Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we just got orphaned pup..only 4 days old and noticed that his ears looked like they were shut is this normal???

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I don't know... I've seen pics I think... if I'm remembering correctly. They would be SOOO small they might look "shut". Did you do a google search? I found this pic... does it look like this?

That is considered normal...

hope I was of some help... maybe someone else can answer better.

·
Registered
202 Posts
You might get some help if you private message sharonL (sorry sharon if this angers you) or post this topic on the health forum. Im sorry i'm a new boxer owner, so I don't know too much about newborn pups. I'm going to have to spend some time doing some research now that i'm curious.

Best of luck to both you and the pup. I would also call your vet tomorrow to let them know what is going on if you are unsure of how to take care of the pup. Just giving out this advice because I do not know your experience with newborns.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Pups will open their eyes in 10 to 14 days and their ears open a few days after the eyes. For them to really get around it takes at least 3 to 4 weeks. But they do manage to wiggle around quite a bit!

I'd check this article out.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Only 4 days old, that is so young; what happened?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Puppies are born smelling first (nose open), then their eyes open around 12-15 days of age. The retina matures around 21 days of age and the puppy should see clearly by 4 weeks of age.  

The ears open around 14-17 days of age, and they should hear clearly by 4 weeks of age.

Newborn puppies are able to maintain a body temperature about 12

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the sdvice...my wife is doing all the mommy things... :D .....we got an orphaned cat about 4 yrs ago and she took care of it ....just wandering cause never really had a new born boxer before....again thanks for the help....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts