Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
The likelihood is high usually, you would just have to be patient and keep looking!

Don't discount Boxer/Mixes, I got into Boxers because of Stewie(RIP) his mom was a Boxer, dad was a pug. He had a Boxer personality and was what I had to have again!

I couldn't find the right mix so I just went with a straight up Boxer! :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
I don't have much info about purebred opportunities at rescues but my sister-in-law has been looking at rescuing a puppy and she has said that the younger they are the faster they get adopted so you just have to keep up with looking and decide quickly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your help everyone!!

Saraha: I'm in New Jersey...the only rescues i can prob look into are NJ, NY and PA... Not sure how I feel about shipping a dog

·
Registered
212 Posts
contact the boxer rescue for your area, put in your application and get approved, including a house visit or 3 to make sure you know what you are getting into, then keep a close eye out for pups. don't wait until you see one you like as others have already been approved and are waiting most likely.

Also check the craigslist for your area and nearby areas. Sadly, a lot will turn to craigslist to get rid of a boxer, and they charge a "rehoming" fee to make it sound more like they are legit when really they are just getting rid of a dog they don't want for whatever reason and are trying to recoup money or make money. If you use craigslist, be sure to ask them to go with you to the animal shelter with the dog (before money changes hands) and have it scanned for chips. There are also those who will steal a dog from out of state and try to "rehome" it. and always meet in a public place (like a trusted vets office, who can also do the scanning).

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
contact the boxer rescue for your area, put in your application and get approved, including a house visit or 3 to make sure you know what you are getting into, then keep a close eye out for pups. don't wait until you see one you like as others have already been approved and are waiting most likely.

Also check the craigslist for your area and nearby areas. Sadly, a lot will turn to craigslist to get rid of a boxer, and they charge a "rehoming" fee to make it sound more like they are legit when really they are just getting rid of a dog they don't want for whatever reason and are trying to recoup money or make money. If you use craigslist, be sure to ask them to go with you to the animal shelter with the dog (before money changes hands) and have it scanned for chips. There are also those who will steal a dog from out of state and try to "rehome" it. and always meet in a public place (like a trusted vets office, who can also do the scanning).
Thus the $800 "rehoming fee" wow, did not see that one coming!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I found Pookie at our local shelter. I don't know for sure she is pure bred, but she looks like a boxer to me. And she definitley acts like a boxer!

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Boxer mixes certainly act like Boxers that,s how I came to be a Boxer lover! I'd have to see more pictures but that pooche face certainly looks like my Struddell!

So I'm gonna call...Boxer FTW!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
It's my understanding that shelters prefer to place their dogs with families who have had experience with Boxers. The shelters like a solid recommendation from a veterinarian who has treated past pets. They like a fenced-in yard, an older child, or another friendly dog in the family.

If you're approved to adopt a pet you are not guaranteed your pick. Families who have adopted before may take priority. They've seen too many dogs abandoned again from adoption situations.

·
Registered
212 Posts
It's my understanding that shelters prefer to place their dogs with families who have had experience with Boxers. The shelters like a solid recommendation from a veterinarian who has treated past pets. They like a fenced-in yard, an older child, or another friendly dog in the family.

If you're approved to adopt a pet you are not guaranteed your pick. Families who have adopted before may take priority. They've seen too many dogs abandoned again from adoption situations.
These are all generally true for some rescue centers, not all, save the safety precautions like a "vet reference", and some even require "personal references not related . . . ".

Many are realizing that there are just not enough "expert adopters" out there to keep extreme rigidity in effect, and other screening methods are needed to enable potentially good families who've never adopted before a chance.

Many are going to a screening method which enables "new blood" so to speak while screening the adopters carefully. i.e. the "in home visits" with boxers that have recently been adopted by the volunteers or that are in foster care, to watch how the families react. And often these boxers will have strong tendencies to exhibit behavior that may not be the most desirable, such as "counter surfing" (from another thread), overly pushy behaviors, excessively energetic, etc or excessively afraid, etc. They will then explain how these animals will need to be handled and cared for.

Rescue centers are also realizing that "denying" a family a dog that they have their heart set on isn't the greatest method of success either, while they don't guarantee, they do try to accommodate if possible, but they always are "up front" about the "no guarantees.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thats what I'm worried about. aside from my husband growing up with a dog, the only other pet we had together is a fish! i don't want to be denied because our lack of experience.

am i better off with a breeder or is it the same for both??

·
Registered
4,996 Posts

Hmm...what about signing up to be a Foster?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts