Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now, duke is on blue buffalo Rocky Mountain puppy food. He is having some skin issues. While I do not think it is the food, bc he has been on this food for some time now, the vet recommended a change. She recommended Purina pro plan. Is this food decent or is it complete trash and she’s just getting a kickback? She also told me that grain free diets are a myth for dogs. And that grain is necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
For awhile Purina's food were pretty junky and some probably still are. The pro plan is rated about 3 out of 5 star on food advisor. There are also reports now that grain free isn't ideal and is linked to heart problems because of the lack of taurine. I feed a food that I feel is decent and that my dog does well on. I always recommend Victor dog foods. I have 4 dogs in total, all different breeds ages and they all get Victor. Don't seem to affect them at all on which formula I happen to pick up. I get it at my local feed store but chewed is also carrying it now. Some of my dogs get a teaspoon or nitro canned mixed into their meals and my st poodle get yep purina pro plan grain free can , one tablespoon mixed in each meal. It what his breeder did and I just continued, sometimes the others get a little they really love it, so its like a treat.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Right now, duke is on blue buffalo Rocky Mountain puppy food. He is having some skin issues. While I do not think it is the food, bc he has been on this food for some time now, the vet recommended a change. She recommended Purina pro plan. Is this food decent or is it complete trash and she’s just getting a kickback? She also told me that grain free diets are a myth for dogs. And that grain is necessary.

How old is Duke?

I had a weird experience with BB. Was on it as a puppy and was fine for months. Stools, coat, everything was great. He developed a minor skin issue and stopped eating BB altogether. I don't know if it was coincidence with the food, or if it was all the changing that pups do in that 1st year, but I had to switch to a new food, and he never had the issue again.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
He is about 10mos old

Interesting. I think with Zuke it was closer to the end of his 1st year, but pretty close.

I did switch to Acana, because he wouldn't eat the BB anymore, a tad pricey, but he loves it and I haven't had any issues.

I think the whole grain free thing came about because some companies were using a good percentage of it as a filler. I'm sure some dogs are allergic but I can't imagine every dog has to be on a grain free diet. I look at it like the gluten free craze with humans.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Interesting. I think with Zuke it was closer to the end of his 1st year, but pretty close.

I did switch to Acana, because he wouldn't eat the BB anymore, a tad pricey, but he loves it and I haven't had any issues.

I think the whole grain free thing came about because some companies were using a good percentage of it as a filler. I'm sure some dogs are allergic but I can't imagine every dog has to be on a grain free diet. I look at it like the gluten free craze with humans.
LOL ... yeah I kinda thought the "Grain Free" stuff was a marketing ploy myself???

I had always fed my guys Boxer/APBT Band Dawg and Boxers the regular Kirkland brand of Dog Food and they'd done fine on it. And then came Rocky my first long haired dog ... unbeknownst to me??? The fur, the fur but I digress.

At any rate along with him came serous trip to the vet and annual Kenalog shots?? For the first two years??? And the first year was really, really bad! His grey skin turned bright red and he was getting bald patches??? It would seem to happen mostly in the fall???

At that point in the second or maybe third year?? I switched to "Kirklands Nature's Domain" there "Grain Free Formula."

Now I can't say the change to Grain Free, solved all his itching problems but they did go way, way down and no more annual visits to the vet for itching issues! :)

Aww well, I knew I was on the right track with short haired dogs. But in all honesty, I had no idea GSD's were giant fur balls??? Live and learn and most likely now with my next Boxer ... I'll just stick with the Grain Free food. :)

·
Registered
5,085 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL ... yeah I kinda thought the "Grain Free" stuff was a marketing ploy myself???

I had always fed my guys Boxer/APBT Band Dawg and Boxers the regular Kirkland brand of Dog Food and they'd done fine on it. And then came Rocky my first long haired dog ... unbeknownst to me??? The fur, the fur but I digress.

At any rate along with him came serous trip to the vet and annual Kenalog shots?? For the first two years??? And the first year was really, really bad! His grey skin turned bright red and he was getting bald patches??? It would seem to happen mostly in the fall???

At that point in the second or maybe third year?? I switched to "Kirklands Nature's Domain" there "Grain Free Formula."

Now I can't say the change to Grain Free, solved all his itching problems but they did go way, way down and no more annual visits to the vet for itching issues! :)

Aww well, I knew I was on the right track with short haired dogs. But in all honesty, I had no idea GSD's were giant fur balls??? Live and learn and most likely now with my next Boxer ... I'll just stick with the Grain Free food. :)

Good advice. Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts