Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 8mo puppy Willow seems to be slowing down a bit. Before it would take her until bedtime (about 10pm) to calm down and sleep, she was go-go-go literally all day (well from the time I got home from work to the time we went to bed, with a walk and a bit of play in the middle of the day).

For the past 2 weeks-ish she's been getting really tired around 8-8:30. She crawls up on the couch, snuggles with a pillow and will sleep until 10pm when she goes into her crate for the night. There's only been a couple nights in the past couple weeks where she's been up past 8:30pm. I'll add that she still gets walked in the middle of the day and she has been on longer walks after work with me lately because the weather has been warmer. Could this be the reason for the increase in sleep?
Her stool has also been softer (not diahrrea, just soft).

I changed her food about a month ago from Royal Canin Boxer to Acana Puppy and she absolutely LOVES it. She doesn't get human food, besides the odd carrot and some peanut butter. I also give her coconut oil before her dinner (which I started around the same time I switched her food).

Any thoughts? I thought Boxers don't slow down until like 2yrs!

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She's started perking up a bit more the last couple nights. It's hard to tell because I'm with her so much every day, but I think she may have went through a growth spurt, she seems taller/lankier to me, so could be the reason for the extra sleep too!

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Our guy has days he has lots of energy and others where he likes to just lie around. He is kinda like us, lol. They are so human like at times we have to remind ourselves they are till dogs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My Sára (10months) has spurts of energy as well. She gets up with dad at 5:30 AM and bed by 8:30PM. We have to wake her up to go potty for the night. Lots of growing going on the first year. It's normal. Off and on burst of energy. Remember a boxer is really not fully grown until 2 years old. What amount of food are you feeding? We feed ours 3X's a day. Also, puppies can get overly excited if too much is going on and it will mess with their sleeping and play habits.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She gets fed 2x's a day, bit more than a cup each time. She is absolutely exhausted today, she was up until 3am because we had a party last night. Sleepy day for her today!
Yes her energy seems to go in spurts.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Well getting away from the Royal Caine was a good idea, in general it's only useful if a pet has a "specific" medical condition. Other than that it's kinda sorta crap.

But "Boxers" are kinda sorta crash and burn guys. They run and spin and bounce and punch. And then they crash and rest and get up and ... it's let's do it again!

Now if she is "always" tired then it would be wise to see a vet. But daily crash and burns ... is pretty normal. :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well getting away from the Royal Caine was a good idea, in general it's only useful if a pet has a "specific" medical condition. Other than that it's kinda sorta crap.

But "Boxers" are kinda sorta crash and burn guys. They run and spin and bounce and punch. And then they crash and rest and get up and ... it's let's do it again!

Now if she is "always" tired then it would be wise to see a vet. But daily crash and burns ... is pretty normal.
She definitely still has energy during the day and gets her bursts of running around crazily. Today she's been sleeping all day but that's an exception. We had people over last night and she could NOT lay down with everyone here, she kept wandering around constantly to see what everyone was doing. That boxer curiosity I tell ya...!

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
She definitely still has energy during the day and gets her bursts of running around crazily. Today she's been sleeping all day but that's an exception. We had people over last night and she could NOT lay down with everyone here, she kept wandering around constantly to see what everyone was doing. That boxer curiosity I tell ya...!
LOL ... that made me laugh!! Just got done posting about that! If you want to wake a "Boxer up" invite people over. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts