Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don`t have my pups yet but I know when their mature adults I`d like them to have the ''thick'' look if thats what you want to call it.My last two you could see their ribs but the vet said they only needed a few pounds on them.I know most you can see their ribs but I was wondering if anyone knew what to use to make them not look so skinny?Maybe any type of food that would work or a suppliment? I asked about dogbloom but no one had heard of it or used it.I talked to my cousin and she said her vets office said anything that is not in the form of food cant be healthy.

·
Registered
214 Posts
A boxer is normally a lean breed. I say lean, not thin. if it thin and underweight, that is way better than being overweight. You dont want your baby to be overweight. Ive heard a lot of ppl give their dogs chicken and white rice, but you would have to ask someone with more expierence.

·
Registered
302 Posts
We keep thinking Odin is starving to death... we feed him more then most referances seem to recomend, and he's still skin and bones to me (but honestly, I think he's got like 2% fat and a ton of muscle).

Odd, I think we're over-feeding him, yet he looks thin to me, and if you just saw him on the street, you'd probably think he's just-right for a Boxer.

Regardless... if you make a Boxer "thick", you're probably not doing something right... it's like the Boxer breed has hollow legs or something, cuz I don't know where all of Odin's food goes.  This breed is naturally "cut" in muscle and body fat... a true weight-lifter looking dog breed (at least Odin is... maybe it's his name?).

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I wouldnt try to make them thick!! Remember they grow up the first 18 months or so and then start to grow out! They are a lean breed and because they are so active its hard to keep weight on them! Roxy is 2 and you can still see her ribs! She weighs 60lbs now and is mostly muscle! The pic in my sig is when she was 18 months old. Its normal to be able to see/feel the ribs!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I was a little concerned about our Petey's weight when we went to the vet this past Saturday, he just seemed a bit thin. But the vet said he was "perfect". exact words, no joke. She warned about putting on too much weight too quick as it could possibly help lead to joint problems when he's a senior, also adding weight too quick puts a strain on the hips at a young age, and that could help promote hip dysplacia in his senior years. She said just let him get tall and lanky and then he'll fill out as he ages. Just my .02--Rich

·
Registered
159 Posts
I was probably thinking that he was thin because I'm so used to our 2 adult basset hounds and how, um, "heavy set", "big boned", "chunky", however you want to put it. Lazy, sleepy also come to mind. Hmmm, a real odd couple!!!--Rich

·
Registered
245 Posts
When I picked up Xena from the breeder, she was only 8 weeks old but he warned me then, "as she's growing you're going to think I sold you a greyhound but don't worry, shell fill out." And he was absolutely right. At one point she looked like a set or ribs on stilts with huge paws and big floppy ears...its the "awkward teen" stage. Now she's absolutely beautiful. I would say she didn't fill out completely til about 2 years old.

·
Registered
245 Posts
But I wouldn't recommend any special food and especially no supplements. Maybe just make sure they get enough exercise to build nice lean muscles.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Oh, what i wouldn't give to be able to eat like my dog and stay as slim! :D

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe Im using the wrong word.when I did have rock and the vet said that he could use a few extra pounds maybe 5 or so how do you put on a few extra?She said him at 80 pounds would by no means be good for him but she would have liked to see him at 60

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
IF, you really need to put weight on a dog, protein is what you could feed. I would stay away from supplements or anything on those lines...I had Buck & Tia kenneled for 2 weeks and Buck lost about 8 lbs and he didn't need to lose that...I fed him a lot of dark chicken meat and the skin...He weighed in at 69 lbs, but it was all muscle, not an ounce of fat on him..That was just about perfect for him.

Something to remember, extra weight puts a lot of stress on the bones and joints and it's a lot harder getting that weight off than it was putting it on! Same as with us...I would rather see a boxer a bit on the thin side than what I have with Samson..My poor baby is on a perpetual diet to keep his weight under control and as a dog ages it gets even more difficult...

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the info!I think I`ll let my babies do all the growing naturally and when their mature see what the vet says

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I honestly think you are jumping the gun here!  :p  I think you'd really have to wait until you get these pups and give them two years + to mature and then decide if they need extra weight. Like everyone else has said here, boxers are a lean breed and you would rather them be on the lean side and see a few ribs than for them to be even the slightest bit overweight.
You also don't want to let a puppy gain weight too fast. That can cause "pano" which is very painful on the puppy's joints. Weight was a real concern with me when I had Buster because he had hip dysplasia, knee dysplasia, and also arthritis. I had to monitor his weight constantly. He was a big boy at 74 lbs, but he was all muscle. Now Maddie, who turned two in March is 62 lbs. and I can still see her ribs. That's okay though because I know in a couple of years when she slows down she will put on a few extra pounds.
However, to answer your question, you can supplement a high quality diet with an occasional raw egg, sardines, salmon, or occasionally some cottage cheese. :?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I remember reading a post where someone recommended feeding 2-3 meals like normal and in between meals feeding a peanut butter sandwhich.  I believe they got this advice from their vet.  And when you think about it, all you're really doing is adding some carbs, protein and fat from a fairly healthy source (much healthier than say french fries or ice cream :p).

Also, I'd reiterate what Rich said above.  Do not do this with puppies (0-18 months).  Boxers grow fast and are going to look skinny when they are young.  The extra fat+protein will only make them grow faster, increasing their risk for hip dysplasia.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I have a question inregards to adding weight. We add rice to Savannahs food 3 times a week, and she seems to be losing weight not gaining. We used to be able to see the first two ribs, but more are starting to be seen. Keep in mind they are BARELY seen, and i have also noticed that on a few posts it says that a few ribs are fine (which i knew) just as long as the spine isnt showing. I am able to see a few knots of her spine, once again just barely it is not clearly defined in any way, and that worries me. She eats her food, but not much. When i add rice she eats it quicker. We have tried lots of different brands until we found one that she eats fairly well. We got her back in-mid march and she put some weght on, but now it doesnt look like it. Ideas?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yea be patient, we thought the same at first. We excercise elwood a lot and thought he was skinny. But at 1.5 years old he is starting to fill out nice. But you will always see a hint of rib in a healthy boxer so just keep feeding your baby healthy and give plenty of excercise and it will all come naturally.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Well Savannah is 2 yrs old-so she isnt really growing at all now. My little girl Reese-i dont worry about her, she is starting to go through the akward longlegged phase. Savannah though is past all that-which is why i do worry.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts