients then its good. Should I put her back on the puppy food we just changed her like 2 weeks ago to see if that helped. Also I do give her yogurt and cottage cheese as treats. Her favorite is when I take beef and veggies baby food and freeze it like a doggy pop, she goes wild. She is very active but I dont think any more than any other boxer. Thats just there nature i think. I am adding her pic so you can tell me what you think. She is also alot shorter than most boxers. I didnt get to see her parents or litter mates but have you ever heard of anyone trying to breed them to be smaller.  I sure hope that isn't the case. She seems happy and VERY active and she eats like a horse. I just worry that she's not normal and there might be something wrong with her. Her vet says boxers grown slower than most dogs and everyone else (who doesnt have or know boxers) tells me there is something wrong with her.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's a tough picture to really tell.  Perhaps you could get a "show dog" type picture so we can see her standing from the side and see the ribs and back more clearly.  It's encouraging to hear that she has plenty of energy and nothing seems amiss aside from her stats, though.  Chloe  is similar to Braddock almost and he is almost 5 months now and 38 lbs.  Mind that there is a difference because of female and male.  I couldn't find a pic identical to the position of yours and I can't seem to get the pic edited right.

·
Registered
616 Posts
She is gorgeous!  Looks like my Scout.  He is on the thin side too.  We feed our Nutra (we get it at Petsmart) 2x a day.  In the morning it is dry and in the evening, we too mix ours with the canned food.  He never seems to gain weight but Gunner looks solid.  Every boxer is different.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I wouldn't put her back on puppy food..no, no..Shes too old for that...I'm no expert, but she sounds like a normal teenage boxer..She doesn't sound like a couch potato!! Which is a good thing, but also could be why she doesn't keep weight on. Like I said, my Buck was just like that and I was forever trying to put weight on him...

As far as the height thing, you got me there. A reputable breeder would not be breeding "short " boxers I can tell you that. The 2 dog foods I suggested are very good quality and a lot of people on here use them, also I believe Matt posted a web site that does comparisions that you might check out..And like everyone is saying, each boxer is different..

She looks healthy from the picture you added, but I can understand your concern..Any changes you make, don't forget to make slow...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts