Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so most of you know by now that i'm a worry wart when it comes to my dog, but I was wondering if Gaby could cause damage to herself by jumping of the bed on to my cement floor while playing.....she likes to throw her ball off the bed and jump down to get it...she does this several times a day, and I know that the growth plates are not closed yet....should I limit this activity?....the bed is 23 inched off the ground if this helps

G

·
0 Posts
Yesterday, I let Bo off of bed rest...and both dogs were jumping up and down up and down.  They jump straight up in the air and land on their back legs.  My sister was over and said to me
"no wonder boxers have hip problems, that CAN'T be good for them!"  I had never really thought of that before...but they are the ones that are doing it, it's not forced...but I wonder...could this effect their hips and growth plates?  Thought I'd add my question to this same thread, lol

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jamie, you brought up a great point here, they are doing it on their own and I could understand if it was forced that it could be damaging to them but since they are doing it during normal play I wonder if it's bad for them...

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Excessive jumping can be bad for them, so IMO I would watch out.  Even in agility there are no jumps really until after 18 months.   Just because that is when the growth plates are normally closed.   However everyday jumping and what not, I would say is fine - like how are you going to stop a boxer from jumping.  Over excessive jumping at big heights IMO could cause stress on the joint and possible injury so I would monitor it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts