Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deco had his neuter surgery on Friday. He's not happy about the cone, but hasn't managed to get it off yet. He still wants to go for walks and car rides. Is that ok after this soon after surgery? The vet didn't say and they are closed until Tuesday.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
Leashed walks are ok.
No running, jumping or rough housing though.
Smooches to Deco :)

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Awww look at that poor baby! At least he keeps the cone on- Rocco was a bucking bronco! Smooches to the pooches!

·
Registered
806 Posts
haha...!!! yours kept the cone on! K.O. had his gonadectomy on Friday too and was a massive headbanger with a cone and took both of his front paws and ripped it off his head. So much so, the vet saw what he was doing and lunged for him as did the techs and settled him down. We all agreed he wasn't a conehead candidate. He's been wearing small womens shorts to keep his tongue off the incision. He's pretty cute in the shorts!

They'll be fine for car rides. No running. No long walks for 4-5 days. K.O. being the Knucklehead he is this morning jumped off the ground and grabbed a tree branch. Nothing I could do to stop it.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
The purpose of the cone is to prevent them from messing with the incision site. But the cone can be more traumatic for some than the surgery. We got it just incase because the vet said we could return it if we didn't use it. Thankfully we never needed it. Have you tried taking it off to see if it is needed? Agree with the no running, jumping or rough housing. Since mine never looked twice at the incision, that was the hardest part for me because that is all they wanted to do. :doh:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
The vet never gave mason one, and he did great

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
KO. - A friend told me about some alternatives to the cone that are more like an inner tube around their neck. It's suppose to be more comfortable and they have thier periferal vision back. Their were a bunch of different brands with Kong being one of them.

I ended up taking Deco's cone off when I was able to supervise him and he did great without it. He tried to lick his stitches just once; I told him no and he hasn't tried again. I'm still putting it on him at night and during the day now that I"m back at work. Unfortunately I noticed that he has worms in his stool so back to the vet for my boy. He's had an eventful month.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Thanks!

My Knucklehead is very bullheaded. He's no wall flower. Among other males, he would be the Alpha. I let him know in no uncertain terms, he reports to me... but he is VERY stubborn. He's still trying to lick his incision and the surrounding area, when he sees me, he straightens up. He's still wearing girly shorts because of it. :clap2:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Freeze small chunks of peanut butter and put that in a kong toy! My Oley just got his cone off this last Saturday from his neuter. The frozen peanut butter helped keep him calm. He's a crazy rambunctious pup!

Sent from my iPad using PG Free

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Rusty had no interest in licking his incision, but he was not pleased with the cone. I had to leave him for about an hour the day i brought him home and left him with the cone on. i came home to a shambled cone and collar destroyed. so we just left it off and he did great. Dually also didnt wear it and was real good about leaving it alone and we kept a good eye on them

hope he is feeling better

·
Registered
340 Posts
Beau was neutered this past Friday and they didn't give us a cone for him, so I'm on lick patrol! :/ It's been hard to keep him from running and jumping though....

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just curious how old your dogs are & why you decided to do it when you did. I am still debating when to neuter my boy, even though we had a boy & had him neutered at 1 yr, but that was 12 years ago. Thanks!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Just curious how old your dogs are & why you decided to do it when you did. I am still debating when to neuter my boy, even though we had a boy & had him neutered at 1 yr, but that was 12 years ago. Thanks!

Beau is 14 months old We decided to go ahead with neutering because he has had three boughts with demodectic mange since we got him at 4 months of age. I hate having to give him medicine for it because it is so strong. Two different vets at two different facilities told us that neutering helps with the demodectic mange. We also knew that we were never going to breed him and since being diagnosed with the demodex it is highly recommended not to breed, we went ahead and had it done while he was being boarded over Labor Day weekend. First time boarding him, but thought it was a good opportunity to do the neutering while he was in the care and watch of his vet for 4 days.. Worked out well

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Our vet said as soon as both "boys" drop he's ok to be neutered. We know we arent going to breed, have thought about it... But decided we are both too busy with work to do the proper research and from what I've read on here already the testing sounds like it would be expensive. We are still waiting on one to drop but will prob do it over Christmas when "daddy" has a week off for holidays and I will have a limited schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Brooklyn also had the cone..and was like a zombie when wearing it, I guess because she couldn't really see from side to side, so she would literally stand in one spot and not move..when we were home we took the cone off, but I decided to put it on we we left, just because I couldn't catch her licking and stop her..However she never bothered hers or licked it..So after about 2 days, I just took it off

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rncohelp-Deco is between 1-2 years old (he's a rescue so they aren't sure his exact age). He had raging teenage hormones and showed aggression when his girlfriend (my mom's golden retriever) was around. He wouldn't let anyone get near her and would growl/snap at us if we tried. He's been around a few other dogs and it's been fine, but we thought it would be best to neuter him so he wasn't a loose cannon when the canine ladies are around. :doubt:

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is an old thread but I'll post here before starting a new thread. We just had both our girlies spayed last Friday (today is the following Wednesday). They have been wearing their plastic cones a few days then we got them the ones that look like airplane neck pillows. Keep them from jumping and running for 2 weeks????? WHAT?!?!? Have you ever met a Boxer? Have you ever met a puppy? Well, Boxer puppies are nearly impossible to keep sedentary for an hour! Would love some suggestions. We have the frozen Kongs going, some lick pads, bones all over the place...but it just seems like there is no non-food way to get a Boxer to sit still for a day, let alone two weeks. Help! Suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
This is an old thread but I'll post here before starting a new thread. We just had both our girlies spayed last Friday (today is the following Wednesday). They have been wearing their plastic cones a few days then we got them the ones that look like airplane neck pillows. Keep them from jumping and running for 2 weeks????? WHAT?!?!? Have you ever met a Boxer? Have you ever met a puppy? Well, Boxer puppies are nearly impossible to keep sedentary for an hour! Would love some suggestions. We have the frozen Kongs going, some lick pads, bones all over the place...but it just seems like there is no non-food way to get a Boxer to sit still for a day, let alone two weeks. Help! Suggestions welcome.
Two girl's??? Uh Oh ... well, I'll just "ignore that," for the time being .... but to your point. Your just gonna need to deal with it and keep them quite till the stitches heal. You really can't let them "Off leash at all!" Until the stitches heal. Cuz no matter how small an out door space is, they can/will just do "High Speed Circle's," and they will rip those stitches out! Seen it happen, many year's ago ... my bad. :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts