Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I want to transition the new puppy I am getting from his current food on to a better grade kibble. After searching the city I finally found a store that sells Merrick, Canidae, Royal Canin etc. I was SOOOO pleased because I thought I was going to have to stay with Iams or something. Anyway, this food is VERY expensive in comparison to what people are paying i think. For the large 40lb bag it ranges from 60-70$. I was told this will probably last a month so I am not too concerned. I was just wondering, since i have chosen to feed Canidae all life stages (if he likes the samples) I wanted to get wet food as well incase he wont eat etc but they dont sell canidae canned food. They do however sell Merrick food but not the puppy brand. Is it still ok to mix the Merrick adult food with the Canidae kibble if it is a 12 week old puppy? Sorry this was a little long just flustered trying to figure it all out.

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I wouldn't go switching him to everything all at once. I would first start out with gradually switching him from his current food with Canidae. Then after he is on it awhile and you see he is doing okay on it maybe add a little bit of the Merrick canned. If you try to mix everything at once there's a good chance it would be way too much on his tummy and if ended up with loose stools or vomiting you wouldn't know if the Canidae or Merrick caused it.
Another thing you can do to encourage him with the new food is to soak the kibble in a bit of water to soften it up some. I also use to heat it up a bit in the microwave when Chloe was a puppy.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I agree with what CholeBelles Mommy just said, but I might add that I have both of mine on Canidae dry and I add the canned Merrick.  I think Kane can eat anything, but Sophie's a pill.  I've had no diarreah or loose stools with the combo, but Sophie's not interested in the Canidae at all.  I tried a sample of Timberwolf's Lamb & Apple yesterday and today with Soph and she is eating that much better.  I think as long as you add your food slowly and let them adjust, you'll be fine.  I'd just do it one at a time so you know what agrees with them and what doesn't.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how do i transition. is there a link for that on the forum? do i start with 2 w parts of his old food and one part of the canidae? ive heard many different things from different people and im just confused. Also, the pet store lady told me about this wholistic petfood powder that aids in the transition process. has anyone heard of it or tried it?

Thanks for all the help. My boyfriend and I really appreciate it and were sure the puppy will also. He comes home Tomorrow evening!!!!

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Donya is it Global pet foods that you went to? What we do for Sadie is 1st week of transition- 1 tbsp new (merrick puppy plate), two tbsp old (kibble), 1tbsp canned merrick and 1tbsp canned pumpkin. (to keep her stool normal as she had loose stool a few weeks ago) This week (2nd week) we have her on 2tbsp new, 2 tbsp of old and same for wet and pumpkin we are adding more because she is getting more active. Her stomach seems fine and she has a sensitive one. So as long as your pups stool doesn't start to get loose you are on the right track. Each pup is different so you kind of have to try it out and see what works best for you. Next week we will switch to only 1tbsp of old, then the fourth week all new food.

Hope that made sense  :)  I'm kinda rambling lol

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
As far as the food switch, I would just start off with the dry for now...
1st week-3/4 old food 1/4 new
2nd week-50/50
3rd week-1/4 old 3/4 new

Watch the stools, if they seem too runny, you may have to do the transition slower...Some dogs don't have an issue with food changes, some do, so you will have to learn how your pup will do....

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no sadiesmomma it wasnt pet global i checked it out and i think it is an east coast pet food store. Funny enough a very well known pet store out here, Pet Value, has all the natural foods. I think in order to compete with petsmart they decided to corner the market on high end food and accessories. It's a lot more expensive as far as food prices are concerned. as i said 60-70$ for the 35-40lb bag but I will pay until I find a place that can order it or stock it cheaper.  We had a great time puppy shopping for a few last things today and were so excited. Im going to charge my camera batteries to take pics once he is home.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
[quote="Donya";p="31916"  We had a great time puppy shopping for a few last things today and were so excited. Im going to charge my camera batteries to take pics once he is home.[/quote]

Isn't it so much fun!! "charge my camera batteries to take pics once he is home." That is a GREAT idea, you will be so camera happy!  :lol: Have fun and good luck with your pup today! You must be so excited, make sure you post some pics of his first day home!!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
When you first get your pup I would feed him whatever the breeder was feeding for a couple of weeks at least. It may be too stressfull for the puppy to come home to a new environment and food. I would give him time to adjust to his new surroundings and family first, and then when he is adjusted and comfortable in his new home, then I would gradually make a food switch.  :wink:

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks tootsie I think that is a good idea. I was thinking about that also and bought the breeder food which isnt that good but for a little while it will do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts