Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keegan seems to have his last rib stick out a bit especially on one side.  My sister thought they call it a floating rib but wondered if there is a problem if it sticks out.  Kiah doesn't seem to have anything like that.  We are going to the vet on Monday so I will ask him about it but in the mean time thought some of you may have some ideas.  Sharon???

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can see his just a bit on one side when he is standing.  Is it a male thing?

·
Registered
693 Posts
When Donner was a pup he had wierd looking ribs also but grew out of them. My nephews Boxer Jack had some funky ribs also. Blitzens look  normal. Must be a boy thing. :D

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
It is called a floating rib and sometimes reffered to as the 13th rib.  It is perfectly normal and is seen in both male and female dogs....This is called "floating" because the last rib does not attached to the sternum or breastbone.  It is that was in all breeds, just the anatomy of the dog!  Normally when they fill out you wont see it as much!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Chance had that. With being a first time boxer owner and knowing nothing about the little things they do(beaning, woo woo) and then after finding out he had a floating rib as well, we thought we got a retarded, deformed boxer. We had no idea that beaning and woo woos were normal...lol You cant even see his floating rib now

1 - 7 of 7 Posts