Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,
I would love to hear those that have researched and chosen a good quality dog food. Our boxer was given Purina Proplan Sport Active 26/16 formula (All life stages) at the breeder. When Asking our vets opinion, she said it is constant reviewed/tested dog food and said it is a great brand.

Would love to hear your thoughts on that brand and/or food recommendations.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Personally I think whatever works best for your dog is what you should use.

So many opinions of raw, home cooked, grain free, not grain free,.... etc.

I do a mix of raw and kibble and a pretty high crude protein percentage in the kibble. I know a lot of boxers don't do well on a high protein, or a mix of raw and kibble, but it seems to work great for us as we are extremely active and he probably needs the higher protein.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
As of late that food has gotten great reviews . I'm in the midst of going to a new food with my poodle, haven't decided yet . He was on Victor as was my late boxer. My poodle recently has been having some digestive issues. Haven't quite figured out why yet. Presently I am cooking boiled lean beef/rice and have introduced Stella & Chewy's dehydrated patties. After see ing how many he would need , they will be just a supplement to his diet. I was happy with Victor and may go back but with smaller bags as I think what I had been getting is eating too long. I have tried Purina pro int he past as a supplement and it went well too.

·
Registered
657 Posts
i use Royal Canin Sensitive digestion for my guys it has the heart health vitamins boxers need included as well as Taurine and added fiber for good stools. My Vets recommend Pro Plan quite often both of the ones I see use Pro Plan for their own dogs but both are good with Royal Canin products as well so I agree with Matt if your dog is doing good no need to change.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
i use Royal Canin Sensitive digestion for my guys it has the heart health vitamins boxers need included as well as Taurine and added fiber for good stools. My Vets recommend Pro Plan quite often both of the ones I see use Pro Plan for their own dogs but both are good with Royal Canin products as well so I agree with Matt if your dog is doing good no need to change.

Yup. I had a couple people I know and they tried to switch to what I feed, don't know why, their dogs were doing fine, and the results were less than stellar. lol.

I think the biggest thing for boxers is taurine, like you mentioned. Whether its added to kibble, or do it yourself with sardines, eggs, organ meats, etc. its really important for boxers since they are already at a disadvantage being genetically prone to heart issues.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I fed both Boxers Fromm, reduced activity, because of their age, and wanting to have more of a moderate fat percentage. One would regurgitate a big pile of undigested kibble every couple months for no reason. I switched them to PPP, and it worked out really well. There was no more regurgitating, maybe because it was just easier to digest in general.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good morning,
I would love to hear those that have researched and chosen a good quality dog food. Our boxer was given Purina Proplan Sport Active 26/16 formula (All life stages) at the breeder. When Asking our vets opinion, she said it is constant reviewed/tested dog food and said it is a great brand.

Would love to hear your thoughts on that brand and/or food recommendations.
My breeder feeds her dogs with Fromm large puppy formula. I ordered it from the website. Picking up my baby boy this Friday.
I had a really bad experiences with multiple other brands with my other boxers, so staying hopeful for this one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts