Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So tucker and I live up in PA where I think it is extremely cold lol on average this winter the daily temp has been about 35 degrees maybe 40. We have been well below average for the month of December. For Christmas Tucker and I are driving down to VA beach where the temperature has been above average, the other day I believe it was about 74. I think the temperature should be around mid to upper 50's while we are there... Will this effect Tucker with potty training when we come back from our trip?

My parents also have a fenced in back yard, however, up here he has to be on a leash to go potty as I live in an apartment complex. Should I keep him on the leash to go to the restroom down there, and let him play off the leash in the yard or will it make a difference?

The main thing I am concerned about is him getting used to the warm weather, then coming back up here and either getting sick (from temperature change), or not wanting to go outside to go to the restroom...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I also forgot to say... The reason I asked about the whole leash ordeal is because our old collie would not go on a leash at all. Im thinking it was because he had a fenced in yard for the first 5 years of his life or so, and was able to go to the restroom privately not around the humans... When my parents and I moved up north we did not have a fenced in yard and tried taking him out on the leash to do his business... It didnt work, he would not go. Once we took the leash off he would go all the way down to the end of the backyard and do his stuff as far away from us as possible... That is what I am afraid of, he walked fine on the leash as well, just would not go to the restroom with it on... My parents have a gigantic backyard as well....

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
savannah never was leashed when she went to the bathroom outside before i got her. She had to get used to the idea of being leashed once she came home with me since i live off a very busy road. It took her a while but she eventually got used to doing her buisness on leash. there have been times when she is allowed off leash and does whatever is needed, and doesnt have problems going from off to on...or on to off. Long story short...sorry...i think he will be fine if he is off leash and then going back on once you get back home.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Kiah knows leash is potty and off leash is play when around my house but when we are somewhere else (dog park or my sisters play yard) she will go potty if she needs to.  I think you should be ok off leash while you are gone.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Temperature wise, I wouldn't worry, Tucker should be fine...Some dogs are weird about the potty thing...Tia never would go when we took walks, had to wait til we got home, but if he's used to being leashed, I'd say keep doing it, don't break routine..When he finishes doing his thing, then you can let him off lead for some playtime, which he wil really enjoy.... :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
samsonsmom\";p=\"59230 said:
Temperature wise, I wouldn't worry, Tucker should be fine...Some dogs are weird about the potty thing...Tia never would go when we took walks, had to wait til we got home, but if he's used to being leashed, I'd say keep doing it, don't break routine..When he finishes doing his thing, then you can let him off lead for some playtime, which he wil really enjoy.... :)
thanks all, this is what I was thinking I should do :) thanks for confirming it

I was thinking to myself "hmmm potty on the leash, then the reward for going potty on the leash will be playing off the leash"

Now im worried about ME getting spoiled with the fenced in yard LOL and warm weather.... and the BEACH! im going to be the one who doesnt want to come home... not tucker hahahaha  :p

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I wouldn't put a whole lot of weight on any weather forecasts down here.  I started the day at around 38 degrees, at 1400 it changed to about 50 and then by 1730 I was wearing my coat again because it was 35.  Saturday it was almost 70.  
If you are going down to Pungo, I'm going to flip out because Ringer and I are going to my parent's house with a huge yard but not fenced in.

That said, Ringer hasn't had any potty issues with all the weather changes.  Muddy paws from the rain and he loves to burn outside when it is raining sideways but he doesn't seem to change is habits based on the weather.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[quote="dan.daugherty\";p=\"59282":2g2cvltq]I wouldn't put a whole lot of weight on any weather forecasts down here.

·
Registered
207 Posts
As long as you keep your schedule it should be fine. I would also associate a word with going to potty, just to reassure your pooch about when its time to go. THis works well for me when were are away from home and on the leash, ie. roadtrips and holiday visits

1 - 10 of 10 Posts