Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! We are so excited to get our first puppy in the next few weeks. The thing is I am doubting the fact I was told the mom was pure bred. I have seen the dad and think he is 100%. Please see the pics of the mom and puppy I posted and give me any input! I hate to spend a large amount of money on a phoney. We are so new to buying a puppy! We usually adopt from the shelter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Here are pictures of Boxer heads. You will be able to see quite a difference in the Boxer you may get. The Head

Boxers have so many health problems, sometimes I think a mix is better. Will the seller take the puppy back if you vet finds any health issues the first few weeks?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are pictures of Boxer heads. You will be able to see quite a difference in the Boxer you may get. The Head

Boxers have so many health problems, sometimes I think a mix is better. Will the seller take the puppy back if you vet finds any health issues the first few weeks?
I honestly don't have much faith in them if they are telling me after I asked if the mom was full. I think I'm just going to have to move on. I don't mind a mix but I don't wanna pay over 500 for one.....

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I honestly don't have much faith in them if they are telling me after I asked if the mom was full. I think I'm just going to have to move on. I don't mind a mix but I don't wanna pay over 500 for one.....

My guess is this breeder is more of a backyard type breeder as the mom looks boxerish but does not appear to be well bred. (meaning to standard) $500. is not a lot for a boxer if they are well bred, I'd keep looking.

I've learned (from this forum) that boxers have so many health issues and I would want my next boxer to come from health tested lineage. I expect I would have to pay $1500-2500 and thats probably on the low side. If I cannot afford that I'd keep looking for a hobby breeder who knows her line of dogs, may do some testing. My guy come from a breeder who did not health test so I am always worried that he will have a heart problem or worse. But she did show in the past and knew the breed standard and knew the personalities of her dogs and their offspring. So I feel pretty lucky in some respects that I got my pup from her.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! I am new to boxer puppies and even buying purebred puppies! We always have gotten our dogs from the shelter. I am learning the hard way. I've been in contact with a breeder a lot closer to us who breeds not to sell but to get show pups. They are AKC and actually kept one puppy to show herself. She didn't have the time to train her and is now looking for a home for her 6 month old little girl. It may have been a blessing in disguise as she is already house and crate trained. She just a couple months older than we were looking for and I am afraid I'll miss out on the puppy stages....or not! she's health checked and guaranteed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My guess is this breeder is more of a backyard type breeder as the mom looks boxerish but does not appear to be well bred. (meaning to standard) $500. is not a lot for a boxer if they are well bred, I'd keep looking.

I've learned (from this forum) that boxers have so many health issues and I would want my next boxer to come from health tested lineage. I expect I would have to pay $1500-2500 and thats probably on the low side. If I cannot afford that I'd keep looking for a hobby breeder who knows her line of dogs, may do some testing. My guy come from a breeder who did not health test so I am always worried that he will have a heart problem or worse. But she did show in the past and knew the breed standard and knew the personalities of her dogs and their offspring. So I feel pretty lucky in some respects that I got my pup from her.
Is your guy on the smaller side? The one we are looking at from a show breeder is going to be about 45 pounds for a girl. I have heard show breeders tend to have smaller pups but I new to all of This!

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Thanks! I am new to boxer puppies and even buying purebred puppies! We always have gotten our dogs from the shelter. I am learning the hard way. I've been in contact with a breeder a lot closer to us who breeds not to sell but to get show pups. They are AKC and actually kept one puppy to show herself. She didn't have the time to train her and is now looking for a home for her 6 month old little girl. It may have been a blessing in disguise as she is already house and crate trained. She just a couple months older than we were looking for and I am afraid I'll miss out on the puppy stages....or not! she's health checked and guaranteed.

She is pretty and at 6-7 months still very much a puppy. The only stage you will miss is the needle teeth biting. The fact she is crate trained is big to me and that she already is on her way to be housebroken, she probably is and just not trustworthing where you could leave her alone unsupervised. I think this may just be a nice fit for you. Another thing a good breeder will always take back a puppy if you found you couldn't keep her. Plus she probably already has her completed shots and you can socialize her more from the start. Good luck and let us know what you decide. We love hearing all about the puppies and we love lots of pictures.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She is pretty and at 6-7 months still very much a puppy. The only stage you will miss is the needle teeth biting. The fact she is crate trained is big to me and that she already is on her way to be housebroken, she probably is and just not trustworthing where you could leave her alone unsupervised. I think this may just be a nice fit for you. Another thing a good breeder will always take back a puppy if you found you couldn't keep her. Plus she probably already has her completed shots and you can socialize her more from the start. Good luck and let us know what you decide. We love hearing all about the puppies and we love lots of pictures.
Thanks for your feedback! My husband was won over with all the reasons above: no baby teeth biting, crate trained, hoise trained, and already had her shots and records! If we get her it will be next week! My boys, 6 and 9, are so excited to get a boxer!

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Thanks for your feedback! My husband was won over with all the reasons above: no baby teeth biting, crate trained, hoise trained, and already had her shots and records! If we get her it will be next week! My boys, 6 and 9, are so excited to get a boxer!

Aww and with young children I think the older pup is better too. My dog is a male and he is about 76 lbs. He is very laid back except when he is not, lol but really inside he is soft mellow and just chills, outside he will run back and forth in the backyard then settle down. Good luck with your new dog.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You should do the doggie DNA. Would love to hear if there is Chihuahua there!

We got him from a horrible family that wasnt treating him well so we took him i dont really know his age i have appt with vet next week but yesterday when we got him he demolished his food this morning he did as well but right now i tried to feed him and hes not eating is that a problem?>

1 - 20 of 33 Posts