Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our boxerboy Mic has been nipping at people when playing...or, well, actually...when he is excited...happy to see Daddy come home or happy to see a boy...they get down on the floor for hugs,etc and get bit...this last weekend, my hubby was lying down to be on eye level and give hugs and he got nipped two different times, both drawing blood...one on an ear and one on his nose...we are wondering how to discourage this without overdoing it...I think Mic is just very excited to see Daddy...I am unsure of how to handle it constructively..

Thanks

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
If/when you get bit, yell "ouch" and make a big deal out of being hurt.  Then tell him "no bite" in a firm, but not yelling voice.  
That worked for us. :D

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Donner tried this a couple times at about 3-4 months old. I read this great article (can't remember where) about pack behavior and nipping. What it suggested was already mentioned, a loud "yelp" or "ouch" and then walk away ignoring them for a couple minutes. This is how puppies learn not to be too rough when playing with litter mates. And as we all know boxers hate to be ignored! Don't know if anyone else has had success with this, but it worked like a dream with Donner.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh he is definitely excited to see Daddy, and I'm sure Liz will have more to tell ya on how to correct it, but what I would do, when your Hubby/bf comes in, rather than feeding into Mic's excitedness, have Mic do a sit, let him calm down for a minute first. Angel gets extremely excited when people come over and it's been a work in progress teaching her not to jump on people, she has a bad habit of leaping at you and with the men, she ah, gets them in a vital area :oops: Definitely, the yelping real loud works well, it startles them and use the distraction to focus on something positive, like a chew toy....Liz, how am I doing?  :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Nipping is something we address in the puppy and beginner classes. Holly's suggestion (the area pet trainer...see post about bringing Xena to work...it explains who she is) is not making a big deal when you come home. Basically to ignore the dog when you get home until he calms down. Then when he calms down you greet him. For the actual nipping, she suggests exactly what Donnersmom said...to say very loudly, OUCH and walk away for a little while.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts