Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is a repost because the other got deleted somehow, if this isn't allowed please let me know. Also there may be a place for this but as I'm a new member I'm still grounded from other forums.

So here is the kind of strange situation surrounding the purchase of our second Boxer, Forest. We were looking for Boxer pups as our last Boxer passed about 5 months ago and we were ready to have the joy of a Boxer in the house again. We were however stunned to find that the same breed dog that we purchased in 2007 for $400, was now as high as $2200! Nevertheless, we persevered and eventually found exactly what we were looking for, a great looking, male, brindle Boxer pup, for $500. The website we found him on had him listed as "registered/registerable," which was no surprise as we also had to fill out and send in paperwork with our last Boxer.

So plans we made, and the daughter was informed. 3 days and a 3 hour drive later we arrived at the address given... to our surprise, this wasn't a kennel or a home, but a local pharmacy (Red flag #1). But, we thought to ourselves, hey whatever. So we met the guy, super nice, had his horse trailer with horses in tow, and by all standards seems respectable and business like, which put our minds at ease.

Then as we get to talking I ask for the paperwork. He gives me all of the dogs vet records, including tail docking, shots, dewormer, etc. But no registration paperwork. I ask about it and he says, "of yeah, when he's 6 months old just snap some pics and send it in with $50 to CKC and you're good to go" (red flag #2, and a doozie at that). This made me very uncomfortable, but at this point we've already driven 3 hours, at night, with our daughter, who already knew why we were there, and besides all that, we loved the dog, and he wasn't $2200.

Further putting our mind at ease was that the website that we found the breeder on had him as a 15 year veteran of the site, with a 5 star reputation, and multiple positive reviews. He was professional (other than the misleading "registerable" quip on the site), and he seems as if he really knew and cared about what he did.

Long story short we went ahead with the purchase. But now after a few weeks, I get to looking at this puppy and his nose does seem a little long, and his ears a bit big, kinda "beaglsih." Now, this could totally be my mind playing tricks on me because of the other red flags, but I'm starting to question his purity. But then again on the other hand, many people have identified him as a boxer pup without my suggestion, and he does exhibit most classic Boxer personality traits, so it could also be a weird growth stage. Nevertheless, I've attached some pics below to see what everyone here thinks.

*Disclaimer: His purity doesn't change anything about the way we feel about him, just trying to figure out if, and how badly I was taken.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
He looks like like a boxer puppy but honestly what are you expecting? You chose to buy a puppy based on price point, in a parking lot from a guy with a horse trailer who registers with a bogus registry that anyone can register anything with as long as it some what reassembles what you say You think it is. Even 10 yrs ago, AKC puppies from reputable breeders were still $1200-1500, backyard breeders/hobbiests would sell them for about $500 without any health testing.

The reason the cost has increased over the past 10 years is because everything else has also increased, Vet bills, food, cost of living......the rule of thumb is it doubles every 10 years.

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
Since you know nothing about his background, have never seen or met the parents and know nothing about the genetic health of your puppy......I'd be more proactive and look into placing pet insurance on him just as a precaution. Trupanion is a good one but there are several companies out there with different price points.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Most likely not a "Show"prospect??? But the classic Boxer "Egg Shaped" head and that looks like a "Boxer build" slim and atheistic but not over muscled. And he has the flew thing going on.

Muzzle structure looks a bit off but I'd say "Boxer" but I know as much or as little about judging structure as you most likely??

I'd be a crappy show judge ... "Everybody" is a winner kinda thing. Welcome Aboard. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Kaco Boxers, well man, I feel you, but not everyone can afford $2000 dogs. My car doesn't cost $2000, that doesn't mean I don't expect what is claimed by the seller. I wasn't suggesting that I made the best decision on earth, just wanted to know what people think about his appearances. Side note: my last Boxer was AKC, bought in 07' from a reputable breeder with a health guarantee for $400, I would assume prices are different based on location. Thanks for the heads up on the insurance, not a bad idea.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@chip18, thanks man. Yeah, I'm not too worried about him looking show perfect, but I can't stand that weird long nose, what the heck kinda dog is that look, haha. Either way, he's an awesome dog and has a fantastic personality, seems to be a bit less hard headed than my last one.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
LOL hey I was posting at the same time, you beat me! :)

And yeah I imagine this most be particularly "irk-sum." Most likely because ... $2200 but ... let them go for $500! What a deal!

At any rate ... what's done is done and yes "Health Insurance" is an excellent idea! I'd also recommend a heads up test for "DM" on account of my own "Been There Done That Thing." :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL hey I was posting at the same time, you beat me! :)

And yeah I imagine this most be particularly "irk-sum." Most likely because ... $2200 but ... let them go for $500! What a deal!

At any rate ... what's done is done and yes "Health Insurance" is an excellent idea! I'd also recommend a heads up test for "DM" on account of my own "Been There Done That Thing." :(
Hey, sorry if you thought that first reply was for you. I was addressing Kaco and didn't realize someone else had posted yet. I added the @_____ for clarification after the fact.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Oh no problem and ... if "Kaco" says it's a "Boxer" then it's a "Boxer!" Most likely the "circumstances of the purchase" got on her last nerve?? People do "stuff" despite there better "instincts" all the time. :)

·
Premium Member
4,573 Posts
Yup,and its called impulse buying :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey! He's an adorable puppy! I love the white nose and dark contrast, I bet he'll be super handsome.

I have a similar situation. I did not go through a registered breeder for either of my boxers because I just couldn't afford it. My first, Turbo, there is no question he's 100% boxer in personality and looks. But my second threw me off somewhat because she appeared to have a longer nose and smaller lips -- I saw both parents, the father was an unmistakable german boxer (really large jowels, muscular and acted like the energizer bunny). The mom had a longer snout, and I was told she was an American boxer. She looked to me like maybe she was mixed with a mastiff or something? but it was difficult to tell as she was very much on the heavy side due to the pregnancy. Either way, this puppy was adorable and so sweet, and we had already driven an hour and a half.

I found that as time has passed she has grown into her boxer features. Her jowels/lips have gotten bigger and she always stands in that classic boxer stance. She uses her arms and pounces on everything. In the end it really doesn't matter, because she's perfect!

As a baby:

More grown up:

I hope that you find the same sense of closure with your new baby!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I prefer a plain fawn Boxer, with very little white on the head. You recently lost a Boxer, and may be this one looks very different! This could be a problem since you're still grieving. It's good he's got a great personality. He may be spared some of the horrible health problems pure-bred Boxers have by being a mix. His head will grow larger, and the white muzzle won't stand out so much! I presume he's been to the vet for a puppy check-up, and was healthy.

He may be the best dog you've had. You didn't say, but I always wonder if there's a chance a puppy will be rehomed if the owner doesn't really like it. Will his appearance bother you so much that you may rehome him?

I believe there are some great Boxer Rescues who would take him, and get him into a permanent home. Since he's so young now, he'd have a good chance. This sounds like I'm judging you, but that is entirely wrong! Whether a dog is $2000, or $200 is not the issue here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I prefer a plain fawn Boxer, with very little white on the head. You recently lost a Boxer, and may be this one looks very different! This could be a problem since you're still grieving. It's good he's got a great personality. He may be spared some of the horrible health problems pure-bred Boxers have by being a mix. His head will grow larger, and the white muzzle won't stand out so much! I presume he's been to the vet for a puppy check-up, and was healthy.

He may be the best dog you've had. You didn't say, but I always wonder if there's a chance a puppy will be rehomed if the owner doesn't really like it. Will his appearance bother you so much that you may rehome him?

I believe there are some great Boxer Rescues who would take him, and get him into a permanent home. Since he's so young now, he'd have a good chance. This sounds like I'm judging you, but that is entirely wrong! Whether a dog is $2000, or $200 is not the issue here.
Oh, No way, we'd never re-home a dog unless there was some reason that we just couldn't take care of him, or give him the loving environment he needs. Our Last Boxer O'Malley was a beautiful German, fawn. And yeah, we are still grieving a bit... that why we specifically went with a totally different look. We just wanted to make sure there was no chance we, or more particularly our young daughter, would try to replace one with the other, emotionally speaking. I do love the way a fawn looks, but the more I look at the brindle colors in Forest the more I fall in love with his colors as well. I'm getting the impression from the other responses that he's likely a American/German Boxer mix and will likely grow into his features anyway. I think I was just spooked because, as you said, he doesn't look like O'Malley, and because of the strange circumstances surrounding his purchase. Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey! He's an adorable puppy! I love the white nose and dark contrast, I bet he'll be super handsome.

I have a similar situation. I did not go through a registered breeder for either of my boxers because I just couldn't afford it. My first, Turbo, there is no question he's 100% boxer in personality and looks. But my second threw me off somewhat because she appeared to have a longer nose and smaller lips -- I saw both parents, the father was an unmistakable german boxer (really large jowels, muscular and acted like the energizer bunny). The mom had a longer snout, and I was told she was an American boxer. She looked to me like maybe she was mixed with a mastiff or something? but it was difficult to tell as she was very much on the heavy side due to the pregnancy. Either way, this puppy was adorable and so sweet, and we had already driven an hour and a half.

I found that as time has passed she has grown into her boxer features. Her jowels/lips have gotten bigger and she always stands in that classic boxer stance. She uses her arms and pounces on everything. In the end it really doesn't matter, because she's perfect!

As a baby:

More grown up:

I hope that you find the same sense of closure with your new baby!
Thanks for this, I've actually had a ton of trouble finding pics of the same Boxer pup and grown. You've got a beautiful dog, and its crazy how much she resembles Forest, especially in the eyes! This post was particularly helpful, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I went through something similar. It had been a year since I'd lost my last Boxer, but I still expected the new puppy to fill some spot he left! The sadness was still there, but it was wonderful to have the noise, and slobber, again. It takes time. Cute puppy, who's found his way to your house!

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Yup,and its called impulse buying :)
Maybe kinda sorta "impulse buying???"

He did a lot of driving to get that puppy! Drove a lot of miles and admittedly ignored a lot of "Red Flags???" Boxer people by and large tend to do stuff ... kinda "nutty" like our dogs.

For me my only stimulation was a "White Boxer" lotta "heart break" behind that ... but that's another story. When I got there and it was not along drive ... all the boys were gone???

They still had "White Boxers" but they were all girls??? Not my plan but all's I knew was I was going home, that day and at that time with a "White Boxer!"

I left with "Struddell.:":

No regrets.

People ... "do stuff." :)

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Thanks for this, I've actually had a ton of trouble finding pics of the same Boxer pup and grown. You've got a beautiful dog, and its crazy how much she resembles Forest, especially in the eyes! This post was particularly helpful, I really appreciate it.
OK ... now had you shown the "more grown up" photo up first ... I to would have said "Boxer!" Just look at those "Crazy Ears!!" :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK ... now had you shown the "more grown up" photo up first ... I to would have said "Boxer!" Just look at those "Crazy Ears!!" :)
Oh, no the first pics I posted were recent. Those pics are just quoted from another user.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Richard, Your pup looks boxer to me, sometimes the ones that are bred by byb, aren't as classic looking as a boxer from a reputable breeder who health test the parents prior to breeding them. But you know what years ago we could get some nice healthy purebred puppies without spending a fortune, maybe you will get lucky. Over the years people have abused breeding dogs for $, they overbred them etc. and we ended up with a lot of health issues. Today if I could afford it, I would definitely go to a breeder, like Kaco who does it right and be willing to pay for it too. But like you said in your original post sometimes our pockets are not quite deep enough and we have to take a chance. In any case this puppy is very handsome and I am sure he will be loved and grow into a nice dog.

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
I hope I didn't come across to snotty. Sometimes I can be a bit direct, we tend to see it all here, lol.

Your pup might be PUREBRED but not bred to standard. So you might see a longer than average muzzle length.

Either way, congrats on the new family member :cheers:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts