Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been about a week since I got Ares, and I gotta say I learn something new and am intrigued by his behavior every single day.  Remember, I had a great dane for 9 years, a german shephard when i was younger, and two chihuahuas in the family for about 12...I gotta say, Ares is the best dog I've ever been around in my life.

It's like he's known me for years.  I bring him out back and don't even put him on his lead anymore.  He knows right where my property ends.  He'll kind of go to it, look at me, then just turn around.  I even threw his toy past the line of rocks once, and he wouldn't go over until I went.

He is so respectful but yet so playful and great to have around.  Anyway, just thought I'd share that.  Oh yeah, onto my question...

I put his food out today, like normal, and he hasn't eaten it.  I noticed his poo was kind of 'soggy' when he went today...and he was out playing in the 97 degree sun for about 15 minutes...then when the sun went down, we went out for some more play.  Of course, I let him out like normal to pee and do his business, but it was TOO hot to play anymore than we did.

Now his previous owners left food out 24/7 and the first and second night, he ate at around 2AM...I could hear him over there muching.  But since then, I'll put out some in the morning (2 cups), which he won't touch, then add 2 more cups at around 6, which he usually eats by 7 or 8.

--

He has shown no symptoms and his behavior is the same as it's always been...just really happy and playful, but relaxed when he needs to be.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Actually, I was just petting him and his stomach is making some weird noises.  Actually really loud, like if they came from me, I'd be a little afraid.  We stopped outside, and he was only interested in trying to eat some grass.

I'm a little worried...because I know they're prone to stuff happening with their stomach.

(oh yeah, he's also doing a lot of 'chewing' like on his tongue and making that slopping noise now).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK Well, I found an emergency pet hospital like 5 minutes away...and called to make sure they were open.

They said that if his stomach starts to seem bloated, that I should bring him in.

--

I was trying to pet him and he kept nudging my hand toward his back, so I rubbed his side...then tried to rub his stomach softly in case that would make him feel better, and it almost seemed like that hurt him.

He's asleep now, but if he seems like he's in pain or anything, I'm definitely going to put him in my truck and take him to the vet.  I've only had him for a week now, and normally he's so happy...and seems so sad right now all of a sudden.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I sure hope it isn't anything serious, but I am glad you are headed to the doctor.  Please let us know what you find out.  You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sorry, I didn't say I was heading to the vet.  If he seems to be doing much worse, I'm heading there.  He is just sleeping now, and his stomach has been quiet.

She said on the phone that if it seemed like he was in bad pain or his stomach was 'bloated' to come down.

But thanks for the prayers, I know I've only had the little guy for a week, but I love him so much.  I'll keep you all posted...

He has a play date at the park tomorrow morning with another boxer owner I found...so I just hope he is well in the morning and I'll be keeping my eye on him closely tonight.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
It doesn't sound like bloat. Sometimes Maddie's stomach will make noises you can hear at the neighbors house!  8O  She will also go a day without food occasionally. Sounds like he just has an upset tummy. Keep an eye on him, but I think he will be feeling back to his old self in no time!  :D

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
He could have eaten something that disagreed with him.  There was one morning that Kiah ate a bunch of grass and she does the licking when she is getting ready to throw up.  She threw up a couple of times and then she was fine.  Didn't see anything in the throw up (gross I know) but bile.  

The one thing I have heard is to make sure they are pooing normally or they could have an obstruction in there tummy from eating something.  On animal planet ER Vets one dog had eaten a sock and one they removed a huge glue ball.  He will probably be fine and it is just an upset tummy.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
deapee...I was curious with having the little one for a week if you have been to the vet with him for a check up yet?

In general dogs will eat grass to calm the stomach and also I think they know it makes them throw up.  Sometimes they will do this if they have worms. Actually everything you mentioned can be caused from worms.  Roundworms and a combo of roundworms and hookworms can cause loose stool, darker colored stool (tar looking), bloated stomach, pale gums, not eating well, grumbles in the stomach, and licking at the mouth.

If you have not had him checked that may be a good place to start, even if the prior owner/breeder said they wormed him. Good Luck!

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Try giving him a tablespoon of plain yogurt.  When Henry won't eat or seems to have an upset tummy, he'll eat a little yogurt.  It seems to help them feel better.
Maybe he's suddenly home sick?  I don't know what his situation was before.
Good luck with the little guy. :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the support.

He seemed fine last night before I went to bed...and this morning, he was back to his normal self.  He still hasn't eaten, but he normally won't eat until 6pm or so.

Yeah, I took him to the vet a couple days after I got him.  The temporary owners were a wife and husband, and her father was a vet, so he had everything done through him.  I took everything to the vet, had him checked over and all was good.  

He may have ate a little mud yesterday morning, when he was running at the park...he does that every day.  He'll run after his toy, dive-bomb some mud on the way, stand up with a face full of dirt, then cough a time or two, and he's back to his normal self.

He's drinking plenty of water now and seems to be ok, although he hasn't taken a #2 yet...but I figure he hasn't eaten, so that may be normal...I'm going to pay close attention to him today...I only have to leave him alone for about 30 minutes today to visit a customer's house, so that will be the only time he's unsupervised.

He had a play date this morning with another boxer...I'll make a post about that...dont want to mix up the topics.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh well, all seems good now.  He played a few times today, although I only took him in the back yard to throw his toy because it's hot out again today.

I probably just over-reacted, he was probably just tired and exhausted and maybe some gas or a tummy ache.  It's my worst fear to have to carry him out to my truck, lifeless and drive to the vet.  That's what my brother had to do with his great dane who was 9.  I know that sucked for him so bad.  So I was just being extra cautious I guess.

--

He drank a ton of water today and the short bursts seem to keep him happy all day, then back in the AC.

But again, thanks for all the support.  I think I jump-started his appetite today with a milk-bone...10 minutes later, he went to eat.

Oh, and I always give him a break before and after eating, usually 30-45 minutes or so for him to digest...so I know it wasn't anything like that.

At least I found a 24/7 vet within a few minutes of my house should the need ever arise.  I should have looked for that earlier because I was kind of panicking trying to find it last night.  My suggestion is that everyone find their nearest 24 hour pet hospital and write it down and their telephone number.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts