Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had two boxers now and both of them have had a major addiction to playing with my hands.  They have always loved going for my hands, although they don't bite or get dangerous, they tend to mouth through their jowls.  I am a bit curious to know if this hand fetish is a common boxer trait or is it something more to do with the way I have played with them as puppies.  BTW they only do this with me and I am the only one that is allowed any sort of rough play with them.  Zara loves to get on her hind feet and box me, but I think that might be a way they derived their boxer name.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Angel loves to "gum" our hands...None of my others did, once they passed the puppy stage after about 6 mos...The "gumming" I allow, but once she tries to nip, she gets told "uh uh"....Part of it is, I think that is one part they can reach easily when you are walking, hence the nipping of puppies. It could very well to do with how you have played with them as well..Samson doesn't play, so that is something he has never done, My other 2 I taught not to play rough with Mommy. If you are the one in control during your play sessions, I don't see any problem with it, and they know to back off when you tell them.... :)

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Kane does the "mouthing/gumming" thing too, but he'll grab at anything - elbow, feet, knees, but he doesn't bite.  However, I agree with Samsonsmom that you can't allow it to go past gumming you and shouldn't let them play rough because the dog may get excited and their teeth are sharp which I found out the hard way when playing with Kane.  I scraped my arm against his tooth (my own fault) and got a nasty cut so I just decided to stop rough housing with him.

·
Registered
126 Posts
glaicer does the same thing and it dont hurt and if she does get alittle to rough i say easy and she does go easy after that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like I said she is only allowed rough play with me and she never bites.  I only need to command "settle" and she is 100% settled.  She never shows any real aggression and she is constantly reinforced with "gentle kids" commands with Kids.  If she knows how to distinguish between the two and is careful with how she plays then I think it is ok to have a bit of rough and tumble.  I think a lot depends on the nature of the dog and who knows maybe the sex (I haven't had a male boxer, so I'm not sure).

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yep Zeus will "gum" me as well and never bit. Dante on the other hand will bite but not nothing harmful just nibble.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ok...my boyfriend thinks our two do to him.  They do NOT to me!  WHY the difference, I don't know??  My boxers tend to kiss me more on the face and love to look me in the eyes!  Go figure!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Layla is my one that does that. Chance did when we first got him but we got him under control so now we have to teach Layla the same because she is getting a little outta hand with it.....no pun intended   lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts