Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just curious, does red skin mean that the pup has mange? I thought Maverick had an allergy and cut out all the extras and then started to switch him to canidae, all the red areas such as his ears went back to normal but the white patch under his lip is  very red still for more than a week now. he isnt scratching or losing any hair and no scabbing or anything, his skin is just red. Guess im just looking for the variations that could be mange. I looked it up on the internet but it was giving extreme cases where the dog is in so much pain and the skin is scabbed or pus.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Generally mange comes with hair loss....You will see spots of hair missing in mild cases and no redness in the skin.....It sounds like what you are describing is a skin allergy of some sort.....And for boxers to have red skin on the chin is pretty common also....If you feed from plastic bowls I would change to steel that is a common thing to cause redness....

There can be small spots that you pass off as a scratch and I have seen hair loss as small as a fingernail size, so it is not always major hair loss and scratching like crazy....You can always have him checked the next time you go in if it has not cleared up, but again to me it does not sound like mange at all.....

Since it is mostly on the chin you can use some hydrocortisone cream on it....and see if that helps clear that space he may have a little fungal on his chin from it staying most or wet from chewing or eating/drinking....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts