Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wink:  Seeing as how you live in Hawaii...I have no idea if you have ever lived anywhere else...but here goes...what does everybody do with their dogs in the Winter...Boxers are so high energy...and I know they are not real tolerant of cold...where we live it snows...obviously they would not be expected to go out in below zero stuff...but, what about some kind of outdoor exercise in the Winter? My sis in law has a big yard and her dogs can just go in and out as they please...but, we don't...we are setting up an area big enough for some exercise in the garage(which we can heat!) But, I think they need more then that, don't they?  This will be their first Winter of course...and i want to get a head start on making sure it's a good one!

THanks in advance! :D

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
They make dog coats.

I have lived in a lot of places (not originally from Hawaii and a military vet) with Boxers and we've been stuck in cold weather.  These coatsare great...

Here's a great site thatssells some... you can also google coats like this for your pooches...

http://www.youractivepet.com/cgi-local/ ... ?E+scstore

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I live on the 30th parallel so we get temps anywhere from 0 to 110 generally.  I have a friend who has two dobermans and a husky and he puts booties on the dogs when it snows and it works pretty well.  I've seen sweaters on the dogs also, but I don't know if that's just because they wanted to dress them up.  Dobies have similar coats and if that is why our Boxers have cold issues, the sweater should work for our dogs too.  Plus they can get dressed up for the holidays!  :eek:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Jeanene, believe it or not, they will probably love the snow! Like Liz said, you can get coats and also boots for them...You just need to make sure that they don't stay out for a real long time, then when you bring them in, wipe off their feet really well.....My 2 had a ball in the snow when they were quarantined..I wish I could have gotten some pics of Buck trying to catch snowballs....

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Sorry, I can't even imagine Maddie in the snow! When it goes down to 60 degrees here we turn on the heat, and Maddie will run outside like her butt is on fire, do her business and come back in. A lot of people live up north and I've seen plenty of videos of Boxers romping in the snow with their coats and booties on. Looks like they have a blast in that stuff. I'm sure your two will be fine. I would just invest in a couple of coats for them. They will let you know if they are too cold.
I guess it's pretty much the same as in the summer here. We don't venture out after 9 am or before 6 pm. It's all indoors. Just too darn hot right now.  :wink:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Look for waterproof booties...a lot of them are just fleece or something, which does not good as the water just soaks right in.  Abby walked on "tip toes" for the first few days but then got used to them. A coat as recommended and also I have used on of those big fleecy neck covers that we wear to put over her head and pull down to cover her chest a bit...the dog coats don't really cover that area.  You can also loop a regular scarf around their neck and chest, just sort of tuck it into itself after.
Abby hated the snow until Brady came around...then she saw him eating snow and now I can barely get her to pee out there bc she just lays down and starts eating the snow. For a good outdoor game (and Brady LOVES this), throw snowballs (that way you don't have to go tramping through the snow looking for the ball when it gets buried in the snow and they can't find it. Brady loves to try to catch the snowballs in his mouth and waits for the next one. A big flat colorful lightweight toy (like a cheap frisbe) is also good because it tends to land on top of the snow rather than bury itself down. Just be careful on how long the boxers stay out there...do more frequent shorter spurts than you normally would.  Brady, a cocker, LOVES to just sit out there and watch the snow blow around, but he's got a better coat for it.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I was worried about that too, but I guess it's just letting them out to go potty and if they want to play a bit they'll soon learn when to knock at the door to come back in.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
My girl is fine in cold weather!! Obviously we dont leave her out in it but seriously she LOVES it!!!!

This IMO but I just cant see buying booties for dogs lmao Granted I do have a coat for Roxy but thats for when temps go into extremes!!!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Lilly wears booties anyways (darn hot pavement and sand), but in cold weather its great!!!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
THank you all SO much...I was just worried because i have heard over and over that "they don't do well in extreme hot or cold" so, I wasn't sure if a coat would be enough...glad to hear it will...granted there are times here when the outdoors is fit for neither man nor beast...(22 below zero hurts! It was quite an adjustment having grown up in Hawaii!)

Liz, I see you would probably have more experience with dogs and cold then I do! ;) I just wasn't sure...in your wedding pics I would have said there was a chance that you were hapa haole(half caucasian and half something local) my kids are hapa...

Well thanks again for the info! I am going to get on it so we are prepared for the cold when it comes...we never know if we are going to have an Indian Summer  8) or an early Winter!! 8O

:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Greetings. We live in northeast Pa. where it can get cold and snowy. Both my boxers love to play in the snow. I do not leave them out more then 1/2 hour at a time though and we do have an igloo box filled with straw, in their playyard,  should they want to get it out of weather. They like snow much, much better then rain. When it rains I practically have to give them a push out the door and they they try to stand under my umbrella.  :)

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Thanks you all for the tips and links. It gets really cold her where I'm from in Canada. -35 celsius sometimes...brrrr. I will defiantly have to invest in some booties and a coat for Sadie!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts