Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to a guy today that said I should ask for a certain thing(cant remember the name right now) to give to my pup for a week or 2 prior to having his ears cropped.He said it will build cartlidge up in the ears.Has anyone else heard of this?I have the name at work and will list it tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
the only thing i could think of is messaging them, but i think that is what you are supposed to do after the surgery. I guess that isnt too much help :) there are a few members here who have had their dogs ears cropped that most likely could help. Most of us have the natural floppy ears for our boxers....not that cropping is bad...not saying that!! :)

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Yes I have heard of it.  It is made by a company called Vet A Mix.  It is most common to the tablets called Pet-Cal which more people are probably familiar with.  

Here is my opinion on this (without knowing how old your dog is and guessing it is still a pup since you are getting the ears done).

Feeding additional calcium and/or providing calcium supplements will only increase the daily calcium intake, since your dog food should already contain calcium. This would make calcium intake above the levels shown to increase the risk for developmental bone disease issues later in life.  Because virtually all dog foods contain more calcium than is needed to meet the requirement, the use of a calcium supplement certainly is unnecessary. Calcium supplements are generally given to older dogs to aid in bone loss, to dogs with bad teeth to help correct tooth and gum problems, to dogs after they have a broken bone or fracture. They seldom are needed in what is considered a large breed rapid growing puppy.

I am not sure if the person who suggested it to you was your vet.  If it was then I guess they have experience with it that I have not seen.  I stopped doing ears about a year ago and maybe something new has come out. If it was not your vet then I would give the vet who will be doing the ears a call and ask them if they suggest it.  Adding ear growth (forming of cartilage) also causes more blood flow to the ear and it is hard doing an ear trim when they are bleeding more then normal.  

My personal opinion is that you dont need it.  A great ear crop will stand!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You Sharon.That is the info I was looking for.I never done this with my Great Dane and never had any problems.I thought that maybe Boxers were different.It was not my vet that recommended it.I was going to ask my vet when I take Jake for his consultation,but I wanted to ask around here first.Thank You again for your response.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
also there is a really good post about ear cropping on here,. do a search and look for Odin's ear crop....There is a ton of good info in there..Optimum time for a crop by the way is before about 12 wks if I remember correctly...

·
Registered
180 Posts
I just had Hondo's ears done. He's my third boxer I've had done and found that massaging the ears works the best. Once the stiches are out
rub his ears from the base to the tips but not hard. You will notice that the tips get kinda cold to the touch and once the blood starts to get to the tips you will notice a big difference.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
We were instructed by our vet to give PetCal... I think is the name of it... they gave us the bottle... BUT it was AFTER we had his ears cropped! We also (after the stitches came out) massaged his ears like beanie said. Though we used a VERY SMALL amount of baby oil. We also didn't tape the ears till 8 to 10 days AFTER the stitches had been taken out... then we taped them for 5 days and never had to do it again... YAY!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts