Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently feeding Cato Purina Pro plan puppy food for large breed, and I have heard alot of good things about Royal Canin's MAXI puppy food for large breed. Should I switch? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would defiantly switch. Purina Large breed scored a 62 F on the dog food score chart. Royal Canin Lg breed wasn't listed but all other Royal Canin food got over 100 A+. Prices shouldn't matter as long as the ingredients are good. Good quality food will pay for itself in the long run since it is better for your dog and will fill them up longer therefore they will eat less because they're getting more nutrition from the food you feed them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi there! I'm not an expert, but I know you should avoid the following ingredients and this is only some of the most dangerous additives:

Glyceryl Monostearate
Phosphoric Acid
Propylene Glycol
BHA (avoid entirely -Cancer)
BHT (avoid entirely - Cancer)
Ethoxyquin (avoid entirely - Kidney breakdown)
Propyl Gallate (avoid entirely - Cancer)
Menadione Sodium Bisulfate

Also look for color additives and fillers.

It's definately worth checking out this website, I was shocked at how many commercial brands have these additives and they are not good for your dog and I did a lot of research - I'm kind of a health nut and thought my dog deserved the same.

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php ... ngredients

It's really worth checking out some of the premium brands available at specialty pet stores. Brands like Orijen, Prairie, Nutura, Evo, Riplee's Ranch etc... are all natural and have no harmful additives - most are safe for human consumption (though not recommended). If you can't find a store, I know Riplee's Ranch will mail the food anywhere in North America. Most importantly - don't be put off by the price of these brands, it's actually cheaper! My breeder was using Purina Pedigree, and when I switched Jake to Natura, he started eating less (amount and frequency). Because they aren't stuffed with fillers (corn, brewers rice, cereal food fines etc), your dog will actually eat far less. The benefits: a healthy dog, cost savings, their gas isn't so offensive, and stool is firm and smaller, their coats are shinier, they have more energy and they aren't exposed to harmful chemicals that are proven to be carciogenic. I would never judge anyone who uses grocery store brand dog food, (my previous German Shepard was on it for years) but it's worth researching and you may find it a beneficial move.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
For not being an expert you sure are knowledgeable and you've done your research!! I applaud you for that!!   :clap:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok I did some research and I think I will go with Orijen. One question though... The protein level is so high, is it suitable for puppies? Anyways I found a store by me that sells it. I think I'm going to change my Cat's food to Orijen also. Thank you Simoncgy, you have opened my eyes :)

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Purina ProPlan is not the worst, but deffinately not that great.  It has too much corn in it.  Corn is hard to digest and IMO, we're feeding dogs not cows!
So I would switch.

·
Registered
27 Posts
simoncgy\";p=\"65916 said:
Hi there! I'm not an expert, but I know you should avoid the following ingredients and this is only some of the most dangerous additives:

Glyceryl Monostearate
Phosphoric Acid
Propylene Glycol
BHA (avoid entirely -Cancer)
BHT (avoid entirely - Cancer)
Ethoxyquin (avoid entirely - Kidney breakdown)
Propyl Gallate (avoid entirely - Cancer)
Menadione Sodium Bisulfate

Also look for color additives and fillers.

It's definately worth checking out this website, I was shocked at how many commercial brands have these additives and they are not good for your dog and I did a lot of research - I'm kind of a health nut and thought my dog deserved the same.

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php ... ngredients

It's really worth checking out some of the premium brands available at specialty pet stores. Brands like Orijen, Prairie, Nutura, Evo, Riplee's Ranch etc... are all natural and have no harmful additives - most are safe for human consumption (though not recommended). If you can't find a store, I know Riplee's Ranch will mail the food anywhere in North America. Most importantly - don't be put off by the price of these brands, it's actually cheaper! My breeder was using Purina Pedigree, and when I switched Jake to Natura, he started eating less (amount and frequency). Because they aren't stuffed with fillers (corn, brewers rice, cereal food fines etc), your dog will actually eat far less. The benefits: a healthy dog, cost savings, their gas isn't so offensive, and stool is firm and smaller, their coats are shinier, they have more energy and they aren't exposed to harmful chemicals that are proven to be carciogenic. I would never judge anyone who uses grocery store brand dog food, (my previous German Shepard was on it for years) but it's worth researching and you may find it a beneficial move.

Good Luck!!
Orijen Large Breed Puppy Formula Dry Dog Food has a Protein (min.)  42. Lots people say this is to high for a puppy?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
42 is to much protein for a "large breed puppy"...and all corn is not bad......It is great to look for alternatives to food but my first thought was to ask if your dog is doing well on the current food or is that the reason you want to change because it does not do well on it?....not the name of it, the maker of it, or what someone else feels is a better food for your dog...... but does your dog eat well, have a good coat, have good weight and have normal firm stools that dont happen a hundred times a day....

If the answer is yes then why change?  It is hard to find a food that agree's with the boxer belly usually and when it comes to food I fall into the if it is not broke dont try and fix it stand...

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
if your dog is doing well on the food than personally i would not switch,what is good for one boxer is not always good for another. i know some of the boxers here can't stomach the premium food with no fillers, it can sometimes be too rich for their tummies to handle.i had sumya on royal canin large breed puppy until a few days ago, she did really well on it at first, but developed an allergy to it.i think one of the biggest challenges i have faced since i have had sumya is finding a food that she does well on. i hope you find something that works for you. :)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Duke is on Purina Pro Plan and he is doing great....It may not be the most popular brand but I've tried alot of food for Duke and his coat is better on Purina Pro Plan and he seems healthier, he doesn't seem as hungry as he was on other food.  It seems to actually fill him up.  I love it.  He loves the wet food too, we mix it into his dry food sometimes as a treat.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I've got my guys on Purina Pro Plan and they seem to love it... no problems w/ their poop...the only thing is and I'm wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem... they have an insane amount of eye boogies!!!! On one of their first vet check up's the vet said they had some conjunctivitis in their eyes and gave me a cream to put in their eyes ---- so maybe it didn't go away...or they've got it again?? I had some left over cream so I put it in their eyes for a week straight 2x a day and it got better but after I stopped it came back full force.  They go to a park by the house and there isn't ever anyone there so I let them run around and wear themselves out. They tackle each other and roll around a lot so maybe something got in their eyes?
Just wondering if it could be attributed to the food.  Oh and they have a ton of dandruff---

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I really don't have that problem...he has some eye boogies but not alot.  As far as their dandruff do you give them a bath often?  You might try adding an egg to their food like once a week or something.  We give Duke an egg once or twice a week, he loves it.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
From dogfoodanalysis.com

Purina pro plan: (received only 1 star)

Pros:   First ingredient is a named meat product
Cons: Inadequate meat content, byproducts and fat of unidentifiable origin, low quality grains and filler

The first ingredient is a named meat product. This is not a meal ingredient, but is inclusive of water content (about 80%). Once that is removed, as it must be to create a dehydrated product, the ingredient will weigh around 20% of its wet weight. Ingredients are listed in order of weight, and the dehydrated ingredient would probably be more accurately placed much further down the ingredient list. It is unlikely that this ingredient makes any significant contribution to the overall meat content of the food. The main meat ingredient in this food is in fact poultry by-product meal. It is impossible to ascertain the quality of by-products and these are usually products that are of such low quality as to be rejected for use in the human food chain, or else are those parts that have so little value that they cannot be used elsewhere in either the human or pet food industries. The AAFCO definition of poultry by-product meal is

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I agree with Sharon though if your dog is doing good on it there is no reason to switch.  I understand that there are better foods out there but Duke does good on Purina Pro Plan and its a good price.  I love my dogs more then anything but I am not going to pay more for a food just because it received 5 stars when Duke is doing just fine on a one star food.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
But they're not necessarily more expensive.
I pay $27-31 for a 40 lb bag of canidae every few months.

the 37lb bag of purina pro plan is listed at $42 at my local pet food shop.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I don't know, just because your dog seems to be ok on a food that has some pretty shady ingreidents wouldn't really give me much confidence.  I'd rather keep searching for a food that a) has quality ingredients that I believe in and b) they love to eat and c) agrees with their digestion system.

It's kinda like saying well I've been eating bacon and eggs every day for 20 years, and I'm fine!  It doesn't mean you couldn't be healthier or better off.

But that's just me.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
[quote="sharonL\";p=\"65951":1sv9lip4]42 is to much protein for a "large breed puppy"...and all corn is not bad......It is great to look for alternatives to food but my first thought was to ask if your dog is doing well on the current food or is that the reason you want to change because it does not do well on it?....not the name of it, the maker of it, or what someone else feels is a better food for your dog...... but does your dog eat well, have a good coat, have good weight and have normal firm stools that dont happen a hundred times a day....

If the answer is yes then why change?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
This is what I feed Duke...........

Natural Turkey and Barley Formula
Plus Essential Vitamins and Minerals

Give your puppy the natural ingredients that are important to you without sacrificing the high-quality protein, nutrition and flavor that are important to him. Pro Plan

1 - 20 of 39 Posts