Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started giving Booker some extra's during meal times, such as cottage cheese, yogurt, and egg. I don't feed it all to him at one time, but those are the things I have tried so far and he really likes them. It's not that he needs the extra, but I thought he would like a nice treat. My question is how much of this can I feed him and how often?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TracySmith said:
Another nice little treat mixed in their food is parmesan cheese. Coby loves it.
I used to feed parmesan in his food before I switch foods. Now he eats his food plain and loves it. I actually been feeding the extra's separately in a different dish. I just want to be sure I don't feed him to much or often of the "extra's."

·
Registered
293 Posts
I feed mine extras everyday, the morning feeding is just plain kibble, but at night I always add something with their kibble, sometimes it left overs from the night before or cottage cheese, canned food, tuna, sardines, they love macaroni. I give them about two large tablespoons which is probably about 1/4 cup, mixed in with the kibble and I reduce the kibble a little bit, so they're not really getting a lot of extra food it's just to give them variety and it makes it real easy if you need to give medication or vitamins.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I don't feed extra's everyday but feed raw eggs including shell once a week (heard it is not good everyday), add sardines, tripe and a few other things. They always get bites of veggies if I am cutting them up for something, they absolutely love frozen peas.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Mine get something different every day, but breakfast is always yogurt :) I buy carrots & green beans, steam them and put some in small baggies, I add one in occasionally, I also cook extra chicken, same thing, wrap some up and put in freezer for extras, same with ground beef..I also have added: banana, apple, sardines, mackeral, eggs(both scrambled & raw), canned food, cheese, the sky is the limit..There's a great Sticky topic here in the food section about great add-ins that are wholesome, so use that as a guide

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
samsonsaunt said:
^^^ Her dogs eat better than I do, haha!!
That's what my neighbors always say to me! :lol: I sometimes pressure cook meat to use as add-ins (usually in winter when I'm not as busy and I make a huge batch and freeze it). I used to homecook every meal but that was too time consuming and with two boxers it got a bit expensive. I add in meat (Wellness canned or my own) every day. Usually a heaping Tb. spoon in a.m. and one in p.m., or once a week a raw egg mixed in. Other add-ins I use are low-fat cottage cheese, shreeded cheese, cooked sweet potato, or pasta. I try not to do much pasta because it seems to cause Buster to gain weight (me too but I eat it anyway!) :razz:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Our pup Jujubes normally just has her First Mate Ocean Kibbles mixed with Go! Fresh water trout wet, but at dinner I'll add two small very chopped carrots and maybe some mashed yam.
Tonight I'm thinking of adding just a small spoonful of the pasta we're having and maybe a dash of parmesan cheese.

Gosh, reading about all this food is making me hungry !

·
Registered
132 Posts
Eggs with shell a max of twice a week, cottage cheese I wouldn’t give as its dairy (doesn’t suit a lot of dogs). Fish can be given daily, just make sure if canned not in brine (too much salt) Carrots great as a chew snack but wont be digested as dogs cant break down the cellose.

One thing though if feeding along side kibble, be careful as a wide verity can make them fussy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank goodness, I'm not the only one, Boston will not eat his food (Blue Buffalo, Fish and Sweet Potato) plain, he will literally starve himself. He was the same way on Eukanuba Boxer formula. I add carrots, peas, hard boiled egg, he loves cooked turkey hot dogs and tuna.
His vet suggested green beans, I found them behind my couch, my sister suggested chicken hot dogs, his gas smelled so bad, I swear it came out green. Needles to say I stopped both of those.:puke:
My husband thinks Boss should eat his food plain, but I can't stand to see my baby hungry, and he will literally go for days without eating.
I have discovered at my local dollar store they sell a good brand of turkey dogs, I buy 8-10 packs at a time and I buy tuna and frozen veggies in huge quantities when they are on sale.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts