Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that Vet prices can range from state to state..Chloe is going in for surgery next week to have 2 lumps taken off and one has to be biopsied for a possible mast cell tumor also going to have her teeth cleaned while she is under.  I have had a few tell me that what they are charging me is insane and to get another estimate somewhere else.  I never went and got another estimate because Chloe loves her vet and she has been going there since she was 8 weeks old. I am really confused now because this is a procedure I never had a dog go thru this. Has anyone had something like this done before?   The estimate I got was 1,360 - 1,685   and this includes the following:

Exam/ Pre-Surgical
Radiograph 14x17
Blood Profile #2
IV Catheterization
Fluids Intravenous Per Liter
C/S Buprenex Inj Per Cc Given
Cefazolin Inj 1 GM 10 Ml
Anesthesia-Sevo & PreMed 1/2 hr
Anesthesia-Seco Add'L Per Unit
Surgical Monitoring, Prep&Mat
Surgery-Cannine (General/Unit)
Dental Prophy Grade 1-2 Canine
Hospitalization
Deramaxx 100 MG Chewable Tab
Simplicef 200 MG
Collar Clic/Cone 30 CM (Large)
Biopsy (1 Site)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't think you're being over charged.  I've inquired about teeth cleaning alone and been given estimates ranging from $250 to $350.  If your price includes the surgery, lab work up for blood and the biopsies I think it's reasonable.  Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Geesh...I don't know. Sounds steep to me. I don't know how much a teeth cleaning is though. If it is 250-350, it still sounds a bit much. I just looked at my bills from when Buster had his tumor's removed. (I know... I keep everything!) For him to have three tumor's removed it was only $174.50, but my vet was really cool and she didn't charge me for anesthesia, injections, or exams. However, when I had him there overnight when he started having his seizures, that cost me $740.00. So, I don't know...if it was me and I liked the vet and my dog liked the vet I would probably get it done there and just pay the fee. But, on the other hand that is an awful lot of money. Then again your vet knows Chloe's history. Can you talk to the vet and just tell them that this estimate seems pretty high to you. Maybe they can explain all the charges in detail, or cut you a break since you have been going there since Chloe was 8 weeks. Tough call. I would just call another vet and explain what Chloe needs to get done and see what they say. Can't hurt to make a phone call. Good Luck and keep us posted on Chloe.  :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
[quote="tootsie\";p=\"26455":2hmwgtl9]Geesh...I don't know. Sounds steep to me. I don't know how much a teeth cleaning is though. If it is 250-350, it still sounds a bit much. I just looked at my bills from when Buster had his tumor's removed. (I know... I keep everything!) For him to have three tumor's removed it was only $174.50, but my vet was really cool and she didn't charge me for anesthesia, injections, or exams. However, when I had him there overnight when he started having his seizures, that cost me $740.00. So, I don't know...if it was me and I liked the vet and my dog liked the vet I would probably get it done there and just pay the fee. But, on the other hand that is an awful lot of money. Then again your vet knows Chloe's history. Can you talk to the vet and just tell them that this estimate seems pretty high to you. Maybe they can explain all the charges in detail, or cut you a break since you have been going there since Chloe was 8 weeks. Tough call. I would just call another vet and explain what Chloe needs to get done and see what they say. Can't hurt to make a phone call. Good Luck and keep us posted on Chloe.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
She only charged me $25.00, $35.00, and $45.00 for the tumor removals. Again, I wasn't charged for anything else. No anesthesia or anything else. I went to the same vet for over 15 years, so I think she cut me a deal at times.  :roll:  I know she is in business to make money, but sometimes the prices were phenominal, but I paid them just because I liked her and Buster liked her, and she was truly an awesome vet and knew her stuff!
That estimate from Shari still seems high to me....  :?  maybe someone else will have a thought on it also.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Lord have mercy!  That is what I have to say on that price!  My comment is opposite  then RottsnBox......I should work where you live.  :D Did they give you a break down of what each of those items cost or just a grand total?  It is true it is higher depending on where you live.  Our area of MS is what would be considered a lower income area/state but our vet prices at time the people here feel are steep.  I will look when I get back to work and run an estimate of doing the same type thing but I am afraid you would fall out at the price difference....Another estimate never hurts but having confidence in your doctor makes up for alot too.....

·
Registered
780 Posts
Sounds pretty high to me but it does depend on where you live.  We are very lucky to have a great vet office that doesn't charge what alot of them around here do.  Our Calli had to have surgery to have a mass of "something" (we never did determine what exactly it was she had eaten) removed from her stomach and with the surgery, three day stay and all extras it was under 1,000.00.  That also included x-rays.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
that sounds a wee bit high to me. I know when i worked at the vets office we would do thesurgery and such for about 500-600.  the amount for routine teeth cleaning was between 125-200. of course this was 4 yrs ago so things may have changed. i would def call around and get at least a second estimate

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We just switched Chloe back to Frontline and Sentinel and I didn't realize they added that on there also because it was on the very bottom, I was in too much shock I guess from looking at the other prices lol..
Here is the prices on everything Sharon, I wish I lived by ya cause you would without a doubt be Chloe's vet!!

Exam/ Pre-Surgical -  0.00
Radiograph 14x17 - 78.00
Blood Profile #2 - 76.00
IV Catheterization - 22.00
Fluids Intravenous Per Liter - 28.00
C/S Buprenex Inj Per Cc Given - 36.00
Cefazolin Inj 1 GM 10 Ml - 18.00
Anesthesia-Sevo & PreMed 1/2 hr - 95.00
Anesthesia-Seco Add'L Per Unit - 138.00-198.00
Surgical Monitoring, Prep&Mat - 40.00
Surgery-Cannine (General/Unit) - 265.00-410.00
Dental Prophy Grade 1-2 Canine - 125.00-240.00
Hospitalization - 24.00
Deramaxx 100 MG Chewable Tab - 37.85
Simplicef 200 MG - 42.65
Collar Clic/Cone 30 CM (Large) - 16.74
Biopsy (1 Site) -  124.00
Sentinel 6 pack (51-100 lbs) - 94.00
Frontline Plus 6 pack (45-88 lbs) - 100.00

·
Registered
152 Posts
If your vet is top-notch, I'd say it's probably worth it.  Personally, I wouldn't want to save $500 and get a place that cuts corners.  If you've already been going there, ask yourself if they deserve your business and have they earned the right to charge a premium.  If they've always complied with everything you've asked, always treated your dog above average and always give you the best service, then that's where you should stay.  It's worth it to me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts