Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well Lewis and I are getting ready for a lengthy road trip.
the GF took a job in Texas, Lewis and I have decided we're going too.

what am I expected at the border?
I am in the dark other than I know it will be a hassle, I'm coming from Canada if that will help clarify some issues?

thanks in advance.

Will and Lewis..

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
i can see if i can find out anything that maybe needed since i live here in texas. The only thing i can honestly think of is a health certificate and proof of rabies. I dont know if anything else is required.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that would be great.. thank you..
I kinda thought that, all his shots upto date and a clean bill of health.
what about holding him at the border? Detaining him?
any of those issue?

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Well I don't know, but I can find out.
Are you sure you want to move to Texas?  It's hot and humid down here! :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL tell that to princess. Im just along for the ride LOL
Going to Austin, she took a job at the hospital,
I would rather stay in Canada but she wants to travel and experience places, so its a good opportunity for both of us

·
Registered
165 Posts
Congrats on the move, what a fun adventure.
I would suggest calling your local vet as well as a vet here in the states.  You may also want to check out the gov. websites for Canada/US dealing with border crossing/passports.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I am really no help on coming from Canada, but I know that you will need a health certificate and proof of vaccinations as southerngirls said.  Your vet will/should be able to provide you with both.  The health certificate should be given no more then 10 days before travel. Or at least that is how it is done here.  

I lived and went to school/worked in Texas and I dont know of any regulation they have for detaining animals once they arrive.  So I would check with the canada border on that one.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I know nothing about crossing borders and what is required but wanted to wish you a safe trip  :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Don't know much about crossing the border but you are going to love Texas.  I've lived in many places but the 12 years I spent in Texas were the best.  Austin is a great place to live.  Good luck to you and GF on the new job and the move.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Here's the US Customs booklet on bringing pets into the country:
Pets and Wildlife - Licensing and Health Requirements

The requirements for dogs is on page 5 of the document (page 9 of the .pdf).  Basically, the dog must appear to be in good health (a certificate is not required, though wouldn't be a bad thing to have) and must have received a rabies vaccination at least 30 days prior to entry into the US.

I've crossed the border at Windsor both ways with a dog (for a dog show) and they never looked at the dog, nor asked about her vaccination status, but you never know when you'll get a stickler for the rules. ;)  It might be different going back and forth for a dog show, as opposed to moving, as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thank you all very much for the thoughtful comments, and am looking forward to my new adventure states side.

and I'm glad its not going to be a very big hassle to get mister cuddlepants across the border, I was worried about a quarenteen where he'd say for a week or something, he would NOT like that at all..

thanks again
Will and Lewis.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
You will have to keep us updated on the trip, that should be interesting to say the least. :) .Take lots of breaks, give Lewis and yourself time to stretch and you may want to take a big jug of your water for him, sometimes dogs have issues with new water...Oh, Pics please of the trip!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts